Difficult connecting Interbase 6.0 (Lan) Database

Hello,
please an help:
.) I installed Interbase 6 on Lan Server, J: is mapped as
   c:\programs\borland\interbase\examples\v5\,
.) Lan connection is ok, from client I can see employee.gdb
   on server,
.) I registered server,ok ;  connected, ok
.) when I try to connect to employee.gdb ( indicated as file
   J:\employee.gdb, alias employee ) I get always the
   ERROR Message :

Unable to Complete Network Request to Host  J
Failed to Locate Host Machine
The specified Name was not found in the Host File
    or Domain Name Services

Where was I wrong ?
Thank you much in advance & regards, Giovanni.

Re:Difficult connecting Interbase 6.0 (Lan) Database

Hi,

Where in the documentation did you read that you have
to map a drive and use the mapped drive and path as the
file entry?

Everywhere is says to use the __local__ path on the server -
users don't access the file, the database server does. No
need to share/map or whatever.

So, use c:\programs\borland\interbase\examples\v5\employee.gdb
as the file.

--
Martijn Tonies
InterBase Workbench - the developer tool for InterBase and Firebird

Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

"This is an object-oriented system.
If we change anything, the users object."

In article <3d124a52_2@dnews>, Giovanni Filippini says...

> .) I installed Interbase 6 on Lan Server, J: is mapped as
>    c:\programs\borland\interbase\examples\v5\,

Don't use a mapped drive, use...

ServerName:c:\programs\borland\interbase\examples\v5\employee.gdb

..as the connection string.

Re:Difficult connecting Interbase 6.0 (Lan) Database

hello Martijn, J Hall,
thank you for your support, now all is OK.
I have  a final problem ( i hope ) :
From the client I can see the remote employee.gdb
     thru DatabaseDesktop functions, BUT in the SERVER
where is RUNNING Interbase 6 and IBconsole is active
I can not see the INTRBASE driver in the DatabaseDesktop
drivers panel, only Paradox,Dbase,Access, Foxpro.
Any Ideas ??
Thank you again in advance, Giovanni.

Re:Difficult connecting Interbase 6.0 (Lan) Database

hello Martijn, J Hall,
 thank you for your support, now all is OK.
 I have  a final problem ( i hope ) :
 From the client I can see the remote employee.gdb

In article <3d1362c0_1@dnews>, Giovanni Filippini says...

>  I have  a final problem ( i hope ) :
>  From the client I can see the remote employee.gdb
>       thru DatabaseDesktop functions, BUT in the SERVER
>  where is RUNNING Interbase 6 and IBconsole is active
>  I can not see the INTRBASE driver in the DatabaseDesktop
>  drivers panel

Can't help you on this one, I haven't used the BDE for years, maybe you
could try the BDE newsgroup?