video capture, firewire

2006-03-15 09:05:18 PM
delphi10
Hi all,
I've a few questions about Delphi5 and video capture from a firewire source.
When answering, please keep in mind that I am new to object oriented
programming and Delphi5, so far I have only experience with TurboPascal and C.
1. What's the easiest way to capture pictures from a firewire source?
I'm looking for the easiest or fastest way to program it, not necessarily
the cheapest way.
2. What do you think about XVideoOCX? Is this a recommended product?
Are there any simple examples for XVideoOCX with Delphi?
3. I tried VideoOCX, but it seems that not all is working. For example, the
function
XShowVideoFormatDlg();
seems not to work at all. May be it is my fault. I asked the author a few
questions and got no answers so far.
4. A short example from the VideoOCX help file:
" XShowInWindow allows you to display a XVideoOCX image in any window in
your application. Make sure to pass a valid graphics context (HDC) to this
function (XXX in C++, XXX in VB). "
Question: How do I define a window in Delphi, and how do I get this HDC
pointer?
Thanks,
Michael

Re:video capture, firewire

Hi Michael,
Video over firewire is not really standardized, many use their own rolled
versions. Best thing is to use a capture driver that hides the firewire part
and integrates with DirectX. You then communicate with the driver using
DirectX, and don't have to worry about where and how the actual video signal
is produced.
FWIW, I have used the Carnegie Mellon CMU 1394 driver for one project, but
it is C++ and to use it in delphi you will have to write a C++ wrapper. It
also doesn't work for nearly enough firewire cameras.
www.cs.cmu.edu/~iwan/1394/
Kind regards,
Nils

Re:video capture, firewire

Hi Nils,
Video over firewire is not really standardized, many use their own rolled
versions. Best thing is to use a capture driver that hides the firewire
part and integrates with DirectX. You then communicate with the driver
using DirectX, and don't have to worry about where and how the actual
video signal is produced.
Can you recommend such a driver? Where can I find it?
Thanks,
Michael

Re:video capture, firewire

Hi,
Give a try to TVideoGrabber, it could support your firewire capture device.
The home page is www.datastead.com/vidgrab/
Michel.
"Michael Koch" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>a crit dans le message de
[...]

Please take a look at VideoLab - www.mitov.com . It is free for non
commercial and evaluation usage, and does firewire.
With best regards,
Boian Mitov