Delphi with Oracle

I'm considering developing a major client-server application using
Oracle 7 and Borland Delphi.  I am interested in hearing about any
good or bad experiences anyone has had using these two tools together.

-Ken Borsare
74010.2...@Compuserve.com

Re:Delphi with Oracle

74010.2...@compuserve.com wrote:

: I'm considering developing a major client-server application using
: Oracle 7 and Borland Delphi.  I am interested in hearing about any
: good or bad experiences anyone has had using these two tools together.

  My experience with Delphi and Oracle (Oracle 7 on Netware ) has been
very good; good performance, easy connection, no problems.  I don't
have  a production app, though.

Re:Delphi with Oracle

>: I'm considering developing a major client-server application using
>: Oracle 7 and Borland Delphi.  I am interested in hearing about any
>: good or bad experiences anyone has had using these two tools together.

>  My experience with Delphi and Oracle (Oracle 7 on Netware ) has been
>very good; good performance, easy connection, no problems.  I don't
>have  a production app, though.

It does work, but....
The mauals are not very clear how to connect to oracle databases : In the
database login box you'll have to enter server:database in the server
box...Once you know it, this isn't a problem anymore :-) but anyway, it's good
to mention. Also, when a compare a query on two very big(huge) tables in
Oracle Databrowser and Delphi the Oracle client is faster in response. Delphi
gives you control over your MACHINE back when the query is finished, the
databrowser querys in the background. Perhaps this is solvable, but I haven't
figured it out yet. If anyone knows.... An other point to mention is the fact
that I wasn't able to use two connections to the oracle database. Let's say
when developing your app, it's handy to set the databases on active so that
you see your data. At that moment Delphi is logged in to Oracle. When I run my
app I couldn't log in again. This turned out to be a SQLNet error, called
oracle and they'll send us updates of the SQLNet drivers where this should be
solved...
As I am just starting with the Oracle/Delphi combination these were just some
starter problems. I hope (I sure do!) that you can hear some positive
reactions about this combination in the future.

greetz -Frank Korpershoek-

Other Threads