Delphi 8 vs Visual studio

2004-06-08 06:14:40 AM
delphi280
Hello,
could anyone point me to some material to help us decide which tool of
Delphi 8 or Visual studio we should use to deelop .NET apps.
Thanks,

Re:Delphi 8 vs Visual studio

That can be more easy if provide what kind of applications you want to
develop, if care about porting or support old code, if want or not
cross-compilation across plataforms or, if you visit a Delphi group
(then can expect: Delphi, of course) what you see for not use Delphi...
That its, is about .NET and only .NET or .NET+Win32 and maybe +Linux

Re:Delphi 8 vs Visual studio

"TObject" wrote
What's going to be next for Delphi 8 is hard to predict.
It seems to me that that will be it.
Actually, what's next for Delphi 8 has already been announced: Delphi 9.
Borland has started making add-ons for Visual Studio.
Take a look at Borland Together.
Given the timings involved, Together integration with VS was probably well
underway before Borland acquired TogetherSoft.
bobD

Re:Delphi 8 vs Visual studio

"Olivier" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes news:40c4e7a2$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
could anyone point me to some material to help us decide which tool of
Delphi 8 or Visual studio we should use to deelop .NET apps.
Most of us stick with Delphi, because we like the language.
You can not get that with Visual Studio.
There has been an unofficial patch that fixes some major IDE issues
related to ASP.NET development. Hopefully that patch will be officially
released soon. What's going to be next for Delphi 8 is hard to predict.
It seems to me that that will be it.
Borland has started making add-ons for Visual Studio.
Take a look at Borland Together.

Re:Delphi 8 vs Visual studio

"Bob Dawson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes news:40c501ba$XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
Actually, what's next for Delphi 8 has already been announced: Delphi 9.
So, basically, there will be no more updates
to Delphi 8 after the ASP.NET update, is that right?
>Borland has started making add-ons for Visual Studio.
>Take a look at Borland Together.
Given the timings involved, Together integration with VS was probably well
underway before Borland acquired TogetherSoft.
And that changes the fact that Borland now
provides add-ons to Visual Studio how?

Re:Delphi 8 vs Visual studio

TObject writes:

So, basically, there will be no more updates
to Delphi 8 after the ASP.NET update, is that right?
That's not known. The next Delphi will be awhile yet, so it is at least
possible another Delphi 8 update could happen, but I have no idea how great or
small the odds are.
"The purpose of morality is to teach you, not to suffer and die, but to
enjoy yourself and live." - Ayn Rand

Re:Delphi 8 vs Visual studio

"TObject" wrote

So, basically, there will be no more updates
to Delphi 8 after the ASP.NET update, is that right?
I didn't say that.
Your original statement "What's going to be next for Delphi 8 is hard to
predict. It seems to me that that will be it." could be read as implying
that Delphi 8 is 'last of the line' (i.e, that will be it), which is clearly not
the case. I am sure you wouldn't want your remarks misinterpreted in that
direction.
Following such a remark with
>>Borland has started making add-ons for Visual Studio.
might be seen as implying that this is some sort of significant focus shift
for Borland away from major development tools, rather than a healthy foray
into an area where MS is significantly behind.
bobD

Re:Delphi 8 vs Visual studio

If you need to develop Compact Framework applications, it is a nobrainer.
Only VS supports CF at the moment.
On the other hand, if you are skilled in Delphi and NET ( since D 8 comes with
no documentation for a NET beginner ) and are unwilling to learn C# and
dont mind paying a great deal more, then D 8 is an option.

Re:Delphi 8 vs Visual studio

"TObject" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Borland has started making add-ons for Visual Studio.
Take a look at Borland Together.
Even Kaster's .sig features Borland's Together for Visual Studio
prominently.

Re:Delphi 8 vs Visual studio

"Bob Dawson" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
"TObject" wrote
>What's going to be next for Delphi 8 is hard to predict.
>It seems to me that that will be it.

Actually, what's next for Delphi 8 has already been announced: Delphi 9.
So no more bug fixes for the rather unstable Delphi 8 ?
Poor suckers^H^H^H^H^H^H customers.

Re:Delphi 8 vs Visual studio

I am looking at developping new .NET application, specifically asp.net.
Besides "opinions" from members of this group I was looking for pointers to
articles, reports, etc..
I have been a user of Delphi since versin 1 and I love it but from a purely
business standpoint, I ma starting to wonder
- How easy is it to seel clients on using a non MS development tool?
- How easy is it to find Delphi developpers?
Olivier
"mamcx" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

I R T writes:
>Actually, what's next for Delphi 8 has already been announced:
>Delphi 9.

So no more bug fixes for the rather unstable Delphi 8 ?
NObody said anything of the sort.

Re:Delphi 8 vs Visual studio

Olivier writes:
I am looking at developping new .NET application, specifically asp.net.
Besides "opinions" from members of this group I was looking for pointers
to articles, reports, etc..
I have been a user of Delphi since versin 1 and I love it but from a
purely business standpoint, I ma starting to wonder
- How easy is it to seel clients on using a non MS development tool?
Clients usually does not interested what tools was used for solution of task
unless they not need to use development tools.
- How easy is it to find Delphi developpers?
Easy. Extremely. Call to the Russia, you find much of them. There are many
newbies of course who think about themselves as about mature programmers
and there are real {*word*155} programmers.

Re:Delphi 8 vs Visual studio

I R T in <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Even Kaster's .sig features Borland's Together for Visual Studio
prominently.
It sure does. It would be INCREDIBLY STUPID of Borland to develop a
product that we didn't want to sell. Good thing we're not incredibly
stupid!
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
Add a feature/Fix a bug: qc.borland.com

Re:Delphi 8 vs Visual studio

TObject writes:
In all fairness, I must say that up to day patched
Delphi 8 is reasonably stable, and definitely usable.

But, the show of support for Visual Studio from
the Borland side, put a huge question mark on
the future of Delphi in my book.
None of the Delphi team is working on Together or the other ALM products,
they all have their own teams that came with the purchase of those
companies. Further, VS integration was already there or being worked on
prior to Borland acquiring them - should Borland abandon a good source of
revenue? I think it is kind of neat that a *lot* of VS.Net users will be
looking to Borland for their ALM needs! Naturally MS is working to provide
equivalent tools of their own in these areas but at the moment Borland has a
big lead.
Those who disdain wealth as a worthy goal for an individual or a
society seem not to realize that wealth is the only thing that can
prevent poverty. - Thomas Sowell