BDE problems with 16bit ODBC (and Sage Instant Payroll) - A solution

We recently had a problem where if our BDE 4.51 application was installed
on the same machine as Sage Instant Payroll then our program would not
work. BDE Admin also crashed - usually with a fault in module <unknown> and
sometime causing a fatel exception. Even if the machine had just rebooted
and
the Delphi/BDE app was the first to be run the error still occurred.

After many reformats of the hard drive and re-installations of Windows etc
we found that the problem was that when Windows95 was installed 32bit ODBC
was not installed. When using the BDE this casued no problems.

When Sage Instant Payroll was installed it installed 16bit ODBC and this is
what, I think, caused the problem.

After installed the 32bit ODBC (I used the Data Access Pack on the Office97
CD) everything was OK again, so I can only assume it is a problem when the
BDE and 16bit ODBC are present.

The only tables our program access, and had aliases for, were Paradox ones
using the Native driver so I do not know why the BDE would want to get to
ODBC, particularly if it was happy when no ODBC was present.

Unfortunately the data access pack cannot be redistributed and Install
Sheild Express couldn't help me. At present I use Wise Installer to write
my installations and this can be used to include the redistributable ODBC
files quite easily. In fact you can even select which ODBC drivers to
include. As I am sick of test and re-testing this I have just added all of
them which adds about 4Meg onto my installation but everything is now OK.

If anyone has any idea why the BDE does not like 16bit ODBC being present
without the 32 bit version or if I have a BDE setting wrong or which ODBC
driver files it the BDE actually wants as oppose to installing all of them,
then please let me know. Even if you post a message here I would appreciate
an email copy.

Cheers and I hope this help anyone else who has had a similar problem.

Gareth Howe
Gare...@IBIS-Software.com

Re:BDE problems with 16bit ODBC (and Sage Instant Payroll) - A solution

On Tue, 12 May 1998 14:31:22 GMT, "Gareth Howe" <Gare...@IBIS-Software.com>
wrote:

>We recently had a problem where if our BDE 4.51 application was installed
>on the same machine as Sage Instant Payroll then our program would not
>work. BDE Admin also crashed - usually with a fault in module <unknown> and
>sometime causing a fatel exception. Even if the machine had just rebooted
>and

Well I've had something similar but put it down to Sage.

I have 4.51 running under NT with 32 bit ODBC.  I installed Sage because I
wanted to write an application that read it's data files.  Because I
couldn't get at the files under the 16bit ODBC Sage drivers, I installed
the 32 bit ones that came on the Sage distribution disk.

This completely trashed ODBC on my machine - the NT kept reporting that the
ODBC Administrator was a different version that the DLL's and that I had to
re-install ODBC.

I tried everything and eventually had to reinstall NT a few times until I
found that I could only get things working if I took a clean system and
installed Sage first, then it's 32 bit ODBC and then Delphi 3 & BDE 4.51.

Now I can access the data fine.

Doesn't help you I know, but your not the only one to have suffered.

Mark

--
Mark Adams            | "Starburst" made to make your mouth water?
m...@acemake.com      | I don't think so. Agree? Head off over to

Other Threads