Newbie needs help "Getting Started"!

Hi,
    I just bought Delphi 2.01 last week (I may update to Delphi 97
when the time comes, I'll just see how I do with Delphi 2.01!).  A few
days ago I wrote my first program that was in the "Getting started"
manual.  Everything seemed to work fine except I don't see any data in
any of my TDBGrid objects.  It says on page 42 that data should appear
immediatly, but it doesn't for me!  I heard that there was a error in
the documentation but have not been able to find an explanation on the
Borland site.  How do I get data to show in my first app? it is a
little discouraging when your first application doesn't work!

Thanks in advance,
John

Re:Newbie needs help "Getting Started"!

Have you set the table to Active and set the Datasource to point to the
DBGrid.

I don't have the version you have, I have no manual title Getting Started
except for the Interbase Server one.  Is that the one you're talking
about???

Jeremy
jedl...@isc-durant.com

John D. Courtney <j...@mail.auracom.com> wrote in article
<5e2ing$n7...@thor.atcon.com>...

j...@mail.auracom.com (John D. Courtney) wrote:

>Hi,
>    I just bought Delphi 2.01 last week (I may update to Delphi 97
>when the time comes, I'll just see how I do with Delphi 2.01!).  A few
>days ago I wrote my first program that was in the "Getting started"
>manual.  Everything seemed to work fine except I don't see any data in
>any of my TDBGrid objects.  It says on page 42 that data should appear
>immediatly, but it doesn't for me!  I heard that there was a error in
>the documentation but have not been able to find an explanation on the
>Borland site.  How do I get data to show in my first app? it is a
>little discouraging when your first application doesn't work!
>Thanks in advance,
>John

I think you need to set the Active property of all your TTables to
true, if this is the example I think it is

Jez

Re:Newbie needs help "Getting Started"!

|>Hi,
|>    I just bought Delphi 2.01 last week (I may update to Delphi 97
|>when the time comes, I'll just see how I do with Delphi 2.01!).  A few
|>days ago I wrote my first program that was in the "Getting started"
|>manual.  Everything seemed to work fine except I don't see any data in
|>any of my TDBGrid objects.  It says on page 42 that data should appear
|>immediatly, but it doesn't for me!  I heard that there was a error in
|>the documentation but have not been able to find an explanation on the
|>Borland site.  How do I get data to show in my first app? it is a
|>little discouraging when your first application doesn't work!
|>
|>Thanks in advance,
|>John

set the table's active property to true.  This was omitted in the book.

John D. Courtney wrote:

> Hi,
>     I just bought Delphi 2.01 last week (I may update to Delphi 97
> when the time comes, I'll just see how I do with Delphi 2.01!).  A few
> days ago I wrote my first program that was in the "Getting started"
> manual.  Everything seemed to work fine except I don't see any data in
> any of my TDBGrid objects.  It says on page 42 that data should appear
> immediatly, but it doesn't for me!  I heard that there was a error in
> the documentation but have not been able to find an explanation on the
> Borland site.  How do I get data to show in my first app? it is a
> little discouraging when your first application doesn't work!

> Thanks in advance,
> John

Try setting the "Active" property of your Table to True.  That will make
the data appear.

Chris

Re:Newbie needs help "Getting Started"!

Chris Monson (ch...@insurquote.com) wrote:

: >
:
: Try setting the "Active" property of your Table to True.  That will make
: the data appear.
:
: Chris
Yes, "Active" should be set to True. Borland has stuffed, begginers get
very annoyed when their first app doesn't work
--
Trajano Roberto <t...@melbourne.dialix.oz.au>
74 Pasadena Crescent

Other Threads