Delphi5 and WinME

I seem to have recently run into a small problem.

I upgraded Windows98SE to WindowsME and now my component palette is completely EMPTY! Has
anyone else experienced this? If so, is there some way I can fix this? I don't want to try
reinstalling Delphi as the last time I did, it COMPLETELY wiped out my components and I
had to reinstall them all so that I could work with my projects.

Many thanks in advance,
Ed

Re:Delphi5 and WinME

Ed Hammer <jame...@nomail.com> wrote:
>I upgraded Windows98SE to WindowsME and now my component palette is completely EMPTY! Has
>anyone else experienced this?

I upgreaded (downgraded?) and didn't have that problem.
Jud McCranie

Re:Delphi5 and WinME

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000 18:50:27 GMT, Ed Hammer <jame...@nomail.com>
wrote:

>I seem to have recently run into a small problem.

>I upgraded Windows98SE to WindowsME and now my component palette is completely EMPTY! Has
>anyone else experienced this? If so, is there some way I can fix this? I don't want to try
>reinstalling Delphi as the last time I did, it COMPLETELY wiped out my components and I
>had to reinstall them all so that I could work with my projects.

From your statements I'm unclear where things currently stand, do you
say you've re-installed everything and you STILL don't see any glyphs?

Based on the symptom my first guess would have been a video driver or
ImageList problem.  Did you check whether the packages were still
visible in the "Component/Install Packages..." dialog?

Stephen Posey
slpo...@concentric.net

Re:Delphi5 and WinME

Try reinstalling dcl5usr.dpk. It's in the lib directory.
Ed Hammer wrote:

> I seem to have recently run into a small problem.

> I upgraded Windows98SE to WindowsME and now my component palette is completely EMPTY! Has
> anyone else experienced this? If so, is there some way I can fix this? I don't want to try
> reinstalling Delphi as the last time I did, it COMPLETELY wiped out my components and I
> had to reinstall them all so that I could work with my projects.

> Many thanks in advance,
> Ed

Re:Delphi5 and WinME

Ed Hammer <jame...@nomail.com> wrote:
>I upgraded Windows98SE to WindowsME and now my component palette is completely EMPTY!

MS discourages you from using non-MS software.

Jud McCranie

Re:Delphi5 and WinME

Thank you. This helped...  don't know why I didn't think of it before!

Ed

Derek <d...@ddd.com> wrote:
>The "upgrades" that Microsoft has put out have always been a
>cross-your-fingers type of thing, but they've insisted on making them
>available. Even Windows NT (3.1 to 4.0, not sure about 2000) could
>upgrade from Windows 3.1 (the 16 bit OS) and "sort of" maintain the
>user's apps and settings. In practice, this doesn't work well at all.
>The road to upgrading from 95 to 98 was littered with trashed
>machines. If you want to install an OS, wipe the drive first.

I completely disagree. I didn't have any problems with any upgrades I've
ever made. I always thought Microsoft's attention to OS upgrades (and
compatibility) was the reason they became what they are today.

Smola
--
Redundance is futile...

(supersmola.tripod.com/index.htm}

Re:Delphi5 and WinME

I also upgraded Win98SE to WinME abd the only problem I got is that it
doesn't load some of my packages on Delphi start. It tells me that it can't
find some of my packages even though they are there!! Maybe I'll have to
reinstall WinME, a clean install.

--

Arvind

[web : http://arvind.cjb.net]
[mail : arv...@arvind.cjb.net]

"Ed Hammer" <jame...@nomail.com> wrote in message

> I seem to have recently run into a small problem.

> I upgraded Windows98SE to WindowsME and now my component palette is

completely EMPTY! Has
> anyone else experienced this? If so, is there some way I can fix this? I
don't want to try
> reinstalling Delphi as the last time I did, it COMPLETELY wiped out my
components and I
> had to reinstall them all so that I could work with my projects.

> Many thanks in advance,
> Ed

Re:Delphi5 and WinME

Reinstall the missing Delphi packages...

