They don't want me to give up on .net

2006-02-21 04:14:54 AM
delphi43
Last year our system ran flawlessly. It was our Delphi 7 SOAP client
and a SOAP web service on a LAMP platform. This year I was supposed use
our Delphi 7 SOAP client with a .net web service. The two web services
do essentially the same thing. Look at the packets on the wire and you
will see only one significant difference: the .net web service uses SOAP
Headers.
With Delphi 7 that should be no problem, I said naively. Before I could
make it work I had to edit the file generated by the WSDL Importer to
register the SOAP header and then I still had to find a pointer to the
SOAP Header and call send before each remote call. More work than it
was supposed to be, but it was working.
At least it was, until 3000 customers got a copy of the new program and
the intermittent failures showed up. Not every customer, not every
time, just often enough to light up all our phone lines. I collected
all the information I could and I have not seen any problem with the
response from the .net server. This problem is clearly in the Delphi 7
SOAP client. It just occasionally fails to see the SOAP Header. It's
there, I can see it in captured packets. I can get the TSoapHeader
object, but when try to Get the Header that needs to be echoed, nil.
I am running the latest patch to Delphi 7 and tried a number of
desperate things to shake the SOAP Header out of the Delphi 7 SOAP
client, but saw no improvement. Finally, I had to resurrect last years
web service and patch all of our customers, no headers - no problems,
but my bosses still want me to figure out how use the .net service.
Is there any explanation? Would upgrading to a new version of Delphi
fix it? Is there some technique I could use to force Delphi 7 to
reliably echo SOAP Headers?
Thanks in advance,
Scott Moe
Saxon Tax Software

Re:They don't want me to give up on .net

I've been using Delphi and producing good software for many years. In
the past when something doesn't work I could always dig up a workaround.
Since I have gotten no response on this newsgroup I thought I'd put in
a bug report on quality central. Only when I go there I see a page full
of errors from the borland server and at the top it says "SOAP HEADER
EXCEPTION". That figures.
I wish it was not so, but in light of borland's plan to divest the IDE
products I must conclude that we Dephi users are just circling the bowl.