SQL Links 3.5 and Oracle 7.3 Connections

Up to last week I had a working connection between Delphi 2.0 C/S and
Personal Oracle 7.2 on my Dell 100XPi portable. I could also connect to
Oracle 7.2 on our Windows 4.0 server.

Then I upgraded to the BDE 3.5, SQL Links 3.5 and Personal Oracle 7.3

The new installation of Oracle no longer has ORANT71.DLL, so I went into
the BDE configuration and changed the vendor init to ORA7WIN.DLL

I tried to establish the connection and I get vendor initialisation
failed ORANT71

I have looked through all the registry and this DLL is not being
referenced from anywhere, I even copied the ORANT71 from my, non updated
desktop, and it still gives the error message.

I also cannot connect to the server Oracle either.

Does anyone know what else has to be changed in the BDE config to get
this connection to work?

Thanks,   David Kirkpatrick
          Oriflame International
          david.kirkpatr...@oribrussels.sprint.com

Re:SQL Links 3.5 and Oracle 7.3 Connections

David Kirkpatrick wrote:

> Up to last week I had a working connection between Delphi 2.0 C/S and
> Personal Oracle 7.2 on my Dell 100XPi portable. I could also connect to
> Oracle 7.2 on our Windows 4.0 server.

> Then I upgraded to the BDE 3.5, SQL Links 3.5 and Personal Oracle 7.3

> The new installation of Oracle no longer has ORANT71.DLL, so I went into
> the BDE configuration and changed the vendor init to ORA7WIN.DLL

> I tried to establish the connection and I get vendor initialisation
> failed ORANT71

> I have looked through all the registry and this DLL is not being
> referenced from anywhere, I even copied the ORANT71 from my, non updated
> desktop, and it still gives the error message.

> I also cannot connect to the server Oracle either.

> Does anyone know what else has to be changed in the BDE config to get
> this connection to work?

> Thanks,   David Kirkpatrick
>           Oriflame International
>           david.kirkpatr...@oribrussels.sprint.com

If you installed Personal Oracle 7.3 then you have to add the path of
your BIN directory to your DOS PATH environment variable. Secondly you
have to look into that same BIN directory for a ORA*.DLL (propably
ORA73.DLL) and use this name as your Vendor Init.

Hope this helps,
Bert Hardeman

Re:SQL Links 3.5 and Oracle 7.3 Connections

It seems to be FAQ. Simply copy your ora73.dll to orant71.dll.

Regards, Victor Poteryahin.

David Kirkpatrick <eu001...@eunet.be> wrote in article
<32A459FF.1...@eunet.be>...

> Up to last week I had a working connection between Delphi 2.0 C/S and
> Personal Oracle 7.2 on my Dell 100XPi portable. I could also connect to
> Oracle 7.2 on our Windows 4.0 server.

> Then I upgraded to the BDE 3.5, SQL Links 3.5 and Personal Oracle 7.3

> The new installation of Oracle no longer has ORANT71.DLL, so I went into
> the BDE configuration and changed the vendor init to ORA7WIN.DLL

> I tried to establish the connection and I get vendor initialisation
> failed ORANT71

> I have looked through all the registry and this DLL is not being
> referenced from anywhere, I even copied the ORANT71 from my, non updated
> desktop, and it still gives the error message.

> I also cannot connect to the server Oracle either.

> Does anyone know what else has to be changed in the BDE config to get
> this connection to work?

> Thanks,   David Kirkpatrick
>           Oriflame International
>           david.kirkpatr...@oribrussels.sprint.com

Re:SQL Links 3.5 and Oracle 7.3 Connections

We had a similar problem trying to get the BDE to work with the ORA72.DLL.
It gave the same error message as describer below (failed ORANT71.DLL)

We solved it by setting the BDE to not support the Windows 3.1 idapi.cfg
file (Uncheck the Options | Configure Windows 3.1) and then used RegEdit to
change the Vendor Init section (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software, Borland,
Database Engine, Drivers, Oracle, Init) to its correct value.
You only have to make sure that this DLL is somewhere in your path.

JanJaap van den Hurk
Irdeto NL
jjvdh...@irdeto.nl

Victor Poteryahin <v...@parad.ru> wrote in article
<01bbe343$aa2f9660$37bd7cc1@vup>...

> It seems to be FAQ. Simply copy your ora73.dll to orant71.dll.

> Regards, Victor Poteryahin.

> David Kirkpatrick <eu001...@eunet.be> wrote in article
> <32A459FF.1...@eunet.be>...
> > Up to last week I had a working connection between Delphi 2.0 C/S and
> > Personal Oracle 7.2 on my Dell 100XPi portable. I could also connect to
> > Oracle 7.2 on our Windows 4.0 server.

> > Then I upgraded to the BDE 3.5, SQL Links 3.5 and Personal Oracle 7.3

> > The new installation of Oracle no longer has ORANT71.DLL, so I went
into
> > the BDE configuration and changed the vendor init to ORA7WIN.DLL

> > I tried to establish the connection and I get vendor initialisation
> > failed ORANT71

> > I have looked through all the registry and this DLL is not being
> > referenced from anywhere, I even copied the ORANT71 from my, non
updated
> > desktop, and it still gives the error message.

> > I also cannot connect to the server Oracle either.

> > Does anyone know what else has to be changed in the BDE config to get
> > this connection to work?

> > Thanks,   David Kirkpatrick
> >           Oriflame International
> >           david.kirkpatr...@oribrussels.sprint.com

Re:SQL Links 3.5 and Oracle 7.3 Connections

Or set VENDOR INIT = ORA73.DLL in the BDE config. Also check that the
NET PROTOCOL = TNS.

-- Jan Holst

Victor Poteryahin wrote:

> It seems to be FAQ. Simply copy your ora73.dll to orant71.dll.

> Regards, Victor Poteryahin.

> David Kirkpatrick <eu001...@eunet.be> wrote in article
> <32A459FF.1...@eunet.be>...
> > Up to last week I had a working connection between Delphi 2.0 C/S and
> > Personal Oracle 7.2 on my Dell 100XPi portable. I could also connect to
> > Oracle 7.2 on our Windows 4.0 server.

> > Then I upgraded to the BDE 3.5, SQL Links 3.5 and Personal Oracle 7.3

> > The new installation of Oracle no longer has ORANT71.DLL, so I went into
> > the BDE configuration and changed the vendor init to ORA7WIN.DLL

> > I tried to establish the connection and I get vendor initialisation
> > failed ORANT71

> > I have looked through all the registry and this DLL is not being
> > referenced from anywhere, I even copied the ORANT71 from my, non updated
> > desktop, and it still gives the error message.

> > I also cannot connect to the server Oracle either.

> > Does anyone know what else has to be changed in the BDE config to get
> > this connection to work?

> > Thanks,   David Kirkpatrick
> >           Oriflame International
> >           david.kirkpatr...@oribrussels.sprint.com