Delphi/Access Blob handles with memo fields

I sent to this to the Delphi Knowledge base but haven't had any
answer yet. Can anyone help? ...

Topic: BDE

I cannot insert a new memo fields contents into an Acces database.
Access is linked to the BDE via ODBC(32).
I have a (select) query over just one table which returns a live result
set from Access. Calling insert sets the query into insert mode and
everything seems fine.
I can write text to my hearts content into all the (db)edit fields
including the one (db)memo field returned from the query.
When I call post I get a EDBEngineError - Invalid BLOB handle. BUT
this only happens if I have entered text into the memo field.
Trying the same thing with a datasource linked to a table produces a
different error message under the same circumstances. EDBEngineError
- Record/Key deleted.
I can't find any documentation on these facts and the manuals don't
refer to ODBC. The only piece of information I could find was in the
Access on-line help which says that SQL doesn't support BLOB fields.
Could this be part of the problem, or the whole problem?

Help!

j_ma...@oscarfab.demon.co.uk
Oscar Faber-Water Division, Marlborough House, Upper Marlborough Rd,
St. Albans, Herts. AL1 3UT.

Re:Delphi/Access Blob handles with memo fields

J_MAKIN wrote:

> I sent to this to the Delphi Knowledge base but haven't had any
> answer yet. Can anyone help? ...

> Topic: BDE

> I cannot insert a new memo fields contents into an Acces database.
> Access is linked to the BDE via ODBC(32).
> I have a (select) query over just one table which returns a live result
> set from Access. Calling insert sets the query into insert mode and
> everything seems fine.
> I can write text to my hearts content into all the (db)edit fields
> including the one (db)memo field returned from the query.
> When I call post I get a EDBEngineError - Invalid BLOB handle. BUT
> this only happens if I have entered text into the memo field.
> Trying the same thing with a datasource linked to a table produces a
> different error message under the same circumstances. EDBEngineError
> - Record/Key deleted.
> I can't find any documentation on these facts and the manuals don't
> refer to ODBC. The only piece of information I could find was in the
> Access on-line help which says that SQL doesn't support BLOB fields.
> Could this be part of the problem, or the whole problem?

> Help!

> j_ma...@oscarfab.demon.co.uk
> Oscar Faber-Water Division, Marlborough House, Upper Marlborough Rd,
> St. Albans, Herts. AL1 3UT.

I can't give you the answer to your proplem, but try to place the Acess
Database in a directory with a path without long filenames. It sounds
crazy but i had a lot of trouble ( I got an "Opertion invalid at this
time" ODBC Error when i tried to edit existing records), which
disappeared when i moved the Database. It's worth a try.

regards

Other Threads