QReport : BIG BIG Problem with memo-fields !!!

Hi, I'm Nico Sommeling from the Netherlands.

Searching the Internet I came accoss QuickReport and I must say, it's a nice
piece of work!
There is however one problem I have that keeps me from using it seriously. If my
problem really is a bug, I don't thing anyone would be using it!

My problem is this :

I have a QReport-form with a simple report based on one Paradox 5.0 table.
This report is built with QReport version 1.0D and Delphi 1.0cs.
All fields are Arial 10 pitch.
The report contains one memo-field, and that is the one causing the problems!

Since QReport doesn't have a QrDBMemo-field I used a QrDBText-field (according to
the help-file this also prints memo-fields).
The QrDBText-field lacks a WordWrap-property, so i have to leave that to QReport.

And that's the problem : it does not wordwrap correctly, parts of my text (at the
end of each line) disappear.
This is not due to printing outside the printable zone of my printer, because a
field placed behind the memo-field is printed alright.
In preview mode it seems to be OK!

The problem is reproducable on a :
HP Laserjet III
HP Laserjet IIIsi
HP Laserjet IV

Is this a QReport problem / bug ?
Is this a printer (HP) problem ?
Is this a BIG mistake on my behalf ?
   (Wrong property set (I experimented with AUTOSIZE of the rDBText-fld
     and the PRINTSCALE and SCALED properties of the form))

The report also discards the font-property on some of the printers, printing the
report in fairly large letters. Maybe this can be a hint to solving my problem.

I am evaluating QReport at the moment, and this problem could mean that i am not
going to use it anymore.

The application i have (a memo field on a report) is so common, that i cannot
imagine that noone has solved this problem before me, so Delphi-community :
PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!

Delphi is great!
spread the word.

Greetz,
Nic.

Re:QReport : BIG BIG Problem with memo-fields !!!

Sommeling, Nico wrote:
> Since QReport doesn't have a QrDBMemo-field I used a QrDBText-field
>(according to the help-file this also prints memo-fields).
> The QrDBText-field lacks a WordWrap-property, so i have to leave that
> to QReport.

> And that's the problem : it does not wordwrap correctly, parts of my
> text (at the end of each line) disappear.

There is some kind third party free Memo word wrap component on
Quick Soft's WWW site. Also a pre release version 1.0E of Quick
Report was released in August/96. Here is a snippet from 1.0E
Readme.txt.

:1.0e prerelease II
:
: This is a prerelease version of QuickReport 1.0e. We would like
: comments :one the topics bellow.The final release will be available
: soon.

   (Eh.. Notice the nice Norwegian expression "soon",  and
    that was in August...)

:* New property, TQRDBText.AutoStretch. If true, component will stretch
:to fit both  memo and string fields. Note that default is False so any
:memofields you currently stretch must have this property changed to
:True.
:* New property, TQRMemo.AutoStretch. If True, the QRMemo component will
:stretch to include all text.
:* Ugly character spacing in 32 bit version fixed
:* Problems with printer settings on HP Deskjet printers minimized
:* QRPreview now shows a blank page while in the form designer instead
of :just nothing.
:* Bug fix, removed problem with no default printer installed
:* Bug fix, now transparent *really* works in the 32 bit version <G>
:* Bug fix, band separator line now paints correctly
:* Bug fix, QRDBText no longer cuts last character
:* Bug fix, resource leaks removed from TQRPrinter and TQRGroup
:* Bug fix, empty text controls now update the font properly on screen

I am not currently printing memo fields, but variable length
(long) string fields. In my tests this 1.0E prerelease _almost_
works OK.  When you put two AutoStretch fileds side by side on
QReport, the strings don't get wrapped right.

I have reported this problem to Quick Soft Norway, and have
been waiting  the fixed version since August. They keep explaining
being very busy, some kind of bigger 32-bit improvement of QR.
And soon after that also my minor 16-bit problem will be allocated
on their working schedules.

I believe that working 1.0E -version would help you with Memo
fields and me with the long string fields.

So lets do some waiting, waiting... (By the way, did you know
that it took 30 years to build the pyramid of Kheops, they had
40.000 man working 12 hours per day and they had no computers.)

Markku Nevalainen

Other Threads