Install to non-default Hard drive

On Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:10:54 -0400, Louis Rizzuto

<Big_Lou_Rizz...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>I have been hearing that there have been serious problems in getting many
>vendor applications to install their products to non-default hard drives.

>That is, vendor's app installs only seem to work when a User allows the
>vendor's install to take place on the hard drive that *they* specifiy -
>usually hard drive C:.

I've never had that problem with any of the commercial software I use.

-Steve

Re:Install to non-default Hard drive

Steve Schafer (TeamB) wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:10:54 -0400, Louis Rizzuto
> <Big_Lou_Rizz...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> >I have been hearing that there have been serious problems in getting many
> >vendor applications to install their products to non-default hard drives.

> >That is, vendor's app installs only seem to work when a User allows the
> >vendor's install to take place on the hard drive that *they* specifiy -
> >usually hard drive C:.

> I've never had that problem with any of the commercial software I use.

> -Steve

Hi, steve.  What commercial software would that be Steve?  Install
commercial software or commercial Win applications?

I seem to have come across a incompatibility problem where another
person installed Delphi 2 using IBM's Aptiva install program instead of
Win 95 install from the Win 95 Control panel and this seemed to have
caused problems.

I am not sure but it seems logical that if I use Win95 to install Delphi
I can't reasonablly use IBM's Aptiva install program to un-install
Delphi - and vice versa.  Do you agree?

Or, would you say that since both MS and IBM (and all other commerical
vendors) are supppose to allegedly use MS''s Install and Registry
Standards, should be 100% compatible with each other?

A friend of mine states, most emphatically, that they have had problems
using the MS W95 Control Panel Install/un-install and prefer the IBM
Aptiva Install.Un-install.

This doesn't make sense to me - that MS's Install/Un-install should have
problems since they(MS)  invented the Install/Registry Standards so
their Install/Un-install should work 100% of the time, right?

My friend states that because so many (w95/Win 3.1) people had problems
with MS's Install/Un-install (and other apps vendor's install/Un-install
)this gave rise to companies creating commercial 'general'
install/Un-install apps which use detail log files of what is installed
so they can accurately Un-Install appps they install - to overcome these
Install/Un-install problems.  Is this the case?

Me?  I am just not sure what is up.  Thanks for any help.

Regards, -= Lou Rizzuto =-

Re:Install to non-default Hard drive

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:56:00 -0400, Louis Rizzuto

<Big_Lou_Rizz...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>Hi, steve.  What commercial software would that be Steve?  Install
>commercial software or commercial Win applications?

Commercial applications.

>I seem to have come across a incompatibility problem where another
>person installed Delphi 2 using IBM's Aptiva install program instead of
>Win 95 install from the Win 95 Control panel and this seemed to have
>caused problems.

I'm not sure what the issue is here. There is no Win95 install
program, per se. When you install a program from Control Panel's
Add/Remove Software, all it does is look at the CD or diskette for a
SETUP.EXE or INSTALL.EXE, and then runs that. It's completely up to
the application's own installation program to take care of registry
entries and saving uninstall information.

I'm not familiar with any enhanced installation facility IBM's Aptiva
might have.

Steve Schafer (TeamB) wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:56:00 -0400, Louis Rizzuto
> <Big_Lou_Rizz...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> >Hi, steve.  What commercial software would that be Steve?  Install
> >commercial software or commercial Win applications?

> Commercial applications.

> >I seem to have come across a incompatibility problem where another
> >person installed Delphi 2 using IBM's Aptiva install program instead of
> >Win 95 install from the Win 95 Control panel and this seemed to have
> >caused problems.

> I'm not sure what the issue is here. There is no Win95 install
> program, per se. When you install a program from Control Panel's
> Add/Remove Software, all it does is look at the CD or diskette for a
> SETUP.EXE or INSTALL.EXE, and then runs that. It's completely up to
> the application's own installation program to take care of registry
> entries and saving uninstall information.

