Trouble connecting to Sql Server 2000 from BDE Admin 5.01

I don't understand how to configure a BDE alias to connect to a Sql
Server 2000 instance (running on the same machine).  I'm using the
Native driver (called MSSQL in the BDE Admin Config;   specifies
SQLMSS32.DLL)

My Sql Server Network Utility reports my server instance name as
ALTAMIRANO;    I am able to interact with this instance with the Sql
Server tools.   It is running.

Enabled protocols are Named Pipes and TCP/IP.
Windows Authentication is specified for this server.

I installed Delphi 6 Enterprise (I assume that the required SQL Server
drivers are installed with the Enterprise install, yes? )

I've made no changes on the Configuration side of the BDE Admin.

I've created an alias based on MSSQL, and set the following properties
HOST=ALTAMIRANO
SERVER=ALTAMIRANO
DATABASE=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\northwnd.mdf

And I've tried some other combinations.    I attempt to connect by
opening the Alias in the BDE Admin.

Surely I misunderstand what I'm supposed to be doing here ... your
help appreciated.

Thanks!

Re:Trouble connecting to Sql Server 2000 from BDE Admin 5.01

Tha database name in SQL Server is not the name of the phisical file. But
the name you give to the Database when you've created it. In your case:
Northwnd.
Hope this helps

--
Guillermo Casta?o Acevedo
Gerente de Sistemas - Grupo Millennium Ltda

Re:Trouble connecting to Sql Server 2000 from BDE Admin 5.01

Yes, it does help clarify matters, but I still cannot connect.

Again, I've made no changes to the MSSQL native driver setting in the
BDE Config;  and for the alias I've created based on that driver, the
only settings I've made, now, are
SERVER=ALTAMIRANO
DATABASE=NORTHWIND

Where ALTAMIRANO is my Sql Server instance name, as reported in the
Server Network Utility.   The SQL Server Service Manager reports this
instance as running, and I can connect to it with local SQL tools.

Also, SQLMSS32.DLL is present, as expected, in C:\Program
Files\Borland\Common Files\BDE

Error message is "Cannot locate or connect to Sql Server.  Unable to
connect: Sql Server is unavailable or does not exist."

???

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 22:18:48 -0500, Guillermo Casta?o A

<Guiller...@GrupoMillennium.com> wrote:
>Tha database name in SQL Server is not the name of the phisical file. But
>the name you give to the Database when you've created it. In your case:
>Northwnd.
>Hope this helps

>Michael Godeck wrote:

>> I don't understand how to configure a BDE alias to connect to a Sql
>> Server 2000 instance (running on the same machine).  I'm using the
>> Native driver (called MSSQL in the BDE Admin Config;   specifies
>> SQLMSS32.DLL)

>> My Sql Server Network Utility reports my server instance name as
>> ALTAMIRANO;    I am able to interact with this instance with the Sql
>> Server tools.   It is running.

>> Enabled protocols are Named Pipes and TCP/IP.
>> Windows Authentication is specified for this server.

>> I installed Delphi 6 Enterprise (I assume that the required SQL Server
>> drivers are installed with the Enterprise install, yes? )

>> I've made no changes on the Configuration side of the BDE Admin.

>> I've created an alias based on MSSQL, and set the following properties
>> HOST=ALTAMIRANO
>> SERVER=ALTAMIRANO
>> DATABASE=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\northwnd.mdf

>> And I've tried some other combinations.    I attempt to connect by
>> opening the Alias in the BDE Admin.

>> Surely I misunderstand what I'm supposed to be doing here ... your
>> help appreciated.

>> Thanks!

Re:Trouble connecting to Sql Server 2000 from BDE Admin 5.01

MSSQL, under Native Drivers.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:33:19 -0500, Guillermo Casta?o A

--
Guillermo Casta?o Acevedo
Gerente de Sistemas - Grupo Millennium Ltda
Guiller...@GrupoMillennium.com
www.GrupoMillennium.com

Re:Trouble connecting to Sql Server 2000 from BDE Admin 5.01

Sorry... but nothing else comes to my mind. Sorry about not being much helpful.

--
Guillermo Casta?o Acevedo
Gerente de Sistemas - Grupo Millennium Ltda
Guiller...@GrupoMillennium.com
www.GrupoMillennium.com

Re:Trouble connecting to Sql Server 2000 from BDE Admin 5.01

Try using Client Config to create an alias, then use QA to test if
connecting to that alias name to see if it works. Now use that alias name in
the server property of the BDE Config/SQL Explorer.

-Euan

Other Threads