Report Smith problem connecting to ASCII file

Hello,

I've got problems with connecting to an ASCII file from
ReportSmith via BDE (both 3.0 and 3.5).

I've got the .SCH file and the BDE alias right because i'm connecting
well to the ASCII file from an DBGrid in Delphi (2.0 c/s).

The online help in Report Smith sais: 'Text files containing  fields
separated by commas, and using the file extension .CSV.' when
searching for text files...??

I guess ReportSmith use BDE to connect ASCII files and therefore the
file extensions shall be .TXT and .SCH.

I use Report Smith 3.02 (shipped with D2c/s).

Thanks

Per H?kon Kleppe

Re:Report Smith problem connecting to ASCII file

You can not connect to a Ascii file via BDE in ReportSmith.
ReportSmith can only connect to Interbase, Paradox, and dBase
via BDE.  You will need to use a ODBC driver to get to the
Ascii file.

102001.3...@compuserve.com wrote:
>You can not connect to a Ascii file via BDE in ReportSmith.
>ReportSmith can only connect to Interbase, Paradox, and dBase
>via BDE.  You will need to use a ODBC driver to get to the
>Ascii file.

Thanks for the information.

But do anyone know why ?

because in ReportSmith's user guide page 302 it says:
you can connect to Text files, ASCII text
via ODBC and BDE.

Therefor i guess there is an bug in the user guide for RPSmith
or in Report Smith progarm (or BDE ?).

I thougth that all borland products using BDE, could
use BDE without exeptions. Is this wrong.

Is there other exeptions ?

Thanks
Per H?kon Kleppe

Re:Report Smith problem connecting to ASCII file

Borland did not create ReportSmith, they purchased it from
another company.  The Doc is very bad.  You need to use a ODBC
driver.

In article <5cq57b$...@alpha2.nipnett.no>,