connect to an oracle server via BDE/ORACLE-native driver over TCP/IP

Hi
I tried to connect to our oracle server (7.3) with the bde.
I use the native ORACLE driver with TNS as Net Protocol. the
problem now is that i need the drivers from oracle, where I have
manuallly set up an tns alias for the database. Because of that
i tried to use TCP/IP as Net Protocol but I don't know where I shuold
set the server IP address and the databasename. mybe someone can help me

cu Nils

Re:connect to an oracle server via BDE/ORACLE-native driver over TCP/IP

You must leave it as TNS.  The BDE talks to the local client software that way
and your Oracle alias can use TCP/IP to get to tyhe DB backend.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
If there is somebody up there could they throw me down a line.  Just a

Re:connect to an oracle server via BDE/ORACLE-native driver over TCP/IP

is there really no way to connect direct to the database without the
oracle client software ??
cu nils

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" schrieb:

> You must leave it as TNS.  The BDE talks to the local client software that way
> and your Oracle alias can use TCP/IP to get to tyhe DB backend.

good taste of music :-)

Nils wrote:
> is there really no way to connect direct to the database without the
> oracle client software ??
> cu nils

No.  If you connect via ODBC you need the client.  If you connect natively, you need
to access the Oracle OCI layer, which is part of the client.

John

Other Threads