Please help! Migrating from BCC 3.0 to BCC 5.02

Hi,
Could anybody please help me to find or refer a tool to convert my 16bits C
program from BCC 3.0 to 32bits BCC 5.02?
My C language source program consists of 1255 files. The total size of the
source program is about 20MB. Manual conversion and testing will take a few
months and very painful.

The characteristic of the program is as follow:
1. The program was written to run in 16 bits character mode (DOS). The new
program should run in 32bits character mode (Windows 98 or Windows NT/2000).
2. The routines to display data, enter query and print to LPT1 were written
by using the following routines: textcolor, textattr, clrscr, gotoxy, cputs,
window, gettextinfo, stdprn etc.
3. The project consists of about 125 "make files" to produce the EXE files.

Please help me to refer to a good reference book or tool so that the
conversion can be done in less painful manner.

Regards,
Sandford Jonathan

Re:Please help! Migrating from BCC 3.0 to BCC 5.02

if the target file is console EXE on Windows, modify the old 16bit
program to 32bit program is easier than GUI program(for ex: using
graphics.lib).
if ur program use DOS interrupt, it's 2 pain !

and then, i think it haven't any way 2 convert 16bit program 2 32bit
program easily.
just do it.

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:35:20 +0700, "Sandford Jonathan"

<sandf...@rad.net.id> wrote:
>Hi,
>Could anybody please help me to find or refer a tool to convert my 16bits C
>program from BCC 3.0 to 32bits BCC 5.02?
>My C language source program consists of 1255 files. The total size of the
>source program is about 20MB. Manual conversion and testing will take a few
>months and very painful.

>The characteristic of the program is as follow:
>1. The program was written to run in 16 bits character mode (DOS). The new
>program should run in 32bits character mode (Windows 98 or Windows NT/2000).
>2. The routines to display data, enter query and print to LPT1 were written
>by using the following routines: textcolor, textattr, clrscr, gotoxy, cputs,
>window, gettextinfo, stdprn etc.
>3. The project consists of about 125 "make files" to produce the EXE files.

>Please help me to refer to a good reference book or tool so that the
>conversion can be done in less painful manner.

>Regards,
>Sandford Jonathan

Don't Worry, Be Happy.
----------------------
 CONEOS Software Inc.
http://coneos.126.com

Re:Please help! Migrating from BCC 3.0 to BCC 5.02

I dont know of such a tool. I am quite sure you will have
to do it the manual way. As long as your code is mostly standard
ANSI C, it will be quite easy. If you use a lot of old DOS trickery and BIOS
and DOS Interrupts, it will be quite a task.
Maybe you can automate part of the work by using bash or perl scripts.
I have done extensive multiple Makefile updates in large projects by using
bash scripting (yes bash is avalable for Windows).
To convert your code you can make some basic changes that way too, but I'm
sure you will not get away without a lot of manual work.

Boris

"Sandford Jonathan" <sandf...@rad.net.id> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Hi,
> Could anybody please help me to find or refer a tool to convert my 16bits
> program from BCC 3.0 to 32bits BCC 5.02?
> My C language source program consists of 1255 files. The total size of the
> source program is about 20MB. Manual conversion and testing will take a
few
> months and very painful.

> The characteristic of the program is as follow:
> 1. The program was written to run in 16 bits character mode (DOS). The new
> program should run in 32bits character mode (Windows 98 or Windows
NT/2000).
> 2. The routines to display data, enter query and print to LPT1 were
written
> by using the following routines: textcolor, textattr, clrscr, gotoxy,
cputs,
> window, gettextinfo, stdprn etc.
> 3. The project consists of about 125 "make files" to produce the EXE
files.

> Please help me to refer to a good reference book or tool so that the
> conversion can be done in less painful manner.

> Regards,
> Sandford Jonathan

Other Threads