Ask a Language Designer

2004-01-30 07:47:59 AM
delphi48
msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/team/language/ask/default.aspx
I was surprised how often the answer was basically 'because that is
what C++ does'.
--
Nick Hodges (TeamB)
Lemanix Corporation - (www.lemanix.com)

Re:Ask a Language Designer

Nick Hodges (TeamB) writes:
msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/team/language/ask/default.aspx

I was surprised how often the answer was basically 'because that is
what C++ does'.
This is a lot less surprising when you note that C, C++ and C# appear
to share the same single alpha character. Unless that was the point
you were trying to make. =) <vbg>
Will

Re:Ask a Language Designer

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
This is a lot less surprising when you note that C, C++ and C# appear
to share the same single alpha character.
I think you've summed it all up rather nicely. ;-)
Unless that was the point
>you were trying to make. =) <vbg>
I think the point I was making is that the main message seems to be "We
didn't want to{*word*211}off the C++ developers we are sucking up to.". ;-)
--
Nick Hodges (TeamB)
Lemanix Corporation - (www.lemanix.com)
Improve the quality of Delphi! Get your bugs into QC:
qc.borland.com

Re:Ask a Language Designer

writes:
Could've been worse. Imagine the scenario where the answers were
'because that is what VB(Visual Basic) does'
You have a good point there.
--
Nick Hodges (TeamB)
Lemanix Corporation - (www.lemanix.com)
Improve the quality of Delphi! Get your bugs into QC:
qc.borland.com

Re:Ask a Language Designer

In borland.public.delphi.non-technical, "Nick Hodges (TeamB)"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes <4019a9bf$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>...
I was surprised how often the answer was basically 'because that is
what C++ does'.
Could've been worse. Imagine the scenario where the answers were 'because
that is what VB(Visual Basic) does'
<shudder>
--
***Free Your Mind***

Re:Ask a Language Designer

<"David Clegg"<dclegg_at_ebetonline_dot_com>>writes
Could've been worse. Imagine the scenario where the answers were 'because
that is what VB(Visual Basic) does'
<shudder>
ROTFLMAO!!!
Good one! Anders H. saved us? <G>

Re:Ask a Language Designer

Jason F. Kowalski writes:
Considering that C# is loosely based on C++, why is that surprising?
I was hoping Anders H would have been able to exert more influence. Oh
well.
--

"Nick Hodges (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote
msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/team/language/ask/default.aspx

I was surprised how often the answer was basically 'because that is
what C++ does'.
Considering that C# is loosely based on C++, why is that surprising?

Re:Ask a Language Designer

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:37:08 -0700, "Jason F. Kowalski"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
"Nick Hodges (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote

>msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/team/language/ask/default.aspx
>
>I was surprised how often the answer was basically 'because that is
>what C++ does'.

Considering that C# is loosely based on C++, why is that surprising?
Uh... I would consider that C# is based far more on Java. I'd also
consider Java to be based on C with objects.
There is almost nothing in common between C++ and C#/Java beyond the
C-language subset, and the use of a keyword called 'class'.
But I stray into the realm of a pedant...
--
Barry Kelly
It wasn't me.

Re:Ask a Language Designer

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:32:35 +0000, Barry Kelly
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
But I stray into the realm of a pedant...
An ambigous line. Perhaps I should add <g>.
<g>
--
Barry Kelly
It wasn't me.

Re:Ask a Language Designer

"Nick Hodges (TeamB)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
I was surprised how often the answer was basically 'because that is
what C++ does'.
This might be an unpopular statement here, but I think Bjarne Stroustrup,
the inventor of C++, was far ahead of Anders H. in this regard, and Anders,
being no dummy, is simply deferring to the master. This strikes me as an
imminently sensible thing to do. All great men stand on the shoulders of
giants.

Re:Ask a Language Designer

imminently sensible thing to do. All great men stand on the shoulders of
giants.
:) Did you know that was an ironical remark? Newton was ridiculing a
colleague, Wallis if I am not wrong, who was as tall as Lord Farquath.
Ian

Re:Ask a Language Designer

marc hoffman writes:
>I was surprised how often the answer was basically 'because that is
>what C++ does'.

let's see, how did this go...
Why is this a troll (or were you making a reference to your own post)?
Similarity to C++ is listed as a feature of C# by Microsoft.
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
Everything You Need to Know About InterBase Character Sets:
delphi.weblogs.com/stories/storyReader$306

Re:Ask a Language Designer

marc hoffman writes:
Because it is just here to continue the line of Nick's others "Look
how bad C# sucks and how great that makes Delphi look" posts.
That's reading a lot into Nick's post, IMHO. I don't see a value
judgement in this post at all.
There's nothing "sucky" about using patterns that a lot of people are
used to.
-Craig
Delphi/InterBase Weblog : delphi.weblogs.com
IB 6 versions prior to 6.0.1.6 are pre-release and may corrupt
your DBs! Open Edition users, get 6.0.1.6 from mers.com

Re:Ask a Language Designer

Considering that C# is loosely based on C++, why is that surprising?
because looking at it that way doesn't help if you're out to ridicule C#...