Delphi exe file runs fine in Win95, but hogs mem in NT351

I have written approximately 25 small delphi file utility type
programs that run on both Win95 and WinNT351. Except for one all
work equally well on both systems. The one program runs fine in
Win95 but in NT, the system continues to commit more and more of
the total system memory to this one program, the NT system
monitor reports it is using as much as 60meg (on a 64meg
machine).

I have the program print out the TotalAllocated memory while it
is running and on both systems is reports approximately 100k.
Yet when running on the NT the program slows down dramatically.
Has anyone else experienced this type of difference between
delphi exes on Win95 and NT351.

Thanks for your help.

--
allanpow...@worldnet.att.net.

Re:Delphi exe file runs fine in Win95, but hogs mem in NT351

On 7 Feb 1997 04:08:27 GMT, "Allan Powell"

<allanpow...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>I have written approximately 25 small delphi file utility type
>programs that run on both Win95 and WinNT351. Except for one all
>work equally well on both systems. The one program runs fine in
>Win95 but in NT, the system continues to commit more and more of
>the total system memory to this one program, the NT system
>monitor reports it is using as much as 60meg (on a 64meg
>machine).

>I have the program print out the TotalAllocated memory while it
>is running and on both systems is reports approximately 100k.
>Yet when running on the NT the program slows down dramatically.
>Has anyone else experienced this type of difference between
>delphi exes on Win95 and NT351.

>Thanks for your help.

>--
>allanpow...@worldnet.att.net.

"fantastic" to hear from you. i personally have the same problem with
an app. i checked it for hours and couldnt find an error - but it
happens as you describe it.

unfortunatly if dont have the possibility yet to test it on a win95
system.

question: do you use some tree-component in this app?

best regards

alex

==========
  Dipl.Ing. Alexander Schatten
  Institute of General Chemistry  - Vienna University of Technology
  email: asch...@fbch.tuwien.ac.at - http://qspr03.tuwien.ac.at/~aschatt
  Getreidemarkt 9/152
  A-1060 Vienna, Austria
                             ==========
  private Tel.:   +43 1 914-29-84
  private Adress: Gallitzinstr.7-13/7/7 / 1160 Vienna / Austria / Europe
                                                               ===========

Re:Delphi exe file runs fine in Win95, but hogs mem in NT351

Thank you Aleander for your comments regarding the problem I was having.

As it turned out the memory problem I encountered had to do with the use of
Variant Arrays. I  was assigning the values of the elements of the array to
simple integers and strings. It seems the whole array or at least each
element on the right side of the := sign was being copied. Not exactly what
I had in mind. Anyway, I replaced the variant arrays with TString objects
and even though I have to use the strtoint() function often, the
performance
is what I was looking for and the drag on memory was eliminated.

I guess you learn something new no matter how much you work with this
stuff.

Interestingly, both Win95 and NT351 expanded memory when using the variant
arrays, but NT did not handle the expansion of the memory as well as Win95.
The copying of variant elements was happening on both platforms but
performance was only seriously impacted on the NT351 system.

I am a system integrator using any of the programming languages I have to
do to accomplish the  task. I work in the greater New York area. If I can
help you in any way let me know.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Allan

Alexander Schatten <asch...@fbch.tuwien.ac.at> wrote in article
<32fc9a76.2913...@news.tuwien.ac.at>...

> On 7 Feb 1997 04:08:27 GMT, "Allan Powell"
> <allanpow...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> >I have written approximately 25 small delphi file utility type
> >programs that run on both Win95 and WinNT351. Except for one all
> >work equally well on both systems. The one program runs fine in
> >Win95 but in NT, the system continues to commit more and more of
> >the total system memory to this one program, the NT system
> >monitor reports it is using as much as 60meg (on a 64meg
> >machine).

> >I have the program print out the TotalAllocated memory while it
> >is running and on both systems is reports approximately 100k.
> >Yet when running on the NT the program slows down dramatically.
> >Has anyone else experienced this type of difference between
> >delphi exes on Win95 and NT351.

> >Thanks for your help.

> >--
> >allanpow...@worldnet.att.net.

> "fantastic" to hear from you. i personally have the same problem with
> an app. i checked it for hours and couldnt find an error - but it
> happens as you describe it.

> unfortunatly if dont have the possibility yet to test it on a win95
> system.

> question: do you use some tree-component in this app?

> best regards

> alex

> ==========
>   Dipl.Ing. Alexander Schatten
>   Institute of General Chemistry  - Vienna University of Technology
>   email: asch...@fbch.tuwien.ac.at - http://qspr03.tuwien.ac.at/~aschatt
>   Getreidemarkt 9/152
>   A-1060 Vienna, Austria
>   private Tel.:   +43 1 914-29-84
>   private Adress: Gallitzinstr.7-13/7/7 / 1160 Vienna / Austria / Europe

Other Threads