ADo, Access and TDBCtrlGrid

I have a couple of questions regarding ADO

1. Is there any way of forcing a post to update the underlying access db
immediately? To get a query to refresh with new data I have had to close the
tadotable that made the update before the tadoquery reflects the
updates/inserts.

2. I have a window that uses a TDBCtrlGrid and I want to show the user which
record is current. I have tried to use the code below to colour the selected
one but it doesn't work. What is the best way other people have found to
visually indicate the current record in a TDBCtrlGrid? What have I done
wrong in the code below?

procedure TfrmEnquiry.DBCtrlGrid1PaintPanel(DBCtrlGrid: TDBCtrlGrid;
  Index: Integer);
begin
  if Index = DBCtrlGrid1.PanelIndex then
     DBCtrlGrid1.Canvas.Brush.Color := clBtnFace
  else
     DBCtrlGrid1.Canvas.Brush.Color := clBtnShadow;
end;

Thanks for any help
Simon