Re: IDEs Classic vs. New?

2005-07-13 11:20:51 AM
delphi3
DS writes:
>Scroll and hunt things that move around is not very practical. On my D6
>pallette (with GExperts) I can right click on the pallette, click the
>tab name I want from the popup, and click the control I want. I have a
>constant 3 clicks to get any control.

Ok, just to be sure, I am starting D2K5 now (21:43)...
... here we go (21:46 <G>)

Let's see.

1. I click *Categories* button...
2. I click *Jv Dialogs* category...
3. I double-click *TJvFindReplace* icon...
...and here it is.

3 clicks alltogether (OK, one is double-click).

Yes, but you KNEW where to look for the TJvFindReplace in the JV Dialogs category.
Let's suppose you didn't know where to find the TJvFindReplace component.
Since one can not list things alphabetically,
and if you didn't know about the non-visual search feature ( like me ),
you might spend a couple of minute or so looking for the control.
Heck, I think once I spent 5 minutes or more searching for a control.
It's very useful to know about the "type and search" feature.
However, I'd still prefer an old fashion edit when searching so that
I could search for things like "*page*".
I also think an edit type control would increase usability.

Re: IDEs Classic vs. New?

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
>Two clicks and no scrolling. Or 1 click if you're already on the
>right tab. Works for me.
As I said, to each his own. However, it most often isn't that simple,
especially as components are added and the palette gets bigger. At
least that is the way it is for me. I hate the old one.
I got loads of third party components.
I suspect when you refer to the Delphi 7 scrolling you mean the default
single line setup, which requires the, also for me irritating, scrolling
if you got more than a few components installed.
You may want to check out the free GExperts. It allows setting
multi-line component tabs. Switch it on and remove any components you
never use and suddenly no component is more than 2 clicks away without
scrolling. Next, tell GExperts to change the tabs to flat buttons to get
rid of the confusing multi-line tab jumping.
And even cooler you can also switch on multi-line for the editor window,
which means no more scrolling if you got many units open.
GExpert is worth installing for the multi-line components palette
feature alone.
Jan Derk

Re: IDEs Classic vs. New?

Michael Anonymous writes:
I didn't know that feature exists when I first tried the trial
version. I think because there wasn't an edit available to input the
search, I didn't know the feature existed.
There was an edit box where you type in in D8, IIRC. This is gone,
since it only was taking real space, because you can type in anywhere
in the palette, and the filter text appears on its title.
It has the disadvantage of making the feature a bit hidden for new
users, but once you get used to it, its great.
--
Leonel

Re: IDEs Classic vs. New?

Bryce K. Nielsen writes:
Yeah, I hate that too. Mainly because many times I accidentally drag
my mouse over wrong part of the screen, just to wait another
3+seconds for it to go away. I bought a fast machine to be
productive, not wait all this time. "Hottracking" is a baaaad idea...
Guess it is personal preference, then; I like it.
Useful articles about InterBase development:
blogs.teamb.com/craigstuntz/category/21.aspx

Re: IDEs Classic vs. New?

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
{snip}
... and have multiple places to grab one component.
I can not get this to work - I can create a new category and copy
components to it. But when I exit and restart, the newly created
category is not there. Is there something simple I am not doing?
Bill

Re: IDEs Classic vs. New?

I can not get this to work - I can create a new category and copy
components to it. But when I exit and restart, the newly created
category is not there. Is there something simple I am not doing?
I think you have to save the desktop, i.e. the IDE layout, (in the
View-menu) to make these changes persistent.
HTH,
Steve

Re: IDEs Classic vs. New?

Steve Heights writes:
>I can not get this to work - I can create a new category and copy
>components to it. But when I exit and restart, the newly created
>category is not there. Is there something simple I am not doing?

I think you have to save the desktop, i.e. the IDE layout, (in the
View-menu) to make these changes persistent.

HTH,

Steve

Doesn't seem to work on my computer. I had been saving the desktop from
the toolbar. I wonder if the pallet info is stored in a human readable
file somewhere....
Bill

Re: IDEs Classic vs. New?

John Wester [Group W] writes:
<snip>
We started doing it in our old timers beer league last year, mostly
because some nights we were only playing 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 and this made
things a bit easier on our aging legs...

You could always move one of the nets to centre ice, then your
end-to-end rushes would really speed up. <g,d&s>
Bill

Re: IDEs Classic vs. New?

In article <42d51eea$XXXX@XXXXX.COM>, XXXX@XXXXX.COM
says...
John Wester [Group W] writes:
<snip>
>We started doing it in our old timers beer league last year, mostly
>because some nights we were only playing 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 and this made
>things a bit easier on our aging legs...

You could always move one of the nets to centre ice, then your
end-to-end rushes would really speed up. <g,d&s>

Bill

We do that sometimes. Well, not quite, we move one of the nets to the
blueline and leave the other in place. Especially when we play at Father
David Bauer which is an Olympic sized rink.
--
John
Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Re: IDEs Classic vs. New?

Jan Derk writes:
It allows setting multi-line component tabs.
I know that -- and that is even worse, in my view. That huge stack of
tabs takes up precious vertical real estate, and since the tabs are
always moving, I can not find a particular tab easily at all. That
option is /worse/ in my view than the default.
--
Nick Hodges -- TeamB
Lemanix Corporation -- www.lemanix.com

Re: IDEs Classic vs. New?

Nick Hodges [TeamB] writes:
>It allows setting multi-line component tabs.
I know that -- and that is even worse, in my view. That huge stack of
tabs takes up precious vertical real estate, and since the tabs are
always moving, I can not find a particular tab easily at all. That
option is /worse/ in my view than the default.
After removing all unneeded packages I got about 40 component buttons in
two rows, which hardly takes away any vertical space. Although having a
main display with 1920x1200 pixels certainly helps. From a productivity
point I especially appreciate the fact that every component button is
always at the same location. No more searching, filtering or scrolling.
On small screens you can still use the GExperts component button or the
popup tabs menu, which takes you to any component in 3 clicks without
needing to scroll.
Jan Derk