Accessing a MS Access Database with Delphi 4

Sorry for the crossposting, but since this is a kind of hurry, I prefer to
do it this way instead of posting it in each and every newsgroup.

I have a pretty simple question. I'm developping an application, usually the
text data is hardcoded into the application. I want now to put it in a MS
Access database. It works, but the only "problem" is that on a fresh new
system, it requires the Borland Database Engine... is there any way at all
to avoid this? The application is supposed to be on a CD-Rom and won't be
installable, it should be run from the CD-Rom and shouldn't use any external
DLL or stuff from outside of the CD-Rom.

Is there anyway to have all I need inside the main EXE file, or DLLs to put
in the directory or any other solution?

(And while I'm at it, I'm not famillar with using BDE, if I want to release
an application, how do I distribute it with the BDE?? I mean, is there an
extra software to install to be able to run the applications?)

Thank you very much, I would prefer to have a reply in email if possible.

Nicolas LeBlanc
Computer Engineering 4th Year
U.Q.A.C.

Re:Accessing a MS Access Database with Delphi 4

You have to install BDE-Runtime on the target system, which is done preferably
using Install-Shield
Express (comes with Delph 4 CD)

I'd prefer a textfile containing all foreign language texts.
A far as I understand, You do not maintain the DB on the target system.

regards

Heinrich Braun

Nicolas LeBlanc schrieb:

> Sorry for the crossposting, but since this is a kind of hurry, I prefer to
> do it this way instead of posting it in each and every newsgroup.

> I have a pretty simple question. I'm developping an application, usually the
> text data is hardcoded into the application. I want now to put it in a MS
> Access database. It works, but the only "problem" is that on a fresh new
> system, it requires the Borland Database Engine... is there any way at all
> to avoid this? The application is supposed to be on a CD-Rom and won't be
> installable, it should be run from the CD-Rom and shouldn't use any external
> DLL or stuff from outside of the CD-Rom.

> Is there anyway to have all I need inside the main EXE file, or DLLs to put
> in the directory or any other solution?

> (And while I'm at it, I'm not famillar with using BDE, if I want to release
> an application, how do I distribute it with the BDE?? I mean, is there an
> extra software to install to be able to run the applications?)

> Thank you very much, I would prefer to have a reply in email if possible.

> Nicolas LeBlanc
> Computer Engineering 4th Year
> U.Q.A.C.

Re:Accessing a MS Access Database with Delphi 4

The usual philosophy for multilingual App's is using ressources.

Anyway I had the same problem: opening a Access DB on CD. My solution became
a product now:

http://www.germany.net/teilnehmer/101.63156

Other Threads