Re: What are the Top 10 stinkiest bugs in Delphi 7?

2003-08-27 09:38:23 PM
delphi39
And while it is late, I still hope that Borland
does recognize this and chooses to change its ways.
Politicans tell the truth
You don't get drunk of beer
Borland fixes bugs

Re: What are the Top 10 stinkiest bugs in Delphi 7?

for 99% of Delphi users this is the most irritating behavior in
Delphi 7
That strikes me as overwhelmingly unlikely. I had no idea it was even an
issue until I saw people talking about it here.
Cheers,
Jim Cooper
Jim Cooper XXXX@XXXXX.COM
Tabdee Ltd www.tabdee.ltd.uk
TurboSync - Connecting Delphi with your Palm

Jim Cooper writes:

That strikes me as overwhelmingly unlikely. I had no idea it was even an
issue until I saw people talking about it here.

Hi Jim, I asked you couple of months ago, about whether you are going
to publish your presentation at DCon or not, and IIRC you said that you
would see if you are allowed to publish it. Any news?
Sorry for keep on asking. :)
Wien.

Re: What are the Top 10 stinkiest bugs in Delphi 7?

Besides that, the numbers AO showed say it all..
Less than 1% of all posible votes are cast.
This *cries* for a vote exchange.
Anybody selling votes?

Re: What are the Top 10 stinkiest bugs in Delphi 7?

Hey Anders,
What to the hell should this thread be? Do you, Borland, use the votes to
find out if a bug should be fixed or not? I can not believe that!!! The bugs
are there and they do hurt us. If there are much or less votes for it makes
no difference. How should we vote for bugs with so less votes we have? I
have all my votes placed to only 2 bugs, but you can believe me that there
are hunderts of other bugs which I also will vote if I had more votes. The
voting system in QC is the biggest {*word*99}p I have ever seen. The fact that you
seems to use this system to decide if a bug gets fixed or not is a very
stupid thing.
What's with all you other customers, which yre not activly on the newsgroups
/ QC? The userbase who does use the NG/QC is very small to the complete
userbase. Are all this customers ignored?
The quality of the Broland support (specially for Delphi!) seems to falling
more an more down. it is allready far below what a customer expect to be the
low quality support for his all day using product.
Sorry for this words but I am absolutly upset by this thread and teh pure
Delphi 7 support by Borland! (missing Delphi 7 patch)
Regards
Rolf
"Anders Ohlsson (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Lee Grissom writes:

>Anders Ohlsson (Borland) writes:
>

>>There are 6,817 QC users. 5 votes each for the Delphi project makes
>>34,085 total votes.
>>
>>Only 3,350 votes are used in the entire QC system. Not good.
>>

>Hang on.... The above statement assumes that *all* QC users are
>*interested* in Delphi

Well kind of, but allow me to explain. You get 5 votes per project of
which Delphi is one. There are
6,817 users. That gives us 34,085 votes per project. There are at least
10 projects in QC. This makes
for at least 340,850 votes.

Given that there are 3,350 total votes placed alltogether in the
totality of QC - we have less than 1%
coverage with the votes that we have so far. So people need to start
voting!

--
BorCon 2003 - www.borland.com/conf2003 - The Greatest Event Ever

Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence
Endures
Enabling our customers to move into the future without abandoning their
past
homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/disclaimer_ani.gif

Re: What are the Top 10 stinkiest bugs in Delphi 7?

Good to hear, I was rather puzzled by Danny's classification of that one!
But since Danny explained it more, I know changed my vote to "feature
request" and it sounds on
Danny that it is possibly a "won't do" and should be closed.
--
BorCon 2003 - www.borland.com/conf2003 - The Greatest Event Ever
Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence Endures
Enabling our customers to move into the future without abandoning their past
homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/disclaimer_ani.gif

Re: What are the Top 10 stinkiest bugs in Delphi 7?

That's really easy to say, but consider this: for 99% of Delphi
users this is the most irritating behavior in Delphi 7.

99%? Now *that's* definitely inventing statistics... ;)
--
BorCon 2003 - www.borland.com/conf2003 - The Greatest Event Ever
Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence Endures
Enabling our customers to move into the future without abandoning their past
homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/disclaimer_ani.gif

Re: What are the Top 10 stinkiest bugs in Delphi 7?

