Re: SA vs Upgrade price

2004-09-22 03:37:04 PM
delphi156
"Kristofer Skaug" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>skrev i melding
Hmmm... I wonder where that "summerish 2005" estimate came from,
I went to Danny's preconference tutorial and he said there would be a Delphi
release to coincide with the release of Whidbey (dotNet 2.0) or shortly
thereafter. Whidbey is slated for release in the summer of 2005.
Tom.

Re: SA vs Upgrade price

I am also planning the same.It is just not worth renewing SA year after year,when the product release & quality is not known
I made the mistake of doing this with delphi 8 & i found i have got nothing in return.It has become like a gamble.(I did get the updates.However the updates were any how availble for every one & not just people with SA)
If Borland comes out with a definite release dates & update dates, the SA makes sense.Now every thing is ver vague & one can not gamble.
More over Kylix was bundled with delphi 7 architect.If one has A SA license do we get all upgrades for all products or only the main product.
Venkatesh
>Can someone tell me which is cheaper, SA (with prospect for only 1 major
>release in the next 12 months: D9) or buying a single Upgrade (e.g. D8
>Architect ->D9 Architect)?

Hi Kristofer.

I'm considering the same thing. I have Delphi 8 and will probably upgrade to D9
and then buy SA at the same time (this way, I am hoping to get both D9 and
D9+1 sometime next year). I am hoping the pricing won't change much from the
D7->D8 upgrade pricing schema which I found very reasonable.

Best Regards,

Tom.

Re: SA vs Upgrade price

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:

I believe that is exactly what SA is -- you pay only the SA amount
every year after the initial purchase, and get all Delphi updates as a
result.
If Delphi updates were more frequent (and unpredictable), there would be
more incentive to buy SA.
Right now you'd be pretty much an optimist if you bought SA for 1 year
along with a major Delphi release, since statistically Delphi releases
are 16 months apart on the average (below are shipping dates, as far as
I've been able to track it through old press releases etc):
D1 ->March 1995
D2 ->March 1996 ->12 months
D3 ->May 1997 ->26 months
D4 ->Aug 1998 ->15 months
D5 ->Sep 1999 ->13 months
D6 ->June 2001 ->21 months
D7 ->Aug 2002 ->14 months
D8 ->Dec 2003 ->16 months
D9 ->Jan 2005 ->13 months (best case)
--
Kristofer

Re: SA vs Upgrade price

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:

Bottom line: Software assurance is a great deal over the long haul.
I've been forgetting that you get "incident support" (3 calls) in
addition to the upgrades.
So you are paying for more than just the software.
To Borland's credit, I have never had any need for that kind of support...
:-)
--
Kristofer

Re: SA vs Upgrade price

Kristofer Skaug writes:
Right now you'd be pretty much an optimist if you bought SA for 1 year
along with a major Delphi release
Buying SA for 1 year _only_ is not going to be worth the money, its in
years 2+ that you start to gain
--
Phil

Re: SA vs Upgrade price

Kristofer Skaug writes:
Anyone?
I found at least one slightly usable data point for this:
I bought Delphi 7 Architect with SA; SA was roughly 1000 Euro.
Delphi 8 Architect Upgrade from Delphi 7 is now 1470 Euro (at my local
reseller).
So SA has saved us 470 Euro (or roughly 30% off) versus regular upgrade
price.
<gamble>
The price relationships could (would probably?) be roughly
the same, or at least not significantly worse, for D9.
</gamble>
If D10 were to actually arrive before Oct/2005, then it (SA) would be a
*really great* deal.
--
Kristofer

Re: SA vs Upgrade price

Phil Shrimpton writes:

