Query Component Does not Post Until Application is Terminated

Compiler:  Delphi5 Enterprise
BDE Ver:  5.01 or 5.10
Database: Oracle 8.0.5

I wrote a simple program with a TDatabase component, one TQuery, a
TDatasource,
a TDBGrid pointing to the datasource, and a TDBnavigator.  The SQL for the
TQuery
was simply 'Select * from MYTABLE'.
The TQuery's 'Request Live' is set to 'True'.
I run the program, and insert a new record, then post it using the
TDBnavigator.
However, when I run the SQL Explorer and look at MYTABLE the record I posted
does not appear.  The strange thing is that the record will post only after
I exit out
of the program.
Thinking that it may have something to do with the new BDE that came with
Delphi5,
I uninstalled the BDE and reinstalled the BDE version that came with
Delphi4.  I ran
the same program again, and lo and behold , the record(s) I post from my
program
immediately appear in the SQL Explorer.

This leads me to my question:
Is there a step I am missing or a property I forgot to set?  Or may this be
a problem with
the new BDE currently shipping with Delphi5 (and also with BDE version
5.10)?

Thanks in advance for help and guidance in this matter,

PC

Re:Query Component Does not Post Until Application is Terminated

Commit no longer seems to work in BDE 5.1 and Oracle 8.  Having the
same problem.  I don't think it is exiting, but the close of
TDatabase.  I use AutoCommit with TTables and Transaction objects and
neither work.  You are the third to post this problem.  I have posted
the bug and put questions in the BDE new group.  No responses yet.  It
has only been one day.

I put a simple test screen together and it seemed to work fine.  I am
having problems with screens that use a lot of inheritance.  What about
you?

--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software

http://www.bss-software.com

Re:Query Component Does not Post Until Application is Terminated

Thanks for the reply,

So far removing the BDE 5.10 version and reinstalling the BDE
version prior to the upgrade has resolved this problem for me.
I'm currently testing the ADO components, and seriously thinking
about converting my apps to use them, which will enable me to
bypass the BDE altogether.

So far I haven't used screens that uses alot of inheritance, and I
haven't experienced any problems in that area.

tmiller wrote:
> Commit no longer seems to work in BDE 5.1 and Oracle 8.  Having the
> same problem.  I don't think it is exiting, but the close of
> TDatabase.  I use AutoCommit with TTables and Transaction objects and
> neither work.  You are the third to post this problem.  I have posted
> the bug and put questions in the BDE new group.  No responses yet.  It
> has only been one day.

> I put a simple test screen together and it seemed to work fine.  I am
> having problems with screens that use a lot of inheritance.  What about
> you?

> PC wrote:

> > Compiler:  Delphi5 Enterprise
> > BDE Ver:  5.01 or 5.10
> > Database: Oracle 8.0.5

> > I wrote a simple program with a TDatabase component, one TQuery, a
> > TDatasource,
> > a TDBGrid pointing to the datasource, and a TDBnavigator.  The SQL for the
> > TQuery
> > was simply 'Select * from MYTABLE'.
> > The TQuery's 'Request Live' is set to 'True'.
> > I run the program, and insert a new record, then post it using the
> > TDBnavigator.
> > However, when I run the SQL Explorer and look at MYTABLE the record I posted
> > does not appear.  The strange thing is that the record will post only after
> > I exit out
> > of the program.
> > Thinking that it may have something to do with the new BDE that came with
> > Delphi5,
> > I uninstalled the BDE and reinstalled the BDE version that came with
> > Delphi4.  I ran
> > the same program again, and lo and behold , the record(s) I post from my
> > program
> > immediately appear in the SQL Explorer.

> > This leads me to my question:
> > Is there a step I am missing or a property I forgot to set?  Or may this be
> > a problem with
> > the new BDE currently shipping with Delphi5 (and also with BDE version
> > 5.10)?

> > Thanks in advance for help and guidance in this matter,

> > PC

> --
> Thomas Miller
> Delphi Client/Server Certified Developer
> BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
> BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork

> http://www.bss-software.com

Re:Query Component Does not Post Until Application is Terminated

How did you remove 5.10.  I don't see an uninstall.  I ended up just
deleting all the directories and any registry entries.  That workstation
works better, but it is sometimes showing undesired features!

I plan on doing my workstation tomorrow.  ADO isn't an options for me
at this point.

--

tmiller <tmil...@bss-software.com> wrote:
>How did you remove 5.10.  I don't see an uninstall.  I ended up just
>deleting all the directories and any registry entries.

Isn't there an uninstall in the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs?

--
Regards,
Chris Roberts

Re:Query Component Does not Post Until Application is Terminated

I removed the old BDE just the way you (Mr. TMiller) did by deleting the BDE
folder and registry entries.

So far the previous BDE hasn't shown any undesirable effects.  I
believe that if you recompile your program with the old BDE installed, and
the computer you run it on also has the same BDE version, then  it should
not
give you any undesirable effects.

Regards,
Patrick

Chris Roberts <croberts_nils...@picknowl.com.au> wrote in message

> tmiller <tmil...@bss-software.com> wrote:

> >How did you remove 5.10.  I don't see an uninstall.  I ended up just
> >deleting all the directories and any registry entries.

> Isn't there an uninstall in the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs?

> --
> Regards,
> Chris Roberts

Re:Query Component Does not Post Until Application is Terminated

No.

--
Thomas Miller
BSS Accounting & Distribution Software
BSS Enterprise Accounting FrameWork

http://www.bss-software.com

Re:Query Component Does not Post Until Application is Terminated

Join the club!