--
Bjoerge Saether
Consultant / Developer

"Arvind" <arv...@arvind.cjb.net> skrev i melding

> I also upgraded Win98SE to WinME abd the only problem I got is that it
> doesn't load some of my packages on Delphi start. It tells me that it
can't
> find some of my packages even though they are there!! Maybe I'll have
> reinstall WinME, a clean install.

> --

> Arvind

> [web : http://arvind.cjb.net]
> [mail : arv...@arvind.cjb.net]

> "Ed Hammer" <jame...@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > I seem to have recently run into a small problem.

> > I upgraded Windows98SE to WindowsME and now my component palette is
> completely EMPTY! Has
> > anyone else experienced this? If so, is there some way I can fix
this? I
> don't want to try
> > reinstalling Delphi as the last time I did, it COMPLETELY wiped out
my
> components and I
> > had to reinstall them all so that I could work with my projects.

> > Many thanks in advance,
> > Ed

Re:Delphi5 and WinME

In article <39d7b5e2.6244...@news.iskon.hr>, Smola wrote:
>Derek <d...@ddd.com> wrote:

>>The "upgrades" that Microsoft has put out have always been a
>>cross-your-fingers type of thing, but they've insisted on making them
>>available. Even Windows NT (3.1 to 4.0, not sure about 2000) could
>>upgrade from Windows 3.1 (the 16 bit OS) and "sort of" maintain the
>>user's apps and settings. In practice, this doesn't work well at all.
>>The road to upgrading from 95 to 98 was littered with trashed
>>machines. If you want to install an OS, wipe the drive first.

>I completely disagree. I didn't have any problems with any upgrades I've
>ever made. I always thought Microsoft's attention to OS upgrades (and
>compatibility) was the reason they became what they are today.

Microsoft itself had to acknowledge that 98 to ME upgrades where additional
Microsoft packages were installed onto '98 can be problematic. If you
upgrade over a {*word*269} '98 everything goes fine.

The problem is that both '98 and ME are more snapshots of one development
thread rather than standalone releases.

And every component (IE, MediaPlayer, Office stuff) that Microsoft releases
inbetween replaces common files with  intermediate (between '98 and ME)
 versions. All these versions are bound to create problems, no matter how
much money you throw at it to iron the worst wrinkles out.

Re:Delphi5 and WinME

In article <stfdtsksc5sh5u9qhe7bmd9s3g1b2ls...@4ax.com>, Jud McCranie wrote:
>Ed Hammer <jame...@nomail.com> wrote:

>>I upgraded Windows98SE to WindowsME and now my component palette is completely EMPTY!

>MS discourages you from using non-MS software.

According most sources, it is the other way around. Adding on Microsoft
products between original '98(SE) install and ME can cause this.

Re:Delphi5 and WinME

mar...@snail.stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) wrote:

>According most sources, it is the other way around. Adding on Microsoft
>products between original '98(SE) install and ME can cause this.

I've used all 3 releases of 95, both of 98, and ME.  On just
about every upgrade, some non-MS product started having
problems.

Jud McCranie

Re:Delphi5 and WinME

In article <4m5ktsoif7h1si032ufq2te1hq1groq...@4ax.com>, Jud McCranie wrote:
>mar...@snail.stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) wrote:

>>According most sources, it is the other way around. Adding on Microsoft
>>products between original '98(SE) install and ME can cause this.

>I've used all 3 releases of 95, both of 98, and ME.  On just
>about every upgrade, some non-MS product started having
>problems.

I also had serious problems with .CPL files, when using '95/'98 hybrids.
(like NVIDIA video properties applets, and my Jetway IDE drivers).

Probably they use some '98 features, and get confused when they have been
replaced back with '95 parts. (by 98lite www.98lite.net)

With ordinary applications I never had such problems, only with drivers and
M$ apps.

Re:Delphi5 and WinME

One thing I believe happened with WinME that affects Delphi is
the default date format.  With 98, some of my Delphi stuff was
using 2-digit years.  When I went to WinME, they started
showigng 4-digit years.
Jud McCranie

Other Threads