2 questions re: CD-ROM Paradox databases (Delphi 4)

Hello all,

Ummm ... I'm a relative newby to Delphi, and am having a couple of
problems which I would greatly appreciate assistance
with.

Some Background :
The application I am writing (in Delphi 4.0 Pro) needs to be able to
access database files (Paradox) which reside on
CD-ROM. The databases in question have the locking file included on the
CD-ROM.

The Problem :
When I attempt to load a database from the CD-ROM it will do so
successfully ONLY if the name of the sub-directory the
database resides in contains no spaces (i.e. it will work with databases
which reside in the root directory and in directories
which have long file names without spaces).  This behaviour is only
exhibited on CD-ROM databases.  Databases which
reside on local and network directories whose directory names include
spaces, work perfectly (and it is the same function
which opens all databases!     Odd!

The other problem I have is one which I am fairly sure will have a
simple solution (though it eludes me!!).
It appears as if the BDE uses a temporary "swap file" when processing
SQL queries, and that this swap file defaults to the
directory the database being queried resides in.  How does one set this
swap file to a different directory (i.e. the writable
hard disk rather than the read-only CD drive!!!)

Many thanks in advance! :)

Paul Bok

Re:2 questions re: CD-ROM Paradox databases (Delphi 4)

>The other problem I have is one which I am fairly sure will have a
>simple solution (though it eludes me!!).
>It appears as if the BDE uses a temporary "swap file" when processing
>SQL queries, and that this swap file defaults to the
>directory the database being queried resides in.  How does one set this
>swap file to a different directory (i.e. the writable
>hard disk rather than the read-only CD drive!!!)

The swap file is where the Session.privateDir property points to.
This is by default the directory your applications starts up in.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Other Threads