Strange thing

Hi

I wrote some code for my students (about 10 students).

my software is an .exe that use 9 Dll.
Each Dll contains a form.

On some 2 students computer, one
under MS W2000 the other under MS W98 Release 2
the program can't find the Dll.
While it works fine on the other under the same
environnement.

What are the possible causes ?

Cheers

Re:Strange thing

On Wed, 09 May 2001 19:37:10 GMT, "Humain01" <humai...@ifrance.com>
wrote:

>Hi

>I wrote some code for my students (about 10 students).

>my software is an .exe that use 9 Dll.
>Each Dll contains a form.

>On some 2 students computer, one
>under MS W2000 the other under MS W98 Release 2
>the program can't find the Dll.
>While it works fine on the other under the same
>environnement.

>What are the possible causes ?

Where are you putting the DLLs?

If you aren't already, my first recommendation is to place them in the
WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder ("WINDOWS\SYSTEM" on 95/98/ME or
"WINNT\SYSTEM32" on NT/2000) and try again.

Stephen Posey
slpo...@concentric.net

Re:Strange thing

On the W2000 system, my students tried
to put the Dll everywhere the system
search (these path are shown in the
error message).

With no result.

Stephen Posey <slpo...@concentric.net> a crit dans le message :
3afc0cf0.10369...@news.concentric.net...

> On Wed, 09 May 2001 19:37:10 GMT, "Humain01" <humai...@ifrance.com>
> wrote:

> >Hi

> >I wrote some code for my students (about 10 students).

> >my software is an .exe that use 9 Dll.
> >Each Dll contains a form.

> >On some 2 students computer, one
> >under MS W2000 the other under MS W98 Release 2
> >the program can't find the Dll.
> >While it works fine on the other under the same
> >environnement.

> >What are the possible causes ?

> Where are you putting the DLLs?

> If you aren't already, my first recommendation is to place them in the
> WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder ("WINDOWS\SYSTEM" on 95/98/ME or
> "WINNT\SYSTEM32" on NT/2000) and try again.

> Stephen Posey
> slpo...@concentric.net

Re:Strange thing

On Fri, 11 May 2001 09:40:26 GMT, "Humain01" <humai...@ifrance.com>
wrote:

>On the W2000 system, my students tried
>to put the Dll everywhere the system
>search (these path are shown in the
>error message).

>With no result.

What is the exact wording of the error message you're getting?

Do the DLLs perhaps rely on something else being installed that may
not be present?

I've been bitten more than once by accidentally compiling in part of
the BDE functionality of Delphi then being baffled why the program
wouldn't run on another machine until I pieced together that it was
looking for the BDE.

Stephen Posey
slpo...@concentric.net

Re:Strange thing

Ok. But can you give me an example of 'compiling in part of

> the BDE functionality' ?

I don't see what you mean.

Eric

Stephen Posey <slpo...@concentric.net> a crit dans le message :
3afdb327.8987...@news.concentric.net...

> On Fri, 11 May 2001 09:40:26 GMT, "Humain01" <humai...@ifrance.com>
> wrote:

> >On the W2000 system, my students tried
> >to put the Dll everywhere the system
> >search (these path are shown in the
> >error message).

> >With no result.

> What is the exact wording of the error message you're getting?

> Do the DLLs perhaps rely on something else being installed that may
> not be present?

> I've been bitten more than once by accidentally compiling in part of
> the BDE functionality of Delphi then being baffled why the program
> wouldn't run on another machine until I pieced together that it was
> looking for the BDE.

> Stephen Posey
> slpo...@concentric.net

Re:Strange thing

On Mon, 14 May 2001 20:30:15 GMT, "Humain01" <humai...@ifrance.com>
wrote:

>Ok. But can you give me an example of 'compiling in part of
>> the BDE functionality' ?

>I don't see what you mean.

What can happen is at some point you dropped a data-aware or
data-access component on a form (perhaps accidentally or temporarily
to test some idea), which causes the relevant units to get included in
the uses clause.

Later removing the component from the project does not automatically
also remove the uses clause references, so can may still be compiling
in some DB-related code even if you aren't using DB components.

Similar problems can arise from having placed an OLE control on a form
or with any unit that includes initialization code that may load a DLL
(explicitly or not).

wrote:

>Ok. But can you give me an example of 'compiling in part of
>> the BDE functionality' ?

>I don't see what you mean.

>Eric

Hell's bells, I must be asleep, this is c.l.p.b so we aren't talking
about Delphi are we? Sorry.

The point about unit initialization code unexpectedly loading DLLs is
still valid though.

Stephen Posey
slpo...@concentric.net

Re:Strange thing

Hi Stephen

We talked about a problem of dlls that were
working well under MS98 and not under W2000.

I've  found what was the problem.

W2000 is case sensitive and not W98 with
the name of the dll.

Eric

Stephen Posey <slpo...@concentric.net> a crit dans le message :
3afc0cf0.10369...@news.concentric.net...

> On Wed, 09 May 2001 19:37:10 GMT, "Humain01" <humai...@ifrance.com>
> wrote:

> >Hi

> >I wrote some code for my students (about 10 students).

> >my software is an .exe that use 9 Dll.
> >Each Dll contains a form.

> >On some 2 students computer, one
> >under MS W2000 the other under MS W98 Release 2
> >the program can't find the Dll.
> >While it works fine on the other under the same
> >environnement.

> >What are the possible causes ?

> Where are you putting the DLLs?

> If you aren't already, my first recommendation is to place them in the
> WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder ("WINDOWS\SYSTEM" on 95/98/ME or
> "WINNT\SYSTEM32" on NT/2000) and try again.

> Stephen Posey
> slpo...@concentric.net

Other Threads