Does BC++ 4.52 support 32-Bit PM?

Hi there,

a friend of mine wants to use BC++ 4.52 under Windows 95 to code a pure
DOS application, which should run in Protected Mode (i.e. no tiny,
small, large etc. memory model, but flat memory model). Does this old
compiler support this? Do I need to provide DPMI or some kind of extender?

--

Sebastian Schuberth

Re:Does BC++ 4.52 support 32-Bit PM?

At one time Borland had a DPMI extender but I don't know if they offer that
any more.  Also, in the old days there was a tool called Pharlap that could
do what you wanted but I think they are part of Venturcom now.

-Tom

"Sebastian Schuberth" <usenet.0.s_schube...@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
message news:at7a15$11e4lb$1@ID-44097.news.dfncis.de...

> Hi there,

> a friend of mine wants to use BC++ 4.52 under Windows 95 to code a pure
> DOS application, which should run in Protected Mode (i.e. no tiny,
> small, large etc. memory model, but flat memory model). Does this old
> compiler support this? Do I need to provide DPMI or some kind of extender?

> --

> Sebastian Schuberth

Re:Does BC++ 4.52 support 32-Bit PM?

"Sebastian Schuberth" <usenet.0.s_schube...@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
message news:at7a15$11e4lb$1@ID-44097.news.dfncis.de...

> Hi there,

> a friend of mine wants to use BC++ 4.52 under Windows 95 to code a pure
> DOS application, which should run in Protected Mode (i.e. no tiny,
> small, large etc. memory model, but flat memory model). Does this old
> compiler support this? Do I need to provide DPMI or some kind of extender?

Hi,

The product you need is called "Borland PowerPack for DOS". It works fine
with BC++ 4.52 and supplies both
a 16 and 32 bit DOS extender (DPMI 0.9). It works fine under windows NT. W95
I am not so sure, I remember
some problems with screen updates using Turbo Vision with this extender
under W95.
The product is not sold anymore by Borland (just like BC++ 4.52)
Expect lots of problems with third party libraries, as the DOS extender
poses restrictions on use of registers
in assembly modules. It broke ALL of my third party stuff. Pure C programs
without direct hardware or memory access
should work fine.

regards, Matt

Re:Does BC++ 4.52 support 32-Bit PM?

In article <3dfa6...@newsgroups.borland.com>, Matt Claessen
<NoS...@forget.it> writes

>"Sebastian Schuberth" <usenet.0.s_schube...@spamgourmet.com> wrote in
>message news:at7a15$11e4lb$1@ID-44097.news.dfncis.de...
>> Hi there,

>> a friend of mine wants to use BC++ 4.52 under Windows 95 to code a pure
>> DOS application, which should run in Protected Mode (i.e. no tiny,
>> small, large etc. memory model, but flat memory model). Does this old
>> compiler support this? Do I need to provide DPMI or some kind of extender?

>Hi,

>The product you need is called "Borland PowerPack for DOS". It works fine
>with BC++ 4.52 and supplies both
>a 16 and 32 bit DOS extender (DPMI 0.9). It works fine under windows NT. W95
>I am not so sure, I remember
>some problems with screen updates using Turbo Vision with this extender
>under W95.
>The product is not sold anymore by Borland (just like BC++ 4.52)

What is the status of Powerpack? I have a copy of it. Can I pas it on to
other people.

\/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills  Staffs  England    /\/\/\/\/\
/\/\/ ch...@phaedsys.org       www.phaedsys.org \/\/