Paradox Tables On CDRom

I have to distribute some large paradox tables to be accessed on CDRom, does
anyone have any experience of this?

All tips would be greatly appreciated.

--
Mark Roebuck
Director

Infolink Europe Ltd

UK & European Company Data
www.infolink-europe.com
mailto:mroeb...@infolink-europe.com

Re:Paradox Tables On CDRom

Hi Mark,

check out cd.zip on my new Delphi Pool site at

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/lmc/dpool.htm

I describes what you're looking for.

Uwe

Mark Roebuck <m...@infolink-europe.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
810ebs$rp...@forums.borland.com...

> I have to distribute some large paradox tables to be accessed on CDRom,
does
> anyone have any experience of this?

> All tips would be greatly appreciated.

> --
> Mark Roebuck
> Director

> Infolink Europe Ltd

> UK & European Company Data
> www.infolink-europe.com
> mailto:mroeb...@infolink-europe.com

Re:Paradox Tables On CDRom

Your site is not quite ready for visitors.
Uwe Molzahn wrote:
> Hi Mark,

> check out cd.zip on my new Delphi Pool site at

> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/lmc/dpool.htm

> I describes what you're looking for.

> Uwe

> Mark Roebuck <m...@infolink-europe.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
> 810ebs$rp...@forums.borland.com...
> > I have to distribute some large paradox tables to be accessed on CDRom,
> does
> > anyone have any experience of this?

> > All tips would be greatly appreciated.

> > --
> > Mark Roebuck
> > Director

> > Infolink Europe Ltd

> > UK & European Company Data
> > www.infolink-europe.com
> > mailto:mroeb...@infolink-europe.com

Re:Paradox Tables On CDRom

Worked well for me, a Netscape user.
"Henry F. Clarius" wrote:
> Your site is not quite ready for visitors.

> Uwe Molzahn wrote:

> > Hi Mark,

> > check out cd.zip on my new Delphi Pool site at

> > http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/lmc/dpool.htm

> > I describes what you're looking for.

> > Uwe

> > Mark Roebuck <m...@infolink-europe.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
> > 810ebs$rp...@forums.borland.com...
> > > I have to distribute some large paradox tables to be accessed on CDRom,
> > does
> > > anyone have any experience of this?

> > > All tips would be greatly appreciated.

> > > --
> > > Mark Roebuck
> > > Director

> > > Infolink Europe Ltd

> > > UK & European Company Data
> > > www.infolink-europe.com
> > > mailto:mroeb...@infolink-europe.com

Re:Paradox Tables On CDRom

3104:Accessing Paradox Tables on CD or Read-Only Drive

3104:Accessing Paradox Tables on CD or Read-Only Drive

KEYWORDS: CD-ROM Read-Only Paradox Tables DbiAcqPersistTableLock AREA:
Databas

This Technical Information document will step through the concepts
regarding accessing Paradox tables which are located on a CD-ROM or
any read-only device.

The Paradox locking scheme requires the existence of a PDOXUSRS.LCK
file to handle its locking logic. This file is generally created at
run-time and resides in the directory which also contains the tables.
However, with a CD-ROM there is not a way to create this file at
run-time on the CD-ROM. The solution is simple, we create this file
and put it on the CD-ROM when the CD is pressed. The following steps
will give you a very simple utility program for creating the
PDOXUSRS.LCK file which you will then copy to the CD-ROM image.

1. Starting with a blank project add the following components: TEdit,
TButton and TDatabase.

2. In the OnClick event for the button use the following code:

  if ChkPath then
    Check(DbiAcqPersistTableLock(Database1.Handle,
               'PARADOX.DRO','PARADOX'));
end;

3. The ChkPath function is a user defined method of the form. It will
simply check the path entered in the Edit box and make sure it exists.
Here is the function:

function TForm1.ChkPath : Boolean;
var
  s : array[0..100] of char;
begin
  If DirectoryExists(Edit1.Text) then begin
    DataBase1.DatabaseName:= 'TempDB';
    DataBase1.DriverName:= 'Standard';
    DataBase1.LoginPrompt:= false;
    DataBase1.Connected := False;
    DataBase1.Params.Add('Path=' + Edit1.Text);
    DataBase1.Connected := TRUE;
    Result := TRUE;
  end
  else begin
    StrPCopy(s,'Directory : ' + Edit1.text + ' Does Not Exist');
    Application.MessageBox(s, 'Error!', MB_ICONSTOP);
    Result := FALSE;

{ Note: Don't forget to put the function header in the public section
        of the form.}

4. There is one more thing you need to add before compiling, in the
Uses statement at the top of the unit add the following units:
  Delphi 1.0: FileCtrl, DbiProcs, DbiTypes, DbiErrs.
  Delphi 2.0: FileCtrl , BDE

When you have compiled and executed the utility program, it will
create two files in the directory you specified. The two files created
are: PDOXUSRS.LCK and PARADOX.LCK.

