Need access to Paradox or dBase without BDEor ADO (without installing BDE or ADO)

I need component suit for access to Paradox or dBase files without BDE or
ADO (BDE or ADO
need instalation). I need full support SQL (Query). It is important speed of
access.

Re:Need access to Paradox or dBase without BDEor ADO (without installing BDE or ADO)

How about ODBC? mODBC is a free package, build into exe.

James.

Telia <a...@softserve.lviv.ua> wrote in message

> I need component suit for access to Paradox or dBase files without BDE or
> ADO (BDE or ADO
> need instalation). I need full support SQL (Query). It is important speed
of
> access.

Re:Need access to Paradox or dBase without BDEor ADO (without installing BDE or ADO)

What do you have against installations?  Your EXE needs installed.

Paul / ColumbuSoft
www.columbusoft.com

Telia <a...@softserve.lviv.ua> wrote in message

> I need component suit for access to Paradox or dBase files without BDE or
> ADO (BDE or ADO
> need instalation). I need full support SQL (Query). It is important speed
of
> access.

Re:Need access to Paradox or dBase without BDEor ADO (without installing BDE or ADO)

The only way to access Paradox tables without the BDE is an old Microsoft
ODBC driver and it only supports level 4 and earlier. What is the problem
with installations? Your app needs to be installed. Any third party database
engine will need to be installed. Getting rid of the BDE does not eliminate
installations.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Need access to Paradox or dBase without BDEor ADO (without installing BDE or ADO)

>I need component suit for access to Paradox or dBase files without BDE or
>ADO (BDE or ADO
>need instalation). I need full support SQL (Query). It is important speed of
>access.

The only way to access paradox tables without BDE is to use the Microsoft ODBC
driver and that is only good for level 5 or lower tables.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Need access to Paradox or dBase without BDEor ADO (without installing BDE or ADO)

On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 01:53:39 GMT, BBus...@Nmpls.com (Brian

Bushay TeamB) wrote:
>The only way to access paradox tables without BDE is to use the Microsoft ODBC
>driver and that is only good for level 5 or lower tables.

Specifically, what MS ODBC driver?  When using this driver
are the VCL data components still usable?

When you say 'level 5 or lower' are
you referring to Paradox Windows 5.0
version files  or lower (DOS 4.5,4.0,etc )?

thanks, Otto Porter

Re:Need access to Paradox or dBase without BDEor ADO (without installing BDE or ADO)

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 18:54:08 +0200, "Telia" <a...@softserve.lviv.ua>
wrote:

>I need component suit for access to Paradox or dBase files without BDE or
>ADO (BDE or ADO
>need instalation). I need full support SQL (Query). It is important speed of
>access.

As TeamB already pointed out, you don't have much choice for Paradox.
For dBase, OTOH, there is a wealth of 3P solutions.  A complete list
can be found at:
   www.kylecordes.com

Jan

Otto Porter wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Mar 2000 01:53:39 GMT, BBus...@Nmpls.com (Brian
> Bushay TeamB) wrote:

> >The only way to access paradox tables without BDE is to use the Microsoft ODBC
> >driver and that is only good for level 5 or lower tables.

> Specifically, what MS ODBC driver?  When using this driver
> are the VCL data components still usable?

The MS Paradox ODBS driver.  The lastest version of the drvier still require the
BDE if you want to write to a pDox table, but you can read without the BDE.

If you have D5 you can use the ADOExpress components to connect to an ODBC
datasource and still use the VCL components.  But of course that would mean you
still have to distribute MDAC which is roughly the same size as the BDE and the
BDE is you want to write to the pDox tables.  Or you can but a 3rd party ODBC
dataset.  There are several of them, but it won't change the need for the BDE to
write data.

> When you say 'level 5 or lower' are
> you referring to Paradox Windows 5.0
> version files  or lower (DOS 4.5,4.0,etc )?

Level 5 Paradox tables.  You won't be able to use any features that require your
Table level to be Level 6 or 7.

Generally if you are going to use pDox as your file format you should use the
BDE.  There basically is not any way to write to pDox without the BDE so you are
only adding complication by trying to get away from the BDE.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
If there is somebody up there could they throw me down a line.  Just a

Re:Need access to Paradox or dBase without BDEor ADO (without installing BDE or ADO)

>Specifically, what MS ODBC driver?

I don't remember the version number.  What ever ODBC driver versions for Paradox
that where  distributed with Office 95 and 97

>When using this driver
>are the VCL data components still usable?

Not unless you get an ODBC database component like ODBC express

>When you say 'level 5 or lower' are
>you referring to Paradox Windows 5.0
>version files  or lower (DOS 4.5,4.0,etc )?

Paradox tables used in Windows are level 4,5 and 7
The numbers correspond to the version of Paradox they where first released in.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Need access to Paradox or dBase without BDEor ADO (without installing BDE or ADO)

Where I can take this driver? How I can install it? What performance?
Please, write me detail about it.

James Chou <ja...@radicalogic.com> wrote in message

> How about ODBC? mODBC is a free package, build into exe.

> James.

> Telia <a...@softserve.lviv.ua> wrote in message
> > I need component suit for access to Paradox or dBase files without BDE
or
> > ADO (BDE or ADO
> > need instalation). I need full support SQL (Query). It is important
speed
> of
> > access.

Re:Need access to Paradox or dBase without BDEor ADO (without installing BDE or ADO)

Where I can get this driver? How I can install it? I have some MS Paradox
driver (v. 4.00.4202.00, in standart suit), but i cannot install it even
manually. Borland products hover when try to use this alias.

Bill Todd (TeamB) <b...@dbginc.com> wrote in message

> The only way to access Paradox tables without the BDE is an old Microsoft
> ODBC driver and it only supports level 4 and earlier. What is the problem
> with installations? Your app needs to be installed. Any third party
database
> engine will need to be installed. Getting rid of the BDE does not
eliminate
> installations.

> --
> Bill

> Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Need access to Paradox or dBase without BDEor ADO (without installing BDE or ADO)

I have no idea where you can get the old Microsoft driver.

--
Bill

Bill Todd (TeamB)