How to port a DEC-Pascal application?

One of our users is thinking of porting some DECPascal code (for the Alpha
platform) to a PC. He is wondering what kind of problems he will encounter.
Beforehand we could think of:
        - using digital's extensions, which are hard to port
        - architecture dependant statements

We have the following questions:
        Are there tools for porting a DEC-Pascal apllication?
        What kind of problems can we encounter in porting an application?

BTW, I understand that everything depends on the applications itself.
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the application to be ported.

--
Leo de Lange                                    KPN Research
Email : L.P.deLa...@research.kpn.com          P.O. box 421,

Re:How to port a DEC-Pascal application?

In article <01bbc279$e2d3e6f0$ddc53f8b@pc3304>, "Leo de Lange" <L.P.deLa...@research.kpn.com> writes...

>One of our users is thinking of porting some DECPascal code (for the Alpha
>platform) to a PC. He is wondering what kind of problems he will encounter.
>Beforehand we could think of:
>    - using digital's extensions, which are hard to port
>    - architecture dependant statements

You can use /STANDARD to tell you about all things that are extensions
to either the unextended Pascal or Extended Pascal standard.  Since you
didn't say what compiler you are going to be using on your "PC", I can't
tell you much more than that.

--
John Reagan
DEC Pascal Project Leader

Leo de Lange (L.P.deLa...@research.kpn.com) wrote:

>    What kind of problems can we encounter in porting an application?

If you try to port your programs to Borland Pascal, you will probably
get problems with the 64 kB limit for a single variable and the data
segment (all global variables).  Also, Borland Pascal (and compatible
systems) do not support ISO Pascal (not even ISO-7185 Standard Pascal).

The only Pascal compiler I know which runs equally on a DEC Alpha and
on a PC is GNU Pascal.  Check the Mini FAQ posted weekly to
comp.lang.pascal.borland  or the GNU Pascal home page,
http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~gnu-pascal/.

    Peter

      e-mail:  peter.gerwin...@uni-essen.de
home address:  D\"usseldorfer Str. 35, 45145 Essen, Germany
         WWW:  http://agnes.dida.physik.uni-essen.de/~peter/

Other Threads