Note: The PARADOX.LCK file is only necessary when accessing Paradox for
DOS tables so you can delete it.

5. The only thing left for you to do is copy the remaining file
(PDOXUSRS.LCK) to the CD-ROM image. Of course your tables will be
Read-Only.

Note: If you want to clean up this utility for future use, you can
change the text property of the Edit box to be some default directory
and change the Caption property of the Button to be something more
meaningful.

Here is the final version of the code:

unit Unit1;

interface

uses
  Windows, Messages, SysUtils, Classes, Graphics, Controls,
  Forms, Dialogs,  DB, StdCtrls, FileCtrl,

  {$IFDEF WIN32}
    BDE;
  {$ELSE}
    DbiProcs, DbiTypes, DbiErrs;
  {$ENDIF }

type
  TForm1 = class(TForm)
    Edit1: TEdit;
    Button1: TButton;
    Database1: TDatabase;
  private
    { Private declarations }
  public
    { Public declarations }
    function ChkPath : Boolean;
  end;

var
  Form1: TForm1;

implementation

{$R *.DFM}

function TForm1.ChkPath : Boolean;
var
  s : array[0..100] of char;
begin
  If DirectoryExists(Edit1.Text) then begin
    DataBase1.DatabaseName:= 'TempDB';
    DataBase1.DriverName:= 'Standard';
    DataBase1.LoginPrompt:= false;
    DataBase1.Connected := False;
    DataBase1.Params.Add('Path=' + Edit1.Text);
    DataBase1.Connected := TRUE;
    Result := TRUE;
  end
  else begin
    StrPCopy(s,'Directory : ' + Edit1.text + ' Does Not Exist');
    Application.MessageBox(s, 'Error!', MB_ICONSTOP);
    Result := FALSE;

  if ChkPath then
    Check(DbiAcqPersistTableLock(Database1.Handle,
               'PARADOX.DRO','PARADOX'));
end;

end.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Paradox Tables On CDRom

Looked at it with IE5...
some of your hyperlinks aren't showing up.
Otherwise looks nice.

Uwe Molzahn <L...@compuserve.com> wrote in message

> Hi Mark,

> check out cd.zip on my new Delphi Pool site at

> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/lmc/dpool.htm

> I describes what you're looking for.

> Uwe

> Mark Roebuck <m...@infolink-europe.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
> 810ebs$rp...@forums.borland.com...
> > I have to distribute some large paradox tables to be accessed on CDRom,
> does
> > anyone have any experience of this?

> > All tips would be greatly appreciated.

> > --
> > Mark Roebuck
> > Director

> > Infolink Europe Ltd

> > UK & European Company Data
> > www.infolink-europe.com
> > mailto:mroeb...@infolink-europe.com

Re:Paradox Tables On CDRom

Thanks A Lot.

--

Bill Todd (TeamB) <b...@dbginc.com> wrote in message

> [...]

> function TForm1.ChkPath : Boolean;
> var
>   s : array[0..100] of char;
> begin
>   If DirectoryExists(Edit1.Text) then begin
>     DataBase1.DatabaseName:= 'TempDB';
>     DataBase1.DriverName:= 'Standard';
>     DataBase1.LoginPrompt:= false;
>     DataBase1.Connected := False;
>     DataBase1.Params.Add('Path=' + Edit1.Text);
>     DataBase1.Connected := TRUE;
>     Result := TRUE;
>   end
>   else begin
>     StrPCopy(s,'Directory : ' + Edit1.text + ' Does Not Exist');
>     Application.MessageBox(s, 'Error!', MB_ICONSTOP);
>     Result := FALSE;
>   end;
> end;

> begin
>   if ChkPath then
>     Check(DbiAcqPersistTableLock(Database1.Handle,

Re:Paradox Tables On CDRom

Hi Art,

would you mind to specify two or three links that didn't work ? I checked
the site several times with Communicator 4.6 and IExplorer 5.0 and
everything worked correctly. Thanks a lot.

Regards
Uwe

Art Begun <beg...@mindspring.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
812ihe$gr...@forums.borland.com...

> Looked at it with IE5...
> some of your hyperlinks aren't showing up.
> Otherwise looks nice.

> Uwe Molzahn <L...@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Mark,

> > check out cd.zip on my new Delphi Pool site at

> > http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/lmc/dpool.htm

> > I describes what you're looking for.

> > Uwe

> > Mark Roebuck <m...@infolink-europe.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
> > 810ebs$rp...@forums.borland.com...
> > > I have to distribute some large paradox tables to be accessed on
CDRom,
> > does
> > > anyone have any experience of this?

> > > All tips would be greatly appreciated.