GMail needs ActiveX

2004-10-06 07:17:14 PM
delphi66
Today I was prompted to enable ActiveX.
It is kind of strange, since it worked without
them as I remember correctly.

Re:GMail needs ActiveX

Hrvoje Brozovic writes:
Today I was prompted to enable ActiveX.
It is kind of strange, since it worked without
them as I remember correctly.
Only in IE, AFAIK, you might find this worth a read--
slashdot.org/comments.pl
(And actually, that whole subthread, especially the post about
Mozilla/Firefox's XUL, are interesting).
Will
--
Want a 64-bit Delphi compiler for AMD64 / IA-32e? Vote here--
qc.borland.com/wc/wc.exe/details

Re:GMail needs ActiveX

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:
(And actually, that whole subthread, especially the post about
Mozilla/Firefox's XUL, are interesting).
Wow. Really interesting:
www.faser.net/mab/chrome/content/mab.xul
I knew that XUL was powerful, but not that much. <g>
--
Leonel
www.techtips.com.br

Re:GMail needs ActiveX

Leonel writes:
Wow. Really interesting:

www.faser.net/mab/chrome/content/mab.xul

I knew that XUL was powerful, but not that much. <g>
Yeah, that is what I was dropping hints at. :D Very cool stuff. I'll
take this over .NET for client apps any day of the week. =)
Will
--

Leonel writes:
www.faser.net/mab/chrome/content/mab.xul

I knew that XUL was powerful, but not that much. <g>
Nice hey. People have always said Delphi is written in Delphi. I
believe a similar thing can be said about Firefox (although not quite
the same)... Firefox sits on top of Gecko (XUL + Javascript I believe),
so it is almost like Firefox is running on Firefox. I could be wrong on
this one though- I know it was true for Mozilla so I think it still
holds true for Firefox as well. You can easily write pretty powerful
apps using XUL and the underlying framework.
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:GMail needs ActiveX

Kevin writes:
so it is almost like Firefox is running on Firefox
I think that is true, more if phrased as "the Firefox UI is running on
Firefox". But the example I quoted gives a more jaw-dropping
impression: Firefox is what you expect of a windows app. That page is
not what you expect of a web application.
FTR, I just showed that page to a co-worker, running Linux, and, as
expected, it worked pretty well.
--

Will DeWitt Jr. writes:

(And actually, that whole subthread, especially the post about
Mozilla/Firefox's XUL, are interesting).
just some more info.
There is already a 3rd party XUL implementation for Delphi (DINO) if you
were not aware of it..
'..
DINO (Gecko engine for Delphi and Kylix) ?is a cross-platform library
to develop applications in Delphi and Kylix based on GRE (Gecko Runtime
Enviroment). The library is a set of components for creating GUI
interface on several platforms.
..'
see
www.kamasoftware.com/products.php
(I have not used it yet, though)
siegs

Re:GMail needs ActiveX

Leonel writes:
I think that is true, more if phrased as "the Firefox UI is running on
Firefox". But the example I quoted gives a more jaw-dropping
impression: Firefox is what you expect of a windows app. That page is
not what you expect of a web application.
It is very nice. It is actually better than what you can achieve with
ASP.NET in many cases. And it has the benefit that the app is updated
automatically and stored in the cache to improve performance- the
benefits of RICH and REACH. And the REACH aspect is improved by the
fact that it runs on Mac, Linux and Windows.
FTR, I just showed that page to a co-worker, running Linux, and, as
expected, it worked pretty well.
Cool. I use Firefox and Thunderbird on my SuSE box at home.
Cheers,
Kevin.