Win 98 and hardware ports

Dave Higgs wrote in message <6jk386$tq...@news.global.co.za>...
>Hi.

>We have a point of sale system which uteilses the LPTxx ports for printing
>(to dot matrix) and this is far faster than print manager.  In addition we
>send till totals to the pole display (serial) via access to the port.

>We can't seem to get a way to do this in 98? any suggestions?

Did it work in Win95? Try using CreateFile to open  the port. It's in the
Win Help file.

        -- Kirk

Re:Win 98 and hardware ports

Hi.

We have a point of sale system which uteilses the LPTxx ports for printing
(to dot matrix) and this is far faster than print manager.  In addition we
send till totals to the pole display (serial) via access to the port.

We can't seem to get a way to do this in 98? any suggestions?

Dave Higgs
Premier Software

Re:Win 98 and hardware ports

In article <6jk386$tq...@news.global.co.za>, dhi...@ps.co.za says...

>Hi.

>We have a point of sale system which uteilses the LPTxx ports for printing
>(to dot matrix) and this is far faster than print manager.  In addition we
>send till totals to the pole display (serial) via access to the port.

>We can't seem to get a way to do this in 98? any suggestions?

   Win98 remove hardware port access just as NT does.  Either get an access
component (Turbopower does serial, I don't know about parallel,  Tvichw32
allows direct access in 95 and NT thus should work in 98.).  Otherwise, as
suggested open LPTxx via file call.

-John_Mer...@Brown.EDU

Other Threads