Lookup fileds doesn't work with certain MDAC-versions

Hi,

to overcome the problem with SQL Create Table, wich I dewscribed a while
ago, I got the stuped idea to download a newer version of Office 2000.
The result: Lookupfields defined in BetterADODataSet doesn't work. MDAC
version 2.5 RTN (2.50.4403.12) was probably installed. I have another
computer with MDAC 2.1 SP2 (2.1.2.4202.3) GA where it works.

I had a similar problem some weeks ago when I should transfer the
program to a Win2000 computer. Nothing was found in certain lookup
fields. Then I tried both ADODataSet and BetterADODataset, and the
latter version worked better the the original one, but with complicated
relationships among my tables, also BetterADO failed. However, after
upgrading that computer to Win2000 sp2, at least the BetterADO version
worked.

Do anyone know what workes and what doesn't?

Re:Lookup fileds doesn't work with certain MDAC-versions

Hi again,

after uppdating to MDAC ver. 2.6, the Lookup fields worked again.

/Bengt

Bengt H?kansson wrote:
> Hi,

> to overcome the problem with SQL Create Table, wich I dewscribed a while
> ago, I got the stuped idea to download a newer version of Office 2000.
> The result: Lookupfields defined in BetterADODataSet doesn't work. MDAC
> version 2.5 RTN (2.50.4403.12) was probably installed. I have another
> computer with MDAC 2.1 SP2 (2.1.2.4202.3) GA where it works.

> I had a similar problem some weeks ago when I should transfer the
> program to a Win2000 computer. Nothing was found in certain lookup
> fields. Then I tried both ADODataSet and BetterADODataset, and the
> latter version worked better the the original one, but with complicated
> relationships among my tables, also BetterADO failed. However, after
> upgrading that computer to Win2000 sp2, at least the BetterADO version
> worked.

> Do anyone know what workes and what doesn't?

Re:Lookup fileds doesn't work with certain MDAC-versions

Bengt,

What exactly do you mean by "lookup fields" and how do they fail?

--
Vassil Nazarov
http://web.orbitel.bg/vassil/

Re:Lookup fileds doesn't work with certain MDAC-versions

Hi Vassil,

Unfortunately, I didnt recognize your response from the 2nd of November
until now.

I am developing an application where I use ADOTables, Tdatasources,
TDBGrids, TDBNavigators and Access2000 database. Before I had no
relations in the database, but I introduced such after advices from the
newsgroup.  The relevant part of my file structure is this:

 Product    Crop
     /          /       \
    /    Batch    CropRow
   /     /       \
 Price      BatchRow

The relationships shown are now also defined in the database. Before
they were only in the program. Master fields are specified in the
BetterADODataSets. The link is specified in the Field Link Designer.
These relations have always worked without problems.

However, I have two other relationship among the files that must be
handled.
1. Every BatchRow corresponds to a CropRow and there is certain
information on the CropRows that I need on the BatchRow. There is a
headline and there is information about slaes amounts. To retreive these
data, I define one Lookup field for the headline and one for sales
amount in the BatchRowDataSet. (Fields editor/Add field)

2. If a batch is sold the lookup field SalesAmount in the
BatchRowDataSet > 0.  In the PriceDataSet I have a Lookup field where I
use this sales amount in the BatchRowDatSet to mark if there is
something to sell that week.

Relation no 2 has been  the most difficult to get to work properly. It
only works with certain MDAC versions as far as I have seen. When it
doesnt work I dont get any data in my lookup fields. With the standard
ADO component, it also happened that wrong data was shown in the TDBGrid
connected to the PriceDataSet, probably because the Price-Batch
master-detail relationship failed in some way.

For the moment, everything works well on my developing machine, but I
can imagine thet I will get problems when the program shall be installed
by the clients.

Bengt H?kansson

Vassil Nazarov wrote:
> Bengt,

> What exactly do you mean by "lookup fields" and how do they fail?

> --
> Vassil Nazarov
> http://web.orbitel.bg/vassil/

Re:Lookup fileds doesn't work with certain MDAC-versions

> For the moment, everything works well on my developing machine, but I
> can imagine thet I will get problems when the program shall be installed
> by the clients.

This is not likely provided they have MDAC 2.1 or later properly installed.

--
Vassil Nazarov
http://web.orbitel.bg/vassil/

Other Threads