Re: How to Interface to USB

2005-10-25 07:50:56 PM
delphi184
Thanks, but that is answering the wrong question :-) The device *is
connected through* a USB port (see above).
You said the "client needs to use this with a GPS connected through the
USB port".
You did not say the GPS unit *only* had a USB port.
There is no serial port (on most
notebook computers, for example)for one to use the hardware solution you
proposed.
I take it then you did not understand my post. The hardware I suggested
is designed specifically to deal with those case, such as you suggest with
new laptops, where there is no serial port on the laptop but the GPS unit
only has a serial port connection such as many older GPS units. That is,
the hardware I suggested has a USB connection that goes into the
computer's USB port, and serial port part that connects to to the GPS
unit's serial cable.
If your GPS unit *only* has a USB port that is something of course
different.
Kevin
--
Software for resource managers and researchers
www.ecostats.com

Re: How to Interface to USB

K. Sallee writes:
If your GPS unit *only* has a USB port that is something of course
different.
Not necessarily, AFAIK more than half of them just have a chip
internally that emulates a serial port, so it looks like a serial port
to the computer host (And the manufacturer hardly has to do anything to
support USB).
Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: How to Interface to USB

Not necessarily, AFAIK more than half of them just have a chip
internally that emulates a serial port
I do believe you are correct, but if I was not clear, I only meant the
actual physical plug in the back of the GPS familiar with most consumers,
not the inner workings.
Kevin
--

K. Sallee writes:

>Not necessarily, AFAIK more than half of them just have a chip
>internally that emulates a serial port

I do believe you are correct, but if I was not clear, I only meant the
actual physical plug in the back of the GPS familiar with most
consumers, not the inner workings.
Sorry, misread your message :).
Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock