Designing, storing, printing Vector graphics

Some years ago I write an app for a client that allows the user to
print forms by overlaying a text file on a bitmap representation of a
pre-printed form, and dumping the resulting bitmap to the printer.

It's a simple technique, but it has serious limitations, both in speed
(print job size) and quality. Even using Joe Hecht's TEIPrinter (which
works very well), there are limits to how much you can squeeze and
stretch an arbitrary bitmap onto an arbitrary printer and still get
high quality results.

So, after a lot of discussion, we've decided we need to ditch the
bitmap technique and look at vector printing - the Printer Demos at
efg (www.efg2.com/Lab/OtherProjects/PrinterProjects.htm) have provided
an excellent illustration of the printing side of the problem and the
outstanding quality of the results.

However, there is the other side - how to give the end user the
ability to design their own forms at will, how to store/read those
designs, and how to merge them with the text to be printed on the form
at run time. I'm sure this is the right direction to go, but the
technical hurdles are daunting.

Does anyone have any tips, code, pointers, or even high-end conceptual
comments to offer? I'm interested in any ideas or observations!

Thanks in advance
Eric Schreiber

--

Kobayashi Software
www.kobayashi.com

Re:Designing, storing, printing Vector graphics

Eric Schreiber <eric@_nospam_kobayashi.com> wrote:
>So, after a lot of discussion, we've decided we need to ditch the
>bitmap technique and look at vector printing - the Printer Demos at
>efg (www.efg2.com/Lab/OtherProjects/PrinterProjects.htm) have provided
>an excellent illustration of the printing side of the problem and the
>outstanding quality of the results.
>However, there is the other side - how to give the end user the
>ability to design their own forms at will, how to store/read those
>designs, and how to merge them with the text to be printed on the form
>at run time. I'm sure this is the right direction to go, but the
>technical hurdles are daunting.

I've narrowed down the search a bit. I've abandoned the idea of
writing a tool for designing and storing vector graphics. The EMF
(enhanced metafile) format appears to be exactly the critter I want,
and there are good, well-priced shareware packages that allow for
creating EMF files. A relief to have that resolved.

So now I'm working with EMF files in code (via TGraphic), learning as
I go. I'll still welcome any tips, code, pointers, or even high-end
conceptual comments!

Eric Schreiber

--

Kobayashi Software
www.kobayashi.com

Re:Designing, storing, printing Vector graphics

Eric,

> The EMF
> (enhanced metafile) format appears to be exactly the critter I want,
> and there are good, well-priced shareware packages that allow for
> creating EMF files. A relief to have that resolved.

Do you know if EMF handles text & fonts too?

Thanks.

Mark Jerde
Biometrics - www.idtechpartners.com

Mark Jerde <mark.je...@NOSPAMverizon.net> wrote:
>Do you know if EMF handles text & fonts too?

I am not an expert, but ...

Using the shareware program ZonerDraw, I was easily able to put text
on a document and export it to EMF format, and the text showed up
perfectly in my test application.

So, I think that means the answer to your question is "yes", but I
don't know (yet) what level of support there is. I pretty much expect
to spend my day tinkering with it - if I have any new insight I'll
post it here.

--

Kobayashi Software
www.kobayashi.com

Re:Designing, storing, printing Vector graphics

Eric,

> the shareware program ZonerDraw

Thanks for the info.

Mark Jerde