Hmmm.  I might have messed up my D2 install because I did NOT use the Control
Panel to execute the Setup.exe on the CDROM.  I went directly to the Install
directory on the CDROM and executed setup.exe.  However, when I un-install
I use the Control Panel add/remove.

Do you think this might make for a bad install since I didn't use the control
Panel for the Install?  I am currently experiencing problems with the D2
(Developer Edition) Install not properly configuring the BDE.

I get the following error this afternoon: "There was a problem in
configuring the BDE."  I just posted a nother msg asking for help on BDE
relatd problems that caused me to un-install and re-install D2 but it didn't
help and I am still getting both these BDE errors(The second error occurs
when I selelct DatabaseName and set it to "DBDEMOS".).

> I'm not familiar with any enhanced installation facility IBM's Aptiva
> might have.

> -Steve

I don't know if the IBM Aptiva install/un-install is 'enhanced' (it is just
different and I suspect it is not compatible with the Win95 Control Panel
install/un-install in some way.). According to my friend the Aptiva Install
seems to work better at installing I.E 3.0 than the Win95 Control Panel.

Your explanation makes sense.  I am going to un-install D2 - using the
Control Panel - and re-install using the Control Panel and see what happens.
I can't use D2 in it's present form with these BDE errors.

Regards, -= Lou Rizzuto =-

Re:Install to non-default Hard drive

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997 14:43:04 -0400, Louis Rizzuto

<Big_Lou_Rizz...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>Hmmm.  I might have messed up my D2 install because I did NOT use the Control
>Panel to execute the Setup.exe on the CDROM.  I went directly to the Install
>directory on the CDROM and executed setup.exe.  However, when I un-install
>I use the Control Panel add/remove.

>Do you think this might make for a bad install since I didn't use the control
>Panel for the Install?

No. As I said, using Control Panel to install an application is no
different from installing it directly using the application's own
setup program.

>I get the following error this afternoon: "There was a problem in
>configuring the BDE."  I just posted a nother msg asking for help on BDE
>relatd problems that caused me to un-install and re-install D2 but it didn't
>help and I am still getting both these BDE errors(The second error occurs
>when I selelct DatabaseName and set it to "DBDEMOS".).

Uninstall Delphi, but before reinstalling it, verify that all traces
of the original installation are gone from the hard disk, as I
mentioed elsewhere.

Steve Schafer (TeamB) wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 1997 14:43:04 -0400, Louis Rizzuto
> <Big_Lou_Rizz...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> >Hmmm.  I might have messed up my D2 install because I did NOT use the Control
> >Panel to execute the Setup.exe on the CDROM.  I went directly to the Install
> >directory on the CDROM and executed setup.exe.  However, when I un-install
> >I use the Control Panel add/remove.

> >Do you think this might make for a bad install since I didn't use the control
> >Panel for the Install?

> No. As I said, using Control Panel to install an application is no
> different from installing it directly using the application's own
> setup program.

> >I get the following error this afternoon: "There was a problem in
> >configuring the BDE."  I just posted a nother msg asking for help on BDE
> >relatd problems that caused me to un-install and re-install D2 but it didn't
> >help and I am still getting both these BDE errors(The second error occurs
> >when I selelct DatabaseName and set it to "DBDEMOS".).

> Uninstall Delphi, but before reinstalling it, verify that all traces
> of the original installation are gone from the hard disk, as I
> mentioed elsewhere.

> -Steve

Hi, Steve.  I did what you said.  I un-Installed D2 - check for directories -
dleted them - same for Registry.

I then did install of D2 to E:.

What I got this time and this refreshed my memory of what I got the last
install is a immediate message:  "String variable is not large enough for
string.  Check the string decalartions."  "Error 401"

I ingored it.  Not much choice but to click OK - as I did this time as well.

I have no idea how to do what it asked me to do above.

After install I got same BDE "Warning":  "There was a problem configuring the
BDE.

