16 Bit App with 32 bit IDAPI

Hi!

Sorry if this one is in a FAQ somewhere I checked the KnowledgeBase and
came up empty.

I need to run a 16 bit application (Delphi 1) on a Win '95 machine that
has the 32 bit IDAPI loaded.

What do I need to do?

I did not want to load the 16 bit IDAPI with out finding out what the
impact would be.

Please e:mail your replies.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

Matthew McDermott
McDermott Enterprises
matt...@lightspeed.net
My Web Page: http://userzweb.lightspeed.net/~mattmcd
Director of Information Services & Adjunct Professor - Mathematics
The American College of Prehospital Medicine: http://www.acpm.edu/

Re:16 Bit App with 32 bit IDAPI

> I need to run a 16 bit application (Delphi 1) on a Win '95 machine
> that has the 32 bit IDAPI loaded.
> What do I need to do?

Proceed just like it was a Win3.1 machine.

> I did not want to load the 16 bit IDAPI with out finding out what the
> impact would be.

We develop our software under Win95, using Delphi 1 and the 16-bit
IDAPI/BDE.  As long as you don't have other apps that need the 32-bit
IDAPI/BDE (such as Delphi 2 or Paradox 7 for Win95), then you should be
ok.  If you want to install both the 16-bit and the 32-bit IDAPI/BDE,
then I'm not sure of the impact.  Anyone else care to help with that
one?

Jon

Re:16 Bit App with 32 bit IDAPI

I use both installed on the same machine and they each work fine.  In fact,
you can have two different apps running - one using BDE 16 and the other
BDE 32 - so long as they are not accessing the same data.  If accessing the
same data the problem is they do not know of each other's existence and
because of caching they stuff up.  For example, you can have an app using
BDE16 and use DataBase Desktop (32 bit version) accessing the same data at
the "same" time - but because of the 2 independent caches it is unreliable.

I routinely install both on end user (Win95/NT) machines so they can choose
which version of my app they want (16 or 32 bit).

> I need to run a 16 bit application (Delphi 1) on a Win '95 machine
> that has the 32 bit IDAPI loaded.
> What do I need to do?

just install BDE16 using the standard install disks - it won't affect the
32 bit version.

HTH,

--
Paul Motyer
pa...@linuxserver.pccity.com.au

Jon & Aimee Robertson <to...@flash.net> wrote in article
<3265965E.5...@flash.net>...

> > I need to run a 16 bit application (Delphi 1) on a Win '95 machine
> > that has the 32 bit IDAPI loaded.
> > What do I need to do?

> Proceed just like it was a Win3.1 machine.

> > I did not want to load the 16 bit IDAPI with out finding out what the
> > impact would be.

> We develop our software under Win95, using Delphi 1 and the 16-bit
> IDAPI/BDE.  As long as you don't have other apps that need the 32-bit
> IDAPI/BDE (such as Delphi 2 or Paradox 7 for Win95), then you should be
> ok.  If you want to install both the 16-bit and the 32-bit IDAPI/BDE,
> then I'm not sure of the impact.  Anyone else care to help with that
> one?

> Jon

Re:16 Bit App with 32 bit IDAPI

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:13:50 -0500, Jon & Aimee Robertson

<to...@flash.net> wrote:
>> I need to run a 16 bit application (Delphi 1) on a Win '95 machine
>> that has the 32 bit IDAPI loaded.
>> What do I need to do?

>Proceed just like it was a Win3.1 machine.

>> I did not want to load the 16 bit IDAPI with out finding out what the
>> impact would be.

>We develop our software under Win95, using Delphi 1 and the 16-bit
>IDAPI/BDE.  As long as you don't have other apps that need the 32-bit
>IDAPI/BDE (such as Delphi 2 or Paradox 7 for Win95), then you should be
>ok.  If you want to install both the 16-bit and the 32-bit IDAPI/BDE,
>then I'm not sure of the impact.  Anyone else care to help with that
>one?

Some read.me distributed with Delphi 2.01 states that using the 16bit
and the 32bit BDE in parallel should be no problem UNLESS one uses a
version of the BDE that is newer than the one distributed with Delphi
[1.02].

Ok, the original distribution of Delphi 1.02 to my knowledge had the
BDE 2.51 while the most up-to-date one definitely is 2.52.

So I suppose if you use both the most recent version of the BDE each
(2.52 and 3.12) all should be fine. BTW, both version won't mix anyway
as one is 16bit, the other 32bit.

--
Stefan Hoffmeister                       Stefan.Hoffmeis...@Uni-Passau.de
University of Passau, Bavaria, Germany

Jon & Aimee Robertson wrote:

> > I need to run a 16 bit application (Delphi 1) on a Win '95 machine
> > that has the 32 bit IDAPI loaded.
> > What do I need to do?

> Proceed just like it was a Win3.1 machine.

> > I did not want to load the 16 bit IDAPI with out finding out what the
> > impact would be.

> We develop our software under Win95, using Delphi 1 and the 16-bit
> IDAPI/BDE.  As long as you don't have other apps that need the 32-bit
> IDAPI/BDE (such as Delphi 2 or Paradox 7 for Win95), then you should be
> ok.  If you want to install both the 16-bit and the 32-bit IDAPI/BDE,
> then I'm not sure of the impact.  Anyone else care to help with that
> one?

Thanks for the reply but the point of the question is what is the impact
if they NEED the 32 bit IDAPI. That is why it is already installed.

Thanks,

Matthew

> Jon

Other Threads