Connecting to ORACLE using SQL*Net 2 from Delphi 1

Wing Lam <w...@minster.york.ac.uk> wrote:
>We have an ORACLE database served from a VAX system using SQL*Net 1,
>and can connect to this just fine from BDE and a Delphi 1 application.

>We have tried moving the database to an ORACLE server on HP-Unix
>running SQL*Net 2, but just can't make the conection to it from BDE.
>SQL*Net 2 seems to use a diferent connection mechanism which is not
>recognised by Delphi.

>If anyone has managed to connect to ORACLE via SQL*Net 2 then we
>would greatly appreciate some help.

I was in that same situation. After days (and nights) of testing and
thinking, the only difference I could imagine was the SQL*NET version.
So I reinstalled that 1.x.x.x.x on the client (without removing
anything). Everybody yells at me that this has nothing to do with it
(without saying how to do it, BTW...), but ever since, I get
connected...

Good luck!

Jasper

PS: please take into consideration
- when replying, I just think I know;
- when asking, be sure that I don't.

Re:Connecting to ORACLE using SQL*Net 2 from Delphi 1

dirks...@euronet.nl (Jasper Stil) wrote:
>Wing Lam <w...@minster.york.ac.uk> wrote:
>>We have an ORACLE database served from a VAX system using SQL*Net 1,
>>and can connect to this just fine from BDE and a Delphi 1 application.

>>We have tried moving the database to an ORACLE server on HP-Unix
>>running SQL*Net 2, but just can't make the conection to it from BDE.
>>SQL*Net 2 seems to use a diferent connection mechanism which is not
>>recognised by Delphi.

>>If anyone has managed to connect to ORACLE via SQL*Net 2 then we
>>would greatly appreciate some help.
>I was in that same situation. After days (and nights) of testing and
>thinking, the only difference I could imagine was the SQL*NET version.
>So I reinstalled that 1.x.x.x.x on the client (without removing
>anything). Everybody yells at me that this has nothing to do with it
>(without saying how to do it, BTW...), but ever since, I get
>connected...
>Good luck!
>Jasper
>PS: please take into consideration
>- when replying, I just think I know;
>- when asking, be sure that I don't.

If you have SQL Net 2 then you should also have a little DBPing
utility that comes with Oracle install CD's.  What is/was your error
message?
Leo M. Singh
(DataMaster Inc.)
l...@datam.com

Re:Connecting to ORACLE using SQL*Net 2 from Delphi 1

>Wing Lam <w...@minster.york.ac.uk> wrote:

> We have an ORACLE database served from a VAX system using SQL*Net 1,
> and can connect to this just fine from BDE and a Delphi 1 application.

> We have tried moving the database to an ORACLE server on HP-Unix
> running SQL*Net 2, but just can't make the conection to it from BDE.
> SQL*Net 2 seems to use a diferent connection mechanism which is not
> recognised by Delphi.

> If anyone has managed to connect to ORACLE via SQL*Net 2 then we
> would greatly appreciate some help.

I had a similar experience.  I'm using Oracle on an NT machine using an
IPX/SPX LAN using SQL*Net 2.  If you aren't already using the SQL*Net 2
utility (sorry, I don't remember the name...) to define yer lan, do so first.
This utility will create TNSNAMES.ORA and SQLNET.ORA files which define the
protocol (tcp/ip, ipx/spx, netbeui, whatever...) as well as the database sid
and other address and routing data.  Once this is created and distributed to
all the nodes defined in the SQLnet network, use the ping utility to test it
out... but first you must use the sqlnet network setup utility to configure
the sqlnet network (the db server, protocol, machine names, etc...)

I hope this puts you in the right direction... but, if you've already done
this stuff, make sure there is only one copy of the .ORA files on each
machine (rename the others...) finaly take a closer look at the sub-version
of sqlnet 2 you are running... I had the same problem when migrating to
version 2... after a week of going back'n'forth with Oracle tech support, it
turned out I needed an updated version from Oracle... that fixed it !

Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you

Zareh
      |:-)

Re:Connecting to ORACLE using SQL*Net 2 from Delphi 1

> >Wing Lam <w...@minster.york.ac.uk> wrote:

> > We have an ORACLE database served from a VAX system using SQL*Net 1,
> > and can connect to this just fine from BDE and a Delphi 1 application.

> > We have tried moving the database to an ORACLE server on HP-Unix
> > running SQL*Net 2, but just can't make the conection to it from BDE.
> > SQL*Net 2 seems to use a diferent connection mechanism which is not
> > recognised by Delphi.

> > If anyone has managed to connect to ORACLE via SQL*Net 2 then we
> > would greatly appreciate some help.

Wing,

Whenever you need to connect to Oracle using SQL*NET2.x you need to
leave the NET PROTOCOL parameter in the BDE blank.  This is because the
TNSNAMES file already contains the network information and you end up
doubling it (e.g. t:t:server...).  Make sure you get in both the driver
setup and the alias setup.

Good luck

Mike Destein
Systems Engineer
Borland International
Washington D.C. Office

Re:Connecting to ORACLE using SQL*Net 2 from Delphi 1

>Whenever you need to connect to Oracle using SQL*NET2.x you need to
>leave the NET PROTOCOL parameter in the BDE blank.  This is because the
>TNSNAMES file already contains the network information and you end up
>doubling it (e.g. t:t:server...).  Make sure you get in both the driver
>setup and the alias setup.

Yes, needs to be blank not only for the alias but for Oracle as well.
Delphi then connects via SQL*Net v2 very well.

Other Threads