I noticed after the un-install that the BDE directory was left in place - so
I deleted it.  I deleted all directories including the entire Delphi 2.0
directory just to be sure.

On install - I just checked - I got all the directories back and IDAPI32.DLL
is in the BDE directory.

This string thing - "Error 401"  seems like it is the cause of this problem.

Got any idea what is up?  Thanks much for{*word*154} in here.  :)

I am purely frustrated at not being able to continue my Delphi deevelopment.

I repeat - I didn't have this problem in the past in installing and
un-installing.  somwething is different but I don't know what.  This string
error 401 is different; but I don't know what to do about it or what caused
it.

Regards, -= Lou Rizzuto =-

Steve Schafer (TeamB) wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Oct 1997 14:43:04 -0400, Louis Rizzuto
> <Big_Lou_Rizz...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> >Hmmm.  I might have messed up my D2 install because I did NOT use the Control
> >Panel to execute the Setup.exe on the CDROM.  I went directly to the Install
> >directory on the CDROM and executed setup.exe.  However, when I un-install
> >I use the Control Panel add/remove.

> >Do you think this might make for a bad install since I didn't use the control
> >Panel for the Install?

> No. As I said, using Control Panel to install an application is no
> different from installing it directly using the application's own
> setup program.

> >I get the following error this afternoon: "There was a problem in
> >configuring the BDE."  I just posted a nother msg asking for help on BDE
> >relatd problems that caused me to un-install and re-install D2 but it didn't
> >help and I am still getting both these BDE errors(The second error occurs
> >when I selelct DatabaseName and set it to "DBDEMOS".).

> Uninstall Delphi, but before reinstalling it, verify that all traces
> of the original installation are gone from the hard disk, as I
> mentioed elsewhere.

> -Steve

Hi, Steve.  I think I finally got a clean install of D2.  The trick seemed to
be I had to literally get rid of every Registry entry that was in and under
"Delphi".  Once I did that I no longer got that string error nor the warning
that the BDe couldn't be configured properly.

As far as I could determine it had nothing to do with other copies of the BDE
on my Borland HD E:.  I moved them to my D: drive and I still had the above
problems.

My error was in not deleting ALL the "Delphi" and or "Borland" Registry
entries. I didn't think I had to do that since I had what seemed non-BDE
Delphi related information in some of the  Registry entries.  I did not have
to delete the Registry entry for "Borland" under which Visual C++ Builder
was entered.  This is what held me back from deleting the "Borland" entry
entirely.  I didn't want to delete the Registry for Visual C++.  as it turnsd
out this was the only Registry entry I had under "Borland" entires and it
worked fine - as far as I can tell.

I no longer get the 'initialization error -$2109' when I set the DatabaseName
for TTable.  All the signs look good so far.

Anyway it looks like it now works as if it were the very first install.  I
say this since the Install asks me for full, detail, contact information for
registering D2 with Borland again.  It didn't do this in the past since the
Registry apparently had related entries.

Thanks much for{*word*154} in there with me.  I was actually thinking about
sending D2 back - and that would have saddened me greatly.  but it has been
over 2 weeks of messing around without success that got me to that mental
state.

I just wish Borland would put out a detail doc explaning what goes with what
in the Registry (for the install) and what needs to be deleted manually if
there is a bad install.  I think this would save a lot of un-resolved
inquiries and User frustration and disaatisfaction with Delphi.

I just found out ReportSmith was sold by Borland and was not bundled with D3.
 That Borland doesn't support ReportSmith according to one Borland rep.(See a
recent response in this Install NG on this matter by Brian.

I know I can't find any Borland Reportsmith NG.  Is there one and if not why
not since ReportSmith was sold with D1 & D2.

This kind of behaviour on the part of Borland makes me nervous.  How am I, or
any Borland customer suppose to get support for ReportSmith from Borland -
which we paid for when we bought Delphi 2?

Regards, -= Lou Rizzuto =-

Other Threads