Delphi and SQL server limit

Hi,

I'm trying to use Delphi C/S 2.0 with MS/SQL server 6.0 and I'm a bit
disapointed. Both products are new for me. I want do be shure that
I do understand the limitations of the product so if anybody can confirm
the folowing points :

for Delphi :
* There is no tools to describ a SQL database and then create a SQL
script to build the database. If that's rigth, then do you know a
  product witch can do it (not too expensive please)?
  ( the database module in delphi works directly on the database and
   and don't want the product to do so)

* The thing they call a dictionary can't even keep a comment on a field.

for SQL server :
* When you want to modify an existing table :
        you can't delete a field
        you can't change nothing but the field name

* The record size is limited to 1920 byte (without the text and blob
field)

is there a SQL database server without these limitations?

Please e-mail me if you have any information concerning my problems
Thanks a lot.

                                                        Fred.

Re:Delphi and SQL server limit

Frederic HARDY wrote:

> for Delphi :
> * There is no tools to describ a SQL database and then create a SQL
> script to build the database. If that's rigth, then do you know a
>   product witch can do it (not too expensive please)?

Generally, you'll use the RDBMS's tools for this. MS SQL Server comes
with the Enterprise Manager and ISQL/w.

> for SQL server :
> * When you want to modify an existing table :
>         you can't delete a field
>         you can't change nothing but the field name

With MS SQL 6.0, you'll have to copy the old table to a new table minus
the column you want to delete, then drop the old table. Same thing w/
Oracle 7.1. In Interbase, you can drop fields from tables via ALTER
TABLE, but you'll have to type in the statement - no pretty Enterprise
Manager to help you out.

-Bryan

Frederic HARDY wrote:

> Hi,

> I'm trying to use Delphi C/S 2.0 with MS/SQL server 6.0 and I'm a bit
> disapointed. Both products are new for me. I want do be shure that
> I do understand the limitations of the product so if anybody can confirm
> the folowing points :

> for Delphi :
> * There is no tools to describ a SQL database and then create a SQL
> script to build the database. If that's rigth, then do you know a
>   product witch can do it (not too expensive please)?
>   ( the database module in delphi works directly on the database and
>    and don't want the product to do so)

> * The thing they call a dictionary can't even keep a comment on a field.

> for SQL server :
> * When you want to modify an existing table :
>         you can't delete a field
>         you can't change nothing but the field name

> * The record size is limited to 1920 byte (without the text and blob
> field)

> is there a SQL database server without these limitations?

> Please e-mail me if you have any information concerning my problems
> Thanks a lot.

>                                                         Fred.

Since I don't know what "expensive" is, I'll suggest you try
looking at LogicWorks' Erwin product (they are in Princeton NJ,
I believe).

Stuart

Other Threads