"Ender" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Open Internet Explorer and uncheck File/Work offline menu item.
It's already unchecked. We're sitting behind a corporate firewall. In
order to get onto the internet using HTTP we startInternet Explorer, at
which point a login dialog appears for the firewall userid and password -
enter these and close the dialog, then IE displays with a "can't find page"
screen, although the correct target URL is in the address bar - clicking GO
then takes us to that URL. This is a real pain, but our IS department says
it's as it should be (no comment!!).
This works fine for web pages through IE, but when I start QualityCentral, I
get the same firewall login screen, but when I enter a username/password and
hit OK, that is when I get the errors reported earlier. What's needed is
some way to have QualityCentral send the userid/password.
Dave White

Re: What are the Top 10 stinkiest bugs in Delphi 7?

John,
In your point of view this may be correct but on the view of us customers it
is not correct and it is to classified as a bug. Point!
Regards
Rolf
"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Ingvar Nilsen writes:
>Good to hear, I was rather puzzled by Danny's classification of that
one!

Again, Danny is correct, not Anders.

--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
$1280/$50K: homepages.borland.com/jkaster/tnt/thanks.html

Re: What are the Top 10 stinkiest bugs in Delphi 7?

Any again you just ignoring you customers... :-((
Rolf
"Anders Ohlsson (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>Good to hear, I was rather puzzled by Danny's classification of that
one!

But since Danny explained it more, I know changed my vote to "feature
request" and it sounds on
Danny that it is possibly a "won't do" and should be closed.

--
BorCon 2003 - www.borland.com/conf2003 - The Greatest Event Ever

Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence
Endures
Enabling our customers to move into the future without abandoning their
past
homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/disclaimer_ani.gif

Re: What are the Top 10 stinkiest bugs in Delphi 7?

QC3180: BLOB memory leak in Kylix's dbExpress driver for Oracle makes work
with BLOB data impossible.

QC3413, 3414: ORA-06550 on Oracle stored functions and output parameters
bug. Great features of client/server techinque was rendered useless with
these bugs.

Neither of these are for Delphi 7.
--
BorCon 2003 - www.borland.com/conf2003 - The Greatest Event Ever
Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence Endures
Enabling our customers to move into the future without abandoning their past
homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/disclaimer_ani.gif

Re: What are the Top 10 stinkiest bugs in Delphi 7?

"Rolf Frei" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
Sorry for this words, but I am absolutly upset by this thread and the [poor] Delphi 7 support by Borland! (missing Delphi 7 patch)
Rolf, Which part of a such a patch are you most missing? Rgds, JohnH

Re: What are the Top 10 stinkiest bugs in Delphi 7?

Danny you are wrong. The ordering of the projects itself was never
alphabetic and this is good so for the compilation order as you described.
We are talking about the unit order inside the single projects. This was
broken in Delphi 7 and is so unproductive now as I can not believe you can say this
was an intentional change. This hurts the most of us and I see absolutly
nothing which can breing mor productivity to my by this change.
Rolf
"Danny Thorpe" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>schrieb im Newsbeitrag

"Erwien Saputra" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
>Jeff Overcash (TeamB) writes:
>>
>>It was an intentional design change. It is not a bug.
>
>I was not aware that there is new implementation that somehow broke the
>nature of project manager. Can you point new feature in the project
>manager that break this functionality?

I believe the reason has to do with order of compilation. The order in
which things are listed in the project manager determines the order in
which
they are built. Alpha sorting your makefile is not a great idea. The
fact
that the previous IDE allowed it may have been a bug.

I may be thinking of project groups, dunno about files. I don't see much
of
the IDE these days.

-Danny

Re: What are the Top 10 stinkiest bugs in Delphi 7?

Petr,
I haven't checked these QC numbers, but on all of them where you've said
"simple fix", I assume
that you have logged said simple fix in the report as well?
#2246 - TCombobox gives AV when selecting empty item from dropdown
(simple fix, serious issue IMHO)

#4436 - Memory leak in SOAP server applications - 34 bytes per request.
(simple fix, serious issue IMHO)

#5699 - Apache shared modules do not work with latest Apache 2.0.4x
(annoying problem)

#5737 - Generating WSIL from Service Page Info causes Access Violation
(simple fix)

#5738 - TRegistry class leaks a register key handle if LazyWrite = False.
(simple fix)

#5739 - Unit OPToSoapDomConv.pas references unneeded units. It increases the
size of executable file about 400k comparing to Delphi 6.
(simple fix)

#4762 - Single type SoapToVariant deserialization error

Petr.

--
BorCon 2003 - www.borland.com/conf2003 - The Greatest Event Ever
Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence Endures
Enabling our customers to move into the future without abandoning their past
homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/disclaimer_ani.gif

Re: What are the Top 10 stinkiest bugs in Delphi 7?

If nothing else, Anders, your post (this thread) seems to already have a
positive impact on QC participation... <g>

Excellent! That was an intended side effect. ;)