Re: When will there be an D2005 update 3?

2005-03-22 08:41:57 PM
delphi234
I also want to use D2005!!! Please give us a update to the speed issues, so
that we can take use of the new Tool Palette. I have payed for it.
-Atle

Re: When will there be an D2005 update 3?

"Jeanne (Borland)" wrote
... I will have to discuss this [variable performance on
different machines] with R&D, I guess.
Jeanne,
Can you make or find an environment capture tool that
your users could use to generate a report, which along
with a little questionnaire, would allow you to research
what factors in the environment are important to good
D2005 performance and which ones are not?
Then you might be able to easily reproduce the bad
environments for Borland's testing.
Regards, JohnH

Re: When will there be an D2005 update 3?

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" wrote

I'm pretty sure that Galileo isn't a complete, from the ground
up rewrite, so it doesn't really qualify.
Moot point. Joel is intelligent and well spoken, but that doesn't insulate
him from being simply wrong on occasion.
bobD

Re: When will there be an D2005 update 3?

Captain Jake writes:
I use both together every day now, and while I love the features in D2005, I
love the speediness of D7. I envy those people like German that have been
able to get D2005 to act as snappy as D7.
Dump some of the JVCL that you don't need. Seems like that is the
solution, isn't it?
Cheers,
Kevin.

Bob Dawson writes:
Moot point. Joel is intelligent and well spoken, but that doesn't insulate
him from being simply wrong on occasion.
I agree... rewrites are not always a bad thing. Look at Microsoft SQL
Server 7.0. AFAICR, that was a complete re-write. Microsoft changed
the underlying architecture quite radically and the product came out
much more solid and performed better as well.
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re: When will there be an D2005 update 3?

Even without any components, switching takes almost a second. And switching
between units take more. Creating new forms take a long time. It is very
annoying, and dumping the JVCL is not a solution at all. Borland should fix
it. It is a problem in their product, not in the fact that people use third
party components.
-Atle

Re: When will there be an D2005 update 3?

"Nick Hodges [TeamB]" <XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes
JED writes:

>Component Palette perhaps?

Yeah, the component palette! Yeah!
Just add CompBar to D7. A beautiful thing..
www.geocities.com/componentbar/.

Atle Smelvær writes:
Even without any components, switching takes almost a second. And switching
between units take more. Creating new forms take a long time. It is very
annoying, and dumping the JVCL is not a solution at all. Borland should fix
it. It is a problem in their product, not in the fact that people use third
party components.
I agree- they should fix it. I am just telling you how you could work
around the problem while they're working on a fix. :-)
Cheers,
Kevin.

Re: When will there be an D2005 update 3?

No kidding! I have not seen this one before. And I was just making such a
thing, but never had the time to finish it because of all my projects at
work.
Very nice. I will have a look at it very soon.
-Atle

Atle Smelvfr writes:
Even without any components, switching takes almost a second. And
switching between units take more. Creating new forms take a long
time.
Jake talk about the specific performance in a Athlon 64 XP 3.4/1Gb. All
us know is unusable in older hardware.
Im just commenting it work great in a new machine.
It is very annoying, and dumping the JVCL is not a solution at
all. Borland should fix it. It is a problem in their product, not in
the fact that people use third party components.
off course they must do.
German.

Re: When will there be an D2005 update 3?

Problem is, I do have a pretty new machine. AMD XP 3200+ with 1Gig ram.
400MHz. Everything else on my machine works very fast, except D2005...
-Atle

Kevin Berry writes:
Dump some of the JVCL that you don't need. Seems like that is the
solution, isn't it?
That's a stopgap. The component palette performance needs to be
improved. Allen's already aware of it ... when I mentioned it to him,
he said "Uh huh."
:)
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

John Kaster (Borland) writes:
Kevin Berry writes:

>Dump some of the JVCL that you don't need. Seems like that is the
>solution, isn't it?

That's a stopgap. The component palette performance needs to be
improved. Allen's already aware of it ... when I mentioned it to him,
he said "Uh huh."

:)
Uh huh we are lost!
Or
uh huh i have a idea! :)
?
German.

Germán Pablo Gentile writes:
>That's a stopgap. The component palette performance needs to be
>improved. Allen's already aware of it ... when I mentioned it to
>him, he said "Uh huh."

Uh huh we are lost!

Or

uh huh i have a idea! :)

?
I would interpret this as meaning, "Yes, I am aware of that."
-Craig
Everything You Need to Know About InterBase Character Sets:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/articles/403.aspx

Re: When will there be an D2005 update 3?

I would interpret this as meaning, "Yes, I am aware of that."
I hope it is a "Yes, I am aware of that. And we are just fixing it, releasing
a update 3 very soon".
-Atle