Board index » delphi » Locks and number of users in Paradox. HELP!

Locks and number of users in Paradox. HELP!

Hi all! I'm coding an aplication based on Paradox, which must work in a
network. The problem is that locks aren't working properly:
I have 3 computers, one of them has the directory with the database and the
2 others
use that data. I also want to work in the server, with the same data. t have
2 problems:

1) I just can use 2 of the computers. If I try to use my application
with a third one
(the 3 workstations), the BDE shows me a "Directory locked" message.

2) Using just 2 computers, one of them the server, locks don't work. I
can edit the same data
at the same time, he doesn't lock the record. How ever, if I do the
same between 2
workstations (not the server), locks work perfectly!

What am I doin wrong? Please, I need some help. Thanks a lot in advance.

 

Re:Locks and number of users in Paradox. HELP!


Make the following modifications in the BDE Administrator on all PCs:
- Set Configuration | Drivers | Native | PARADOX | NET DIR to the network
directory with the database (UNC format).
- Set Configuration | System | INIT | LOCAL SHARE to True (avoids database
corruption).

"Andrs RM" <andres...@ole.com> schreef in bericht
news:8ja1pr$8j1$1@lola.ctv.es...

Quote
> Hi all! I'm coding an aplication based on Paradox, which must work in a
> network. The problem is that locks aren't working properly:
> I have 3 computers, one of them has the directory with the database and
the
> 2 others
> use that data. I also want to work in the server, with the same data. t
have
> 2 problems:

> 1) I just can use 2 of the computers. If I try to use my application
> with a third one
> (the 3 workstations), the BDE shows me a "Directory locked" message.

> 2) Using just 2 computers, one of them the server, locks don't work. I
> can edit the same data
> at the same time, he doesn't lock the record. How ever, if I do the
> same between 2
> workstations (not the server), locks work perfectly!

> What am I doin wrong? Please, I need some help. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re:Locks and number of users in Paradox. HELP!


That's it!! Thanks a lot, I was about to get crazy! I re-checked the LOCAL
SHARE
on every machine, and also the paths. I think the problem was I was using
the same directory
for the Net dir and the Data dir, or that I was using C:\ as the Private
Dir, which isn't recommended
at the Borland's page. I now have a little problem with data refreshment,
but locks
work cool. The thing is that althogh I close and re-open the query, it
doesn't shows the real data
until I'm about to edit it. And I have also a little question: If files
*.lck control the locks on tables,
and since they should be on each computer, how the database knows which
record is locked?
Does she read all *.lck files, on every computer? I don't think so, so how
is it done?
Thanks a lot, you saved me!

M.H. Avegaart <avega...@NOSPAMmccomm.nl> escribi en el mensaje de noticias
8ja4lv$4u...@porthos.nl.uu.net...

Quote
> Make the following modifications in the BDE Administrator on all PCs:
> - Set Configuration | Drivers | Native | PARADOX | NET DIR to the network
> directory with the database (UNC format).
> - Set Configuration | System | INIT | LOCAL SHARE to True (avoids database
> corruption).

> "Andrs RM" <andres...@ole.com> schreef in bericht
> news:8ja1pr$8j1$1@lola.ctv.es...
> > Hi all! I'm coding an aplication based on Paradox, which must work in a
> > network. The problem is that locks aren't working properly:
> > I have 3 computers, one of them has the directory with the database and
> the
> > 2 others
> > use that data. I also want to work in the server, with the same data. t
> have
> > 2 problems:

> > 1) I just can use 2 of the computers. If I try to use my application
> > with a third one
> > (the 3 workstations), the BDE shows me a "Directory locked" message.

> > 2) Using just 2 computers, one of them the server, locks don't work. I
> > can edit the same data
> > at the same time, he doesn't lock the record. How ever, if I do the
> > same between 2
> > workstations (not the server), locks work perfectly!

> > What am I doin wrong? Please, I need some help. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re:Locks and number of users in Paradox. HELP!


a. Closing and reopening should refresh all data (except when you enabled
caching)
b. The .lck files are in the NET DIR directory (should be the same network
drive for all PCs)

"Andrs RM" <andres...@ole.com> schreef in bericht
news:8jcgln$j0f$1@lola.ctv.es...

Quote
> That's it!! Thanks a lot, I was about to get crazy! I re-checked the LOCAL
> SHARE
> on every machine, and also the paths. I think the problem was I was using
> the same directory
> for the Net dir and the Data dir, or that I was using C:\ as the Private
> Dir, which isn't recommended
> at the Borland's page. I now have a little problem with data refreshment,
> but locks
> work cool. The thing is that althogh I close and re-open the query, it
> doesn't shows the real data
> until I'm about to edit it. And I have also a little question: If files
> *.lck control the locks on tables,
> and since they should be on each computer, how the database knows which
> record is locked?
> Does she read all *.lck files, on every computer? I don't think so, so how
> is it done?
> Thanks a lot, you saved me!

> M.H. Avegaart <avega...@NOSPAMmccomm.nl> escribi en el mensaje de
noticias
> 8ja4lv$4u...@porthos.nl.uu.net...
> > Make the following modifications in the BDE Administrator on all PCs:
> > - Set Configuration | Drivers | Native | PARADOX | NET DIR to the
network
> > directory with the database (UNC format).
> > - Set Configuration | System | INIT | LOCAL SHARE to True (avoids
database
> > corruption).

> > "Andrs RM" <andres...@ole.com> schreef in bericht
> > news:8ja1pr$8j1$1@lola.ctv.es...
> > > Hi all! I'm coding an aplication based on Paradox, which must work in
a
> > > network. The problem is that locks aren't working properly:
> > > I have 3 computers, one of them has the directory with the database
and
> > the
> > > 2 others
> > > use that data. I also want to work in the server, with the same data.
t
> > have
> > > 2 problems:

> > > 1) I just can use 2 of the computers. If I try to use my application
> > > with a third one
> > > (the 3 workstations), the BDE shows me a "Directory locked" message.

> > > 2) Using just 2 computers, one of them the server, locks don't work. I
> > > can edit the same data
> > > at the same time, he doesn't lock the record. How ever, if I do the
> > > same between 2
> > > workstations (not the server), locks work perfectly!

> > > What am I doin wrong? Please, I need some help. Thanks a lot in
advance.

Other Threads