Delphi apps on win 95/98/NT

Hello to all,

I am developing an appl using Delphi 3 on windows NT. I am curious to
know, will my exe file be able to run on win 95 and win 98 platforms
properly?

TIA!

Re:Delphi apps on win 95/98/NT

Depends,

The Win32 API is different for 2000/NT4/NT3.51/98/95 (and can be different
across Service Pack revisions within the 'same' product)

Therefore,
 - if your app makes API calls then you will have to handle the differing
platforms
 - the location and nature of certain registry settings is different
 - NT implements security - therefore you must always take that into account
 - the NT API is much richer that 95/98 and several functions that are
available under NT either are not available or fail under 95/98.

In essence, for any function/API call that you make, check the Help for any
Win version specific variation.

(Almost all "general" applications work happily under both)

Brian

Veronica <ron...@post1.com> wrote in message

> Hello to all,

> I am developing an appl using Delphi 3 on windows NT. I am curious to
> know, will my exe file be able to run on win 95 and win 98 platforms
> properly?

> TIA!

Re:Delphi apps on win 95/98/NT

In most cases there should not be any problems. Exceptions are when you use
service or security related API's specific to NT in your program.  You
should also get problems when you use functions exported by the psapi.dll
library.

Fortunately (for you), most of these dll functions are not normally
available in D3, so you should not really run into compatibility problems.

--
Christo Crause
Institute for Thermal Separations Research

Veronica <ron...@post1.com> wrote in message

> Hello to all,

> I am developing an appl using Delphi 3 on windows NT. I am curious to
> know, will my exe file be able to run on win 95 and win 98 platforms
> properly?

Re:Delphi apps on win 95/98/NT

Should work unless you used some WinAPI commands or other things
specified for NT only. I worked on NT and had no problems with making it
work on 9x

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 09:21:29 +0800, Veronica <ron...@post1.com> wrote:
>Hello to all,

>I am developing an appl using Delphi 3 on windows NT. I am curious to
>know, will my exe file be able to run on win 95 and win 98 platforms
>properly?

>TIA!

Regards,
E.Beli
http://www.sauron.co.yu
http://fly.to/isf
Remove X from email if you want to mail me

Other Threads