Delphi... is there a new "{*word*76}" in our community?

2005-01-21 12:40:47 AM
delphi241
Hello,
It is in a way a poll, but not necessary...
Lets separate Europe, not-North America from North America.
So question is : it there a new people today who learn Delphi as a
first/primary tool for their future/current career?
With whole push for Linux, .Net, web, is there an interest to a Delphi as a
tool when people are start to think about field in IT they will be working
with?
* statistic about education centers where Delphi is a part of education
program (raising/falling)
* initial training program (raising/falling)
* Delphi community increasing/decreasing
* ...
All these stats are more or less marketing off course, but there should be
some somewhere, should it not?
--
Best regards, Serge Dosyukov
Dragon Soft

Re:Delphi... is there a new "{*word*76}" in our community?

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) writes:
* statistic about education centers where Delphi is a part of education
program (raising/falling)
* initial training program (raising/falling)
* Delphi community increasing/decreasing
* ...
You probably want to add "companies training up new employees to use
Delphi" to the list (i.e. internal training, not through some external
training center). That would also be a way that new developers are
entering the Delphi community. Or perhaps you included that in "initial
training program (raising/falling)"?
Cheers,
Kevin.

Kevin Berry writes:
Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) writes:
>* statistic about education centers where Delphi is a part of
>education program (raising/falling)
>* initial training program (raising/falling)
>* Delphi community increasing/decreasing
>* ...

You probably want to add "companies training up new employees to use
Delphi" to the list (i.e. internal training, not through some
external training center).
That is how I got my start.
--
Kenneth Weeks

Re:Delphi... is there a new "{*word*76}" in our community?

All these stats are more or less marketing off course,
but there should be some somewhere, should it not?
Completely informal and very loosely related to your question,
there is an informal poll on visitor's age at http//glscene.org
(Delphi library for OpenGL).
Even more informal and fuzzy, visitor timezone stats for
the site are here tinyurl.com/5hrzm
Eric

Re:Delphi... is there a new "{*word*76}" in our community?

"Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft)" <serge[no_spam]ATdragonsoftru.com>wrote in
message news:41efdf03
<subject>
Yes, my finger is bleeding. it is been so cold here, my skin got dried out
and cracked. Haven't had that happen since I used to (manually) deliver
sheetrock for a living.
--
Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Crazy Horse's crazier little brother writes:
"Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft)" <serge[no_spam]ATdragonsoftru.com>
writes news:41efdf03

<subject>

Yes, my finger is bleeding. it is been so cold here, my skin got dried
out and cracked. Haven't had that happen since I used to (manually)
deliver sheetrock for a living.
You used to deliver the sheetrock (drywall/gypsum board) without a
truck? Or did you only carry the sheets from the truck to the
customer's home? Did you handle the 12' sheets? Man, does that suck!
--
Kenneth Weeks

Re:Delphi... is there a new "{*word*76}" in our community?

"Ken Weeks" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

You used to deliver the sheetrock (drywall/gypsum board) without a
truck? Or did you only carry the sheets from the truck to the
customer's home? Did you handle the 12' sheets? Man, does that suck!
We put the sheets on trucks with a forklift, but then "custom-stocked" each
house by hand. We sometimes even toted the doubles 5/8" 12'.
I was really buffed back then (that was the good part). My nephew said my
biceps reached all the way to ceiling.
I didn't mind it most of the time, actually. There were a few jobs,
though..."The Trail of Tears," "The Trail of {*word*76}," "The Amityville
Horror," etc. that were truly terrible.
--
Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Re:Delphi... is there a new "{*word*76}" in our community?

Crazy Horse's crazier little brother writes:
I didn't mind it most of the time, actually. There were a few jobs,
though..."The Trail of Tears," "The Trail of {*word*76}," "The Amityville
Horror," etc. that were truly terrible.
We'll have to exchange construction work horror stories some time. I
was a stone mason in my {*word*249}age years ...
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re:Delphi... is there a new "{*word*76}" in our community?

Ok, we can count this in too
But then it will be just as the same as number of companies who use Delphi
as a development tool.
Then this number will never be released ;o) as was stated many times
--
"Kevin Berry" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) writes:
>* statistic about education centers where Delphi is a part of education
>program (raising/falling)
>* initial training program (raising/falling)
>* Delphi community increasing/decreasing
>* ...

