Database Problems : Too many open tables, Some internal limit reached

Using D3, BD5, I have been getting a strange error lately.
When I start scrolling through a table (Paradox, about 20K records)
and updating records (upto about 1000 at a time) the other users who
have that table open start getting "Too may open tables" or "Some
Internal Limit Reached", not just once but many times over, may
completely freeze or crash, the updating slows down to a crawl, but
curiously it does not crash or give errors or freeze completely on the
machine that's updating, although the updating user typically has more
tables open than any other user (as the updating is through a
dynamically created and freed table). There are no more than 5-6
users, there are no more than about 7-8 tables open when this happens
and there is even no table activity in the users that crash, ie there
are no refreshes, edits, scrolls, not even any connected datacontrols
..etc, they crash simply because they happen to be connected to the
table that is being updated. I do not use any 3rd party controls,
access components. I pushed all the params in the BDE to the max with
no result. The only thing I can think of is that there are possibly
more than one (3 max) connection to a physical table by a user at one
time, but I do not see why this should matter.

Any suggestions are welcome although updating to a c/s solution is out
of the question, I have yet to convince the company to update to D5
and the current problems don't help. The performance with 5-6 users
has been dismal so far. I have been using Paradox tables (8 of them),
the "largest" of which is 20K records, 40+ fields, about 20 indexes
(too many?). The other tables are tiny. Would .DB tables behave
better? Which has the better locking mechanism / index management? The
MIS has been using Fox Pro w DB for some time now with much larger
tables and many more users and their system seems to be much more
robust and responsive, not to mention less demanding on system
resources.

Thank you.
--
To reply, remove 1st xyz, replace 2nd w/ ca.

Re:Database Problems : Too many open tables, Some internal limit reached

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:59:28 GMT, safak...@shaw.wave.xyz wrote:
>Using D3, BD5...

[...]

What is that "BD5"? Did that mean version 5 of the BDE? If so, can you
determine which subversion (there were a few)? Check the timestamp of the
BDE system DLLs. This should indicate the version.

If you have version 5.0 (which I suspect is most likely), you might want to
upgrade (free Web download) BDE 5.01.

  http://www.borland.com/bde/

                                                              -- Redd Foxx

koter...@NOSPAMgte.net (Steve Koterski) wrote:
>On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:59:28 GMT, safak...@shaw.wave.xyz wrote:
>>Using D3, BD5...

>[...]
>What is that "BD5"? Did that mean version 5 of the BDE?

Yes, that was a typo. BDE 5.0. However, I upgraded to BDE 5.01 and
nothing changed. When I start modifying records (about 1000) on a
table on one computer, some (not all) of the other users on other
computers start getting "Too many open tables" messages (one keeps
popping up almost every second, the only way out is to kill the
process). In the meantime, the updating practically halts until these
other processes are killed. I am checking and logging the open dataset
count under Session and the max that I have is 8 (nowhere close to 255
which I believe is the limit?) and I am not doing anything funny (or
anything at all) with tables at timer events. It does not make any
difference either whether I use cached updates or not.

--
To reply, remove 1st xyz, replace 2nd w/ ca.

Re:Database Problems : Too many open tables, Some internal limit reached

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:27:45 GMT, safak...@shaw.wave.xyz wrote:

[...]

>Yes, that was a typo. BDE 5.0. However, I upgraded to BDE 5.01 and
>nothing changed. When I start modifying records (about 1000) on a
>table on one computer, some (not all) of the other users on other
>computers start getting "Too many open tables" messages (one keeps
>popping up almost every second, the only way out is to kill the
>process). In the meantime, the updating practically halts until these
>other processes are killed. I am checking and logging the open dataset
>count under Session and the max that I have is 8 (nowhere close to 255
>which I believe is the limit?) and I am not doing anything funny (or
>anything at all) with tables at timer events. It does not make any
>difference either whether I use cached updates or not.

I am afraid you have me on this one. I have been out of support for a
couple years and so am not up to date on any current issues (assuming this
is one). This is not a situation I have encountered and so I cannot provide
any useful advice. Sorry.

                                                              -- Redd Foxx

Other Threads