SQL Links 3.5 -- WOW!

For those of you who have been following my adventures with SQL Server
6.0, ODBC issues, SQL links performance, I thought I'd give you the
results.

We finally for in SQL Links 3.5 and immediately installed them.  After
converting my program to the 32 bit world, I gave it a run.  Wow.  Wow.
WOW!!!

The past few days I have been going over my code line by line, improving
performance and how I am doing some heavy duty string parsing.  In that
along, I reduced my processing time by 5 seconds (down to 4.40).  After
converting over to the 32 bit world, with SQL links, I am down to 2.4
seconds!!!  This is awesome because my program is supposed to relay
things in *REAL TIME*.  This is sooooo cool!!!

Borland, well done!

To everyone in the newsgroups, again, my thanks and best wishes for a
happy and safe holiday!

Greg
- one real happy guy :)
--
+-------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
|Greg Postlewait Consulting     |Portland Oregon Delphi User's Group  |

Re:SQL Links 3.5 -- WOW!

Greg Postlewait <gp...@teleport.com> wrote:
>For those of you who have been following my adventures with SQL Server
>6.0, ODBC issues, SQL links performance, I thought I'd give you the
>results.

I am very happy for you. In my experience the new 32 bit CT-Lib
drivers for Sybase perform about 3 times slower than the old ones.
Guess that we will stick to the old drivers and associated problems.

Re:SQL Links 3.5 -- WOW!

Russell Smith wrote:

> Greg Postlewait <gp...@teleport.com> wrote:

> >For those of you who have been following my adventures with SQL Server
> >6.0, ODBC issues, SQL links performance, I thought I'd give you the
> >results.

> I am very happy for you. In my experience the new 32 bit CT-Lib
> drivers for Sybase perform about 3 times slower than the old ones.
> Guess that we will stick to the old drivers and associated problems.

Russell,

You should take a look at: http://www.borland.com/bde/speedtips.html.
This document outlines some things that you can do to optimize
performance.  In particular there is a new parameter called TDS packet
size.  We default this to Sybase's default of 512.  However, it is much
much faster when you set up the server to 4096 and the SQL Links to
4096.  Give it a try.

Mike Destein
Product Mgr.
BDE/SQL Links