Newsreaders

2004-02-22 07:41:08 AM
delphi215
Are there any lightweight, free newsreaders out there that'll allow me to
put an entire thread into a text document without having to faff about using
cut and paste or writing my own?
--
Yours
Rhys

Re:Newsreaders

On 22/02/2004 01:41:08, Rhys Sage writes:
Are there any lightweight, free newsreaders out there that'll allow
me to put an entire thread into a text document without having to
faff about using cut and paste or writing my own?
XanaNews. File|Export Selected Articles.
--
Yorai Aminov (TeamB)
Shorter Path - www.shorterpath.com

Re:Newsreaders

At 00:41:08, 22.02.2004, Rhys Sage writes:
Are there any lightweight, free newsreaders out there that'll allow me
to put an entire thread into a text document without having to faff
about using cut and paste or writing my own?
Yes. XanaNews, the one I am using right now.
It's free, written in Delphi 7, comes with source, and is very well
supported. It can export any number of messages as one text file.
It has a lot of other advantages as well.
www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d7xananews.htm
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Love is friendship set on fire." -- Jeremy Taylor

Re:Newsreaders

Absolutely positive. It may be a 7 year old AT keyboard but it is my
favourite keyboard because it works so well (even though half the letters
have rubbed off).
--
Yours
Rhys
Join the anti-spam project:
or view my website:
www.sageworld.freeserve.co.uk
"Linux - an operating system that wants to work.
Windows - an operating system that mostly works.
Mac OS - an operating system that really works."

Re:Newsreaders

At 16:13:28, 22.02.2004, Eric Schreiber writes:
I just started using Xananews last week, and I have to say I am very
impressed. The only thing so far that disappoints me is that spell
checking (using ISpell) checks everything, not just the new text I've
typed.
I know. That is why I stopped using it. Hmmm... we do have the sources,
so I could try to find a solution to that.
Other than that, though, it is an amazing piece of work.
Yes, it is, and it is still constantly improving.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Hell is other people."

Re:Newsreaders

At 16:27:55, 22.02.2004, Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) writes:
At 16:13:28, 22.02.2004, Eric Schreiber writes:

>I just started using Xananews last week, and I have to say I am very
>impressed. The only thing so far that disappoints me is that spell
>checking (using ISpell) checks everything, not just the new text I've
>typed.

I know. That is why I stopped using it. Hmmm... we do have the sources,
so I could try to find a solution to that.
With "it", I meant spell checking, of course.
AFAIK, ISpell only checks what you throw at it, so it should be possible
to filter out quotes and headers before it is passed to ISpell. I have no
idea how ISpell reports back, so you'd perhaps to do some conversion to
get the original spot back.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"His ignorance is encyclopedic"

Re:Newsreaders

Rhys Sage writes:
Absolutely positive. It may be a 7 year old AT keyboard but it is my
favourite keyboard because it works so well (even though half the letters
have rubbed off).
Strange - I gather you click on "toggle all" and start typing in the box to
its right it refuses to accept certain keys?
--
Ben

Re:Newsreaders

Even stranger - the fault cleared up by itself!
Stranger than that - my server which yesterday locked me out is now working
again!
I suspect a network of gremlins run by bin Laden!
--
"Ben Hochstrasser" <bhoc@tiscali123^H^H^H.ch>writes

Rhys Sage writes:
I suspect a network of gremlins run by bin Laden!
Or some moron in the GWB administration got promoted <giggle>
--
Ben

Re:Newsreaders

Rhys Sage writes:
Are there any lightweight, free newsreaders out there that'll allow
me to put an entire thread into a text document without having to
faff about using cut and paste or writing my own?
In rn, it'd be
/Subject/sFilename
I believe.

Re:Newsreaders

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:41:08 -0000, "Rhys Sage" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>
writes:
Are there any lightweight, free newsreaders out there that'll allow me to
put an entire thread into a text document without having to faff about using
cut and paste or writing my own?
Free Agent does that - select thread, File / Save Messages As.
--
Barry Kelly
It wasn't me.

Re:Newsreaders

Ben Hochstrasser writes:
Works fine here. You sure there's no Alt key stuck? (In very rare
circumstances Windows seems to believe that one of the Alt/Shift/Ctrl keys
are pressed (while they're not) and treats my input as accelerated command
rather than simple text)
I believe this is a BIOS bug that dates back to the earliest IBM PCs.
It has carried through to the current PCs simply because they have to be
backward compatible. The best way to deal with it is simply to press
all 6 "shift" keys one after the other: Left-Shift, Left-Ctrl, Left-Alt
and then Right-Shift, ... Once you've pressed all the keys it removes
the "stuck" state. Weird.

Re:Newsreaders

Kevin <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>wrote in
I believe this is a BIOS bug that dates back to the earliest IBM PCs.
If not that, it could be just a cheap keyboard. The one's we've used in
the past have stuck keys on a regular basis.
--
Iman

Re:Newsreaders

Iman L Crawford writes:
If not that, it could be just a cheap keyboard. The one's we've used in
the past have stuck keys on a regular basis.
OK, never seen that ever occur... :-) Well, I don't settle for junk
keyboards I guess! Actually the worst keyboard I used was also one of
the most expensive: A "Microsoft Natural Keyboard" - couldn't stand it!
It was one of those things where I thought: "wow, sounds like a good
idea" and then in practice I could never get used to it.
I think I have seen the BIOS issue many times though.

Re:Newsreaders

I think the worst keyboard I have ever seen was a Microsoft cordless keyboard.
It had so many buttons and whatnots on it and took up so much space that
there seemed little room on the desk for a monitor!
I had a choice of paying ?0 for a keyboard + wheel mouse or ?0 for a
cordless keyboard. Obviously the ?0 keyboard won - simply because it was
better.
My current keyboard (the AT keyboard) had good stiff springs on the keys.
It's very tactile and not at all clackety unlike so many modern keyboards.