You probably want to add "companies training up new employees to use
Delphi" to the list (i.e. internal training, not through some external
training center). That would also be a way that new developers are
entering the Delphi community. Or perhaps you included that in "initial
training program (raising/falling)"?

Cheers,
Kevin.

Re:Delphi... is there a new "{*word*76}" in our community?

Very nice chart and very presentable, but...
this makes this poll related to a specific OpenGL library.
I wonder if there is one for Borland/Delphi, Borland/BDN, Torry.net, Delphi
3000, ...
--
"Eric Grange" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes

"John Kaster (Borland)" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes>
We'll have to exchange construction work horror stories some time. I
was a stone mason in my {*word*249}age years ...
U dew halve a little of that hod-carrier look about ewe...
Long live Slade! <g>
--
Crazy Horse's crazier little brother

Re:Delphi... is there a new "{*word*76}" in our community?

Crazy Horse's crazier little brother writes:
I was really buffed back then (that was the good part). My nephew
said my biceps reached all the way to ceiling.
I love kids' imaginations. I was at a friends house and his young
daughter drew a family picture which they put on the fridge. Dad was
flexing, of course. He had double biceps on each arm. Cracked me up.
- x
--
Xavier Pacheco
Xapware Technologies Inc

Re:Delphi... is there a new "{*word*76}" in our community?

Serge Dosyukov (Dragon Soft) writes:
[snip]
It is in a way a poll, but not necessary...
Lets separate Europe, not-North America from North America.

So question is : it there a new people today who learn Delphi as a
first/primary tool for their future/current career?

[snip]
Yes, I'd suppose I fall in this category. I started playing with
Delphi (6) after being introduced to it by my employer about a year ago.
In my tertiary education and university I learned C++ and Java. Never
Pascal, although I just missed out as Turbo Pascal was swapped for Java
at my college the year I enroled. (booooo!)
Programming is not my role at work so I only really tinkered with it for
a while, wrote a few small personal apps. Then when the chance to make
a new web site for my employer came up, I jumped at it and could
basically choose the tool to use. We had VS2003 and Delphi 8 had just
arrived. There was also PHP etc I could have used.
Having played with the different languages I decided I preferred Pascal.
While Delphi 8 had its share of teething issues, it did the job beautifully
and was very kind to a new programmer like me with little real
programming experience and no real web or asp knowledge.
I have no formal Delphi training, I am a mixture of self taught,
Internet tutorials, questions I can ask at work, and most importantly
for the above project, the Delphi .NET for Developers Guide book by
Xavier Pacheco. (Oh yeah, and of course what I pick up in these news
groups!)
I am now happily using D2005.
--
Robin.
<disclaimer>Not an expert </disclaimer>

writes:
Hello,

It is in a way a poll, but not necessary...
Lets separate Europe, not-North America from North America.

So question is : it there a new people today who learn Delphi as a
first/primary tool for their future/current career?
Probably fewer in the US than Europe. Java and C++ rule in the US.
Here's one indicator
www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/index.htm

Re:Delphi... is there a new "{*word*76}" in our community?

Lets clarify a little a question description
It is in a way a poll, but not necessary...
Lets separate Europe, not-North America from North America.
It is obvioce that Europe, ex-USSR, east-Europe, South America (Brasil) has
stronger Delphi community then US, historically.
This is why requirement to divide...
So question is : it there a new people today who learn Delphi as a
first/primary tool for their future/current career?
Probably not as a requirement to get a job, because:
1. there are many jobs available in other categories, so switch to Delphi
might be temporary...
2. with few *good* jobs on a market people might decide to go somewhere else
soon after accepting new position...
3. If you proficient with other environment, it will be a disappointment to
start all over again...
With whole push for Linux, .Net, web, is there an interest to a Delphi as
a tool when people are start to think about field in IT they will be
working with?
There is no actual push from Borland to encourage people to use Borland
products - educations, press, support, advertising existing solutions...
* statistic about education centers where Delphi is a part of education
program (raising/falling)
* initial training program (raising/falling)
* Delphi community increasing/decreasing
I like link to a site visit statistic shown in some of the recent posts.
But is there more?