Buying SA for 1 year _only_ is not going to be worth the money, its in
years 2+ that you start to gain
If you cannot just pick up an SA contract at any time, but only when you
buy a product,
it means you also cannot just go without SA for, say, the first year, and
then slap on insurance when you feel a new release is drawing near.
It also means the SA makes most sense for "late adopters". <g>
E.g. in my case - I bought Delphi 7 Architect with SA, 3 months before D8
shipped.
It was a {*word*76}y expensive buy, and I haven't used either package, for
various reasons.
But in terms of getting a nice rebate on D8, it was "worth it" at the
time.
Anyhow, two years' worth of SA is definitely more money than one upgrade
of Delphi 7 Arch ->D8 Arch.
So I am not even sure it is such a great deal in the long term. It remains
a gamble.
You do of course also pay for the opportunity to verbally abuse Borland
Support 3 times per year,
and this could be very invigorating for your mental health. <eg>
--
Kristofer

Re: SA vs Upgrade price

Kristofer Skaug writes:
Right now you'd be pretty much an optimist if you bought SA for 1 year
along with a major Delphi release,
I agree -- that is why I have repeatedly pointed out that SA is very
valuable /in the long run/. It is most definitely not valuable for a
one time deal.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re: SA vs Upgrade price

Kristofer Skaug writes:
So I am not even sure it is such a great deal in the long term. It
remains a gamble.
It's /clearly/ a very good deal over a 3-5 year span.
--

Kristofer Skaug writes:
If D10 were to actually arrive before Oct/2005, then it (SA) would be
a *really great* deal.
Once again, let me point out that the purpose of SA is not to "gamble"
on release dates.
--

Venkatesh VT writes:
I am also planning the same.It is just not worth renewing SA year
after year,when the product release & quality is not known
I made the mistake of doing this with delphi 8 & i found i have got
nothing in return.It has become like a gamble.(I did get the
updates.However the updates were any how availble for every one & not
just people with SA) If Borland comes out with a definite release
dates & update dates, the SA makes sense.Now every thing is ver vague
& one can not gamble.
With SA at 30% of product price per year, you would have to go ~3.3 years
without a new version before SA would become a bad deal. Any release sooner
than that saves you money.
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are
injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say
there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks
my leg." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: SA vs Upgrade price

Wayne Niddery [TeamB] writes:
With SA at 30% of product price per year, you would have to go ~3.3
years without a new version before SA would become a bad deal. Any
release sooner than that saves you money.
Heh, wrong. All it takes is 2 years of no updates to become a bad
deal. Take the Pro SKU of Delphi. $1000 for new user. $400 for
upgrade. $300? (30% of $1000) for SA. Pay for SA twice and you've
lost money.
BTW, am I insane or is the shop.borland.com pricing just a BIT screwed
up? It claims you can save up to 25% on Delphi 8 upgrades, but the
prices all look the same to me (at least, the Pro SKU is still $399).
But get this, when you go to check out, it says SA is $1000 for *one*
year...
Posted a screencap of it in .attachments under the subject of "Insane
pricing at shop.borland.com...".
Will
--
Want a 64-bit Delphi compiler for AMD64 / IA-32e? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details

Re: SA vs Upgrade price

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
BTW, am I insane or is the shop.borland.com pricing just a BIT
screwed up? It claims you can save up to 25% on Delphi 8
upgrades, but the prices all look the same to me (at least, the
Pro SKU is still $399). But get this, when you go to check out,
it says SA is $1000 for one year...
No, shop.borland.com is definitely advertising S/A for Delphi 8,
for any edition, any version, any price, is $1,000. I just posted
the same thing a few threads up.
-Brion

Re: SA vs Upgrade price

In article <4151ac7c$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>,
XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
Will DeWitt Jr. writes:

>BTW, am I insane or is the shop.borland.com pricing just a BIT
>screwed up? It claims you can save up to 25% on Delphi 8
>upgrades, but the prices all look the same to me (at least, the
>Pro SKU is still $399). But get this, when you go to check out,
>it says SA is $1000 for one year...

No, shop.borland.com is definitely advertising S/A for Delphi 8,
for any edition, any version, any price, is $1,000. I just posted
the same thing a few threads up.

IIRC, that is the minimum price. If you order n things and n SA and the
sum of SA < 1000 then SA = 1000
--
John
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Re: SA vs Upgrade price

John Wester [Group W] writes:
IIRC, that is the minimum price. If you order n things and n SA and
the sum of SA < 1000 then SA = 1000
Then SA is a joke. No thanks.
Will