Down the rabbit hole with SQL Explorer with MS SQL 7.0

SQL Explorer (Delphi 5.01, BDE 5.10) can display the "text"
of an index, i.e., the SQL code that would create it.

I have a table in a MS SQL 7.0 database with 12 indexes. When
I display the "text" of these indexes, some of them are right
and some are wrong. The text has the form

   create index ... on fieldname

It's the fieldname that's wrong. For fields near the beginning
of the table, it's correct, for fields in the middle it's off
by one field (if one field is indexed, the one displayed is it's
neighbor), for fields torwards the end of the database, it's
off by three fields. SQL Enterprise manager confirms that the
indexes are really correct.

To make it more bizarre, another database on the same server
has an identical database structure, and when viewing the same
table and indexes in that database, SQL Explorer shows them
correctly.

And to make matters worse, on the database with problems, asking
the BDE for TTable.Indexdefs doesn't return ANY of the
indexes, right or wrong, except the primary (works with the
other database).

Whine,

kevin

Re:Down the rabbit hole with SQL Explorer with MS SQL 7.0

Do you use schema caching? I have found that turning this off may help in
times like these.

Kevin Davidson <ke...@qsinc.com> wrote in message

> SQL Explorer (Delphi 5.01, BDE 5.10) can display the "text"
> of an index, i.e., the SQL code that would create it.

> I have a table in a MS SQL 7.0 database with 12 indexes. When
> I display the "text" of these indexes, some of them are right
> and some are wrong. The text has the form

>    create index ... on fieldname

> It's the fieldname that's wrong. For fields near the beginning
> of the table, it's correct, for fields in the middle it's off
> by one field (if one field is indexed, the one displayed is it's
> neighbor), for fields torwards the end of the database, it's
> off by three fields. SQL Enterprise manager confirms that the
> indexes are really correct.

> To make it more bizarre, another database on the same server
> has an identical database structure, and when viewing the same
> table and indexes in that database, SQL Explorer shows them
> correctly.

> And to make matters worse, on the database with problems, asking
> the BDE for TTable.Indexdefs doesn't return ANY of the
> indexes, right or wrong, except the primary (works with the
> other database).

> Whine,

> kevin

Re:Down the rabbit hole with SQL Explorer with MS SQL 7.0

No, we don't use schema caching. It's a bug.

kevin

Mike Evans wrote:

> Do you use schema caching? I have found that turning this off may help in
> times like these.

> Kevin Davidson <ke...@qsinc.com> wrote in message
> > SQL Explorer (Delphi 5.01, BDE 5.10) can display the "text"
> > of an index, i.e., the SQL code that would create it.

> > I have a table in a MS SQL 7.0 database with 12 indexes. When
> > I display the "text" of these indexes, some of them are right
> > and some are wrong. The text has the form

> >    create index ... on fieldname

> > It's the fieldname that's wrong. For fields near the beginning
> > of the table, it's correct, for fields in the middle it's off
> > by one field (if one field is indexed, the one displayed is it's
> > neighbor), for fields torwards the end of the database, it's
> > off by three fields. SQL Enterprise manager confirms that the
> > indexes are really correct.

> > To make it more bizarre, another database on the same server
> > has an identical database structure, and when viewing the same
> > table and indexes in that database, SQL Explorer shows them
> > correctly.

> > And to make matters worse, on the database with problems, asking
> > the BDE for TTable.Indexdefs doesn't return ANY of the
> > indexes, right or wrong, except the primary (works with the
> > other database).

> > Whine,

> > kevin

Other Threads