It seems to be a "BugDE" :-)

I only have a simple data loading program that appends records to another
table.
The changes are commited ONLY AFTER the application ends!

Sorry...
CH3
Rui Chambel
- Portugal -
Delphi, C++, VB, Java, SQL, I*net
e-mail: rcham...@netscape.net
Make your life simple:
Write your own programs!

PC <pcdelp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Compiler:  Delphi5 Enterprise
> BDE Ver:  5.01 or 5.10
> Database: Oracle 8.0.5

> I wrote a simple program with a TDatabase component, one TQuery, a
> TDatasource,
> a TDBGrid pointing to the datasource, and a TDBnavigator.  The SQL for the
> TQuery
> was simply 'Select * from MYTABLE'.
> The TQuery's 'Request Live' is set to 'True'.
> I run the program, and insert a new record, then post it using the
> TDBnavigator.
> However, when I run the SQL Explorer and look at MYTABLE the record I
posted
> does not appear.  The strange thing is that the record will post only
after
> I exit out
> of the program.
> Thinking that it may have something to do with the new BDE that came with
> Delphi5,
> I uninstalled the BDE and reinstalled the BDE version that came with
> Delphi4.  I ran
> the same program again, and lo and behold , the record(s) I post from my
> program
> immediately appear in the SQL Explorer.

> This leads me to my question:
> Is there a step I am missing or a property I forgot to set?  Or may this
be
> a problem with
> the new BDE currently shipping with Delphi5 (and also with BDE version
> 5.10)?

> Thanks in advance for help and guidance in this matter,

> PC

Re:Query Component Does not Post Until Application is Terminated

count me in. This is what mine has been doing.  I thought it was just me
doing something wrong.

PC wrote in message <7rju0h$8p...@forums.borland.com>...
>Compiler:  Delphi5 Enterprise
>BDE Ver:  5.01 or 5.10
>Database: Oracle 8.0.5

>I wrote a simple program with a TDatabase component, one TQuery, a
>TDatasource,
>a TDBGrid pointing to the datasource, and a TDBnavigator.  The SQL for the
>TQuery
>was simply 'Select * from MYTABLE'.
>The TQuery's 'Request Live' is set to 'True'.
>I run the program, and insert a new record, then post it using the
>TDBnavigator.
>However, when I run the SQL Explorer and look at MYTABLE the record I
posted
>does not appear.  The strange thing is that the record will post only after
>I exit out
>of the program.
>Thinking that it may have something to do with the new BDE that came with
>Delphi5,
>I uninstalled the BDE and reinstalled the BDE version that came with
>Delphi4.  I ran
>the same program again, and lo and behold , the record(s) I post from my
>program
>immediately appear in the SQL Explorer.

>This leads me to my question:
>Is there a step I am missing or a property I forgot to set?  Or may this be
>a problem with
>the new BDE currently shipping with Delphi5 (and also with BDE version
>5.10)?

>Thanks in advance for help and guidance in this matter,

>PC

Re:Query Component Does not Post Until Application is Terminated

If this is with Oracle download the new update Oracle SQL Link driver from the
Borland website.  This bug is fixed in it.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's

Re:Query Component Does not Post Until Application is Terminated

> If this is with Oracle download the new update Oracle SQL Link driver from the
> Borland website.  This bug is fixed in it.

Nope.  I'm using Paradox 5.10 with Delphi 3.0.

Same problem they were experiencing.

Re:Query Component Does not Post Until Application is Terminated

You do have Local Share equal to True on all machines right?

David Beyer wrote:

> > If this is with Oracle download the new update Oracle SQL Link driver from the
> > Borland website.  This bug is fixed in it.

> Nope.  I'm using Paradox 5.10 with Delphi 3.0.

> Same problem they were experiencing.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's
side.  I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have little else
to sustain them.  Humoring them costs nothing and ads to happiness in
a world in which happiness is in short supply.   (RAH)

Re:Query Component Does not Post Until Application is Terminated

i'm not sure about this.  Is the SQLPASSTHRU option I saw mentioned in the 5.10 (and
oracle update) have any bearing on me?  This bug makes it VERY difficult to program.
I can't tell half the time if it's me or a bug.

Local share setting is in the bde admin I take it?

David Beyer wrote:

> i'm not sure about this.  Is the SQLPASSTHRU option I saw mentioned in the 5.10 (and
> oracle update) have any bearing on me?  This bug makes it VERY difficult to program.
> I can't tell half the time if it's me or a bug.

I do not think SQLPASSTHROUGH affects pDox users.

> Local share setting is in the bde admin I take it?

Yes it is.  Check out the configuration tab System->Init.  By default this
setting will be false.  When it is false pDox and dBase write cache the changes
and only post them to the physical DB when the dataset is closed (like when the
application is closed).  This improves performance, but in a multi user
situation no one else can see the changes until the dataset is closed.  This
performance boost isn't as big nowadays as when it was first introduced due to
faster machines and networks.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's
side.  I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have little else
to sustain them.  Humoring them costs nothing and ads to happiness in
a world in which happiness is in short supply.   (RAH)

Re:Query Component Does not Post Until Application is Terminated

> Yes it is.  Check out the configuration tab System->Init.  By default this
> setting will be false.  When it is false pDox and dBase write cache the changes
> and only post them to the physical DB when the dataset is closed (like when the
> application is closed).  This improves performance, but in a multi user
> situation no one else can see the changes until the dataset is closed.  This
> performance boost isn't as big nowadays as when it was first introduced due to
> faster machines and networks.

Thanks much.  I'll check that option.  It might just save me .open .close statements
allover the place.
Go to page: [1] [2]

Other Threads