client-server Interbase over internet

Hi,

I know this sounds like a rather stupid thing to be doing but it's
more for curiosity than anything as I am testing a 3-tier application
and I am testing it in the middle of a client-server app.

I am using a TCP/IP interbase setup between the UK and Australia over
a 56k modem and the performance is a lot worse that I was expecting
(stop laughing!).

my connection string is along the lines of
100.100.100.100:c:/data/db1.gdb

When I use the performance monitor on the server, it appears to only
send very small chunks of data at a time (around 10k of data at a
time) when I open a query (there are no dataaware components using the
query either) and then waits for a response from the client before
sending the next chunk of data and with the lag between the UK and
Australia it can take a few minutes to get the resultset for a very
small query.

I have tried using
query1.fetchall
in the hope that it would tell the database to just send all the data
in one go but it didn't seem to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can improve the
performance?

Thanks

Re:client-server Interbase over internet

In article <ut810v452kihsprmrgg1k8r2if2m7ls...@4ax.com>,
stur...@dingoblue.net.au says...
> Hi,

        Multi-posted; answered elsewhere.

        Please do not multi-post.

        -Craig

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] Vertex Systems Corp. Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://delphi.weblogs.com

Re:client-server Interbase over internet

Hello Craig,

Can you add where the post has been answered as the question is very
relevant for my work right at the moment so I'd like to see the answers
given. I've done some trawling but cannot find the original post...

TIA

Richard

Re:client-server Interbase over internet

In article <3e00d...@newsgroups.borland.com>,
richa...@nospam.richardj.demon.co.uk says...
> Can you add where the post has been answered as the question is very
> relevant for my work right at the moment so I'd like to see the answers
> given. I've done some trawling but cannot find the original post...

        I couldn't remember when I followed up, but having gone back and
looked, it's borland.public.delphi.database.multi-tier

        -Craig

--
Craig Stuntz [TeamB] Vertex Systems Corp. Columbus, OH
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : http://delphi.weblogs.com
InterBase Perf. Monitor : http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPerformanceMonitor
InterBase PLANalyzer 1.1: http://delphi.weblogs.com/IBPLANalyzer

Re:client-server Interbase over internet

Thanks Craig, found it...

Other Threads