Can't access www.borland.com from SUSE

2004-11-27 11:59:19 PM
delphi204
When I try to go to www.borland.com from the web browser in Suse linux it
tells me that the site cannot be found. I have tried the Konquerer and
Firefox web browsers. Both results are the same.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
--
Don Gollahon
XXXX@XXXXX.COM

Re:Can't access www.borland.com from SUSE

Don Gollahon writes:
When I try to go to www.borland.com from the web browser in Suse linux it
tells me that the site cannot be found.
No ploblem here.
Usualy you will get this message if you aren't connected to the net.
Click on the connector icon in the control bar and try it again.
Martin

Don Gollahon writes:
When I try to go to www.borland.com from the web browser in Suse
linux it tells me that the site cannot be found. I have tried the
Konquerer and Firefox web browsers. Both results are the same.

Any ideas?
You're sure to have the gateway set correctly ?
The DNS is giving the right answer ?
try
nslookup
which should give you the DNS
and
nslookup www.borland.com
which should give borlands IP
Rene
--
Ing.Buro R.Tschaggelar www.ibrtses.com
Your newsgroups @ www.talkto.net

Don Gollahon schrieb:
When I try to go to www.borland.com from the web browser in Suse linux it
tells me that the site cannot be found. I have tried the Konquerer and
Firefox web browsers. Both results are the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I have the same problem. I have asked Borland (with no response of course)
and my service-provider. He said this site has some issues with the
Nameserver TTL settings.
It only works from time to time now.

Re:Can't access www.borland.com from SUSE

I have the same problem. I have asked Borland (with no response of course)
and my service-provider. He said this site has some issues with the
Nameserver TTL settings.
It only works from time to time now.

I have to add that I can access all other borland-sites like
"community.borland.com/" I can even access the main site with
"borland.com/" but not with "www.borland.com/"

Re:Can't access www.borland.com from SUSE

A recent dig-DNS-check at the main swiss provider (ip-plus.net,
Swisscom) returns a "status: SERVFAIL" for www.borland.com (for several
months now):
; <<>>DiG 8.3 <<>>www.borland.com ANY @ns1.ip-plus.net
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 4
;; flags: QuickReport rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;; www.borland.com, type = ANY, class = IN
;; Total query time: 584 msec
;; FROM: wega to SERVER: ns1.ip-plus.net 164.128.36.34
;; WHEN: Sun Nov 28 01:59:45 2004
;; MSG SIZE sent: 33 rcvd: 33
To compare: this is the answer for "community.borland.com"
; <<>>DiG 8.3 <<>>community.borland.com ANY @ns1.ip-plus.net
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: QuickReport rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 3
;; QUERY SECTION:
;; community.borland.com, type = ANY, class = IN
;; ANSWER SECTION:
community.borland.com. 1H IN A 207.105.83.56
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
borland.com. 55m33s IN NS ns1.borland.com.
borland.com. 55m33s IN NS ns2.borland.com.
borland.com. 55m33s IN NS ns.borland.com.
;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.borland.com. 12h57m22s IN A 207.105.83.30
ns2.borland.com. 12h57m22s IN A 206.171.42.13
ns.borland.com. 12h57m22s IN A 143.186.11.70
;; Total query time: 195 msec
;; FROM: wega to SERVER: ns1.ip-plus.net 164.128.36.34
;; WHEN: Sun Nov 28 02:07:47 2004
;; MSG SIZE sent: 39 rcvd: 177

Re:Can't access www.borland.com from SUSE

If it helps the Borland people, here's the link to check it
www.borland.com doesn't work:
www.ip-plus.net/tools/dig.cgi
borland.com works:
www.ip-plus.net/tools/dig.cgi
If you like to contact the ip-plus people and think it is their problem:
www.ip-plus.net/contacts.en.html

Re:Can't access www.borland.com from SUSE

Yeah. Borland's a mess, at least DNS-wise. OTOH shareholders don't worry
about name servers, so why care?

GrŁezi Ben,
Is it true that most swiss-people can not access this server for months
now? Or is it just me?

theo writes:
A recent dig-DNS-check at the main swiss provider (ip-plus.net,
Swisscom) returns a "status: SERVFAIL" for www.borland.com (for several
months now):
<snip output from [outdated] DiG>
nslookup
set q=ns
borland.com
borland.com nameserver = ns1.borland.com
borland.com nameserver = ns2.borland.com
borland.com nameserver = ns.borland.com
ns.borland.com internet address = 143.186.11.70
ns1.borland.com internet address = 207.105.83.30
ns2.borland.com internet address = 206.171.41.23
lserver ns.borland.com
Default Server: ns.borland.com
Address: 143.186.11.70
www.borland.com
Server: ns.borland.com
Address: 143.186.11.70
*** ns.borland.com can not find www.borland.com: Server failed
lserver ns1.borland.com
Default Server: ns1.borland.com
Address: 207.105.83.30
www.borland.com
Server: ns1.borland.com
Address: 207.105.83.30
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to ns1.borland.com timed-out
lserver ns2.borland.com
Default Server: ns2.borland.com
Address: 206.171.41.23
www.borland.com
Server: ns2.borland.com
Address: 206.171.41.23
*** ns2.borland.com can not find www.borland.com: Server failed
exit
Yeah. Borland's a mess, at least DNS-wise. OTOH shareholders don't worry
about name servers, so why care?
--
Ben

Re:Can't access www.borland.com from SUSE

theo writes:
since they discontinued Kylix. ;-)
Kylix has most emphatically not been discontinued.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re:Can't access www.borland.com from SUSE

btw this is a snippet of the email I have sent to Borland in March 2004:
I asked my Provider what could be wrong and he said that
www.borland.com and ftpd.borland.com have way too short TTL configured:
www.borland.com. 30S IN A 207.105.75.31
30 Seconds is too short he said.
community.borland.com. 1H IN A 207.105.83.56
Normal TTL of 1 hour.

theo writes:
GrŁezi Ben,
Is it true that most swiss-people can not access this server for months
now? Or is it just me?
I have no problem - a straight nslookup reveals something usable. I don't
know what ip-plus' policy is re DNS failures - I have a stock ISC BIND as a
caching name server and it happily continues to serve me www.borland.com.
To me this looks as if ip-plus.ch screwed up (apart from Borland, that is).
May be an opportunity to write to both XXXX@XXXXX.COM and
XXXX@XXXXX.COM...
--
Ben

Re:Can't access www.borland.com from SUSE

Yes, it is a tad short (unless www.borland.com is on a satellite or so...)

Yes, and I take the opportunity to say that I don't care very much to
access their site now, since they discontinued Kylix. ;-)

Don Gollahon writes:
When I try to go to www.borland.com from the web browser in Suse linux it
tells me that the site cannot be found. I have tried the Konquerer and
Firefox web browsers. Both results are the same.
No probs here.. using Mozilla and Konquerer
borland.com
works ok on SuSE 9.1
siegs