Board index » delphi » Creating an Excel spreadsheet from a table

Creating an Excel spreadsheet from a table

Does anyone know of a existing component that will allow the data stored in
a table to be exported as an Excel spreadsheet?  I've found a couple but
they use DDE and require a copy of Excel.  I would ideally like to just
create the .XLS file.

Any help if greatly appreciated.

Andy Dix

 

Re:Creating an Excel spreadsheet from a table


Quote
Andy Dix wrote:

> Does anyone know of a existing component that will allow the data stored in
> a table to be exported as an Excel spreadsheet?  I've found a couple but
> they use DDE and require a copy of Excel.  I would ideally like to just
> create the .XLS file.

I would sometimes also have use for this kind of component. One guy told
me
that the problem is not that the pascal code to create .XLS files would
be
too easy to accomplish.
You can get the description of XLS file format from Microsoft, but the
documentation was already a couple of years ago about 60 pages! And
after
that there has become one or two new Excel releases + all the Win95
stuff.

Looks like we still have to deal with comma limited Import/Export
functions
with Excel.

Re:Creating an Excel spreadsheet from a table


On Wed, 04 Dec 1996 10:59:07 -0800, Markku Nevalainen

Quote
<mneva...@netlife.fi> wrote:
>Andy Dix wrote:

>> Does anyone know of a existing component that will allow the data stored in
>> a table to be exported as an Excel spreadsheet?  I've found a couple but
>> they use DDE and require a copy of Excel.  I would ideally like to just
>> create the .XLS file.

>Looks like we still have to deal with comma limited Import/Export
>functions
>with Excel.

The Borland RAD pack (Delphi 1 only) contains a spread sheet VBX that
is able to export Excel 4.0; AFAIK you can use the VBX invisibly and
drive it perfectly to only do the export...
--
Stefan Hoffmeister                   Stefan.Hoffmeis...@Uni-Passau.de
University of Passau, Bavaria, Germany

Re:Creating an Excel spreadsheet from a table


Quote
Andy Dix wrote:

> Does anyone know of a existing component that will allow the data stored in
> a table to be exported as an Excel spreadsheet?  I've found a couple but
> they use DDE and require a copy of Excel.  I would ideally like to just
> create the .XLS file.

> Any help if greatly appreciated.

> Andy Dix

You could use the OLE Automation features of Delphi 2.0 and the Office
developer's kit . Delphi 2.0 includes demos to create and control Word
files, so I imagine, you could use pretty much the same procedure to
build a .XLS document.

_____________________________________

Imran Ali
mailto:im...@enterprise.net
http://homepages.enterprise.net/imran
_____________________________________

Re:Creating an Excel spreadsheet from a table


I use the Visual Components VBX (16 bit) and OCX (32 bit). You can
create Excel compatible stuff within your own program. Their stuff is
excellent, as is the support. (I have no connection with the company!)
They are at http://www.visualcomp.com

The demo for WaterMod on my web page (http://www.greenhat.com) uses
these tools.

Ian

Quote
Imran Ali wrote:

> Andy Dix wrote:

> > Does anyone know of a existing component that will allow the data stored in
> > a table to be exported as an Excel spreadsheet?  I've found a couple but
> > they use DDE and require a copy of Excel.  I would ideally like to just
> > create the .XLS file.

> > Any help if greatly appreciated.

> > Andy Dix

> You could use the OLE Automation features of Delphi 2.0 and the Office
> developer's kit . Delphi 2.0 includes demos to create and control Word
> files, so I imagine, you could use pretty much the same procedure to
> build a .XLS document.

> _____________________________________

> Imran Ali
> mailto:im...@enterprise.net
> http://homepages.enterprise.net/imran
> _____________________________________

--
----------------------------------------------------------------
Ian Johnson
Greenhat Software;  IMJ Consultants Pty Ltd

www.greenhat.com    i...@greenhat.com

ph/fax:  Within Australia:       067 712133
         Outside Australia: (+61) 67 712133
----------------------------------------------------------------

Other Threads