Re: Relocating C:\Documents and Settings\

2005-07-18 08:58:47 AM
delphi150
At 02:38:59, 18.07.2005, listmember writes:
Wow!.. I suppose this is one way of doing it,
but I still can't believe it is so hard and
no one has done it.
forums.sudhian.com/messageview.cfm
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"I hope life isn't a big joke ... because I don't get it." -- Unknown

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] writes:
At 02:38:59, 18.07.2005, listmember writes:

>Wow!.. I suppose this is one way of doing it,
>but I still can't believe it is so hard and
>no one has done it.

forums.sudhian.com/messageview.cfm
This is definitely interesting. I would do it this way if I were
doing a fresh install. I wish Windows asked these during setup.
But, what to do for an already installed one. One that has
plenty of app and data on it...

Re: Relocating C:\Documents and Settings\

At 02:57:41, 18.07.2005, listmember writes:
To me it seems you answered too fast. The folder in
question is 'Documents and Settings' not 'My Documents'
Yes, indeed. Read my other reply.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] velthuis.homepage.t-online.de
"Copy from one, it is plagiarism; copy from two, it is research."

Re: Relocating C:\Documents and Settings\

But, what to do for an already installed one. One that has
plenty of app and data on it...
I had a quick look on TuCows
www.tucows.com/preview/293699
might be something like what you are looking for
www.sitedesign.ch/filemove/pro/english/
wasn't clear whether it moves all the registry stuff etc as well
HTH
Lauchlan M

Lauchlan M writes:
>But, what to do for an already installed one. One that has
>plenty of app and data on it...

I had a quick look on TuCows

www.tucows.com/preview/293699

might be something like what you are looking for

www.sitedesign.ch/filemove/pro/english/

wasn't clear whether it moves all the registry stuff etc as well
Hmmmm... While FileMove is only a folder sync thing,
your post along with Rudy's gave me an idea:
I could first copy all the folders's data to new partitions
and then do an installation like the way Rudy's pointer
describes...
This is the best solution I have found so far.
Thank you guys both.

Re: Relocating C:\Documents and Settings\

Hmmmm... While FileMove is only a folder sync thing,
your post along with Rudy's gave me an idea:

I could first copy all the folders's data to new partitions
and then do an installation like the way Rudy's pointer
describes...

This is the best solution I have found so far.
Glad it helped.
Out of interest, why do you want to move just the docs and settings folder,
but not the whole partition?
Perhaps this is an exercise in seperating out the data from the OS and
program stuff?
If so, it might be easier to move the data, leaving this partition as is . .
.
Lauchlan M

Lauchlan M writes:
>This is the best solution I have found so far.

Glad it helped.
It did; thanks again.
Out of interest, why do you want to move just the docs and settings
folder, but not the whole partition?

Perhaps this is an exercise in seperating out the data from the OS and
program stuff?
Precisely. I used to believe that it was good a idea to have as big
a partition as the disk allows. Times have changed :-)
Various things have different priorities. Backups, defragging,
blocksizes are all different for each of these things (OS, D&S,
PF).
It is no more a good idea to have all that stuff in one place.
I have *at* *home* nearly 2 TB of disk space and I have no way
of backing it up: tapes are no good anymore. I use RAID5 (I'd
like RAID50, or better IMHO RAID6 --search for Areca) but the
question remains.
Acronis TrueImage would take 2 days to image that disk space,
that is assuming I have another 2 TB to move that image to...
If the OS could be stripped from data and programs, I could
use Acronis just to take the image of the OS partition to
some remote disk and sleep better.
In my experience OS failures (due to upgrade, or some such silly
reason) have been the most painful ones, that is why I want to
isolate the OS from the 'boys'...
If so, it might be easier to move the data, leaving this partition
as is . . .
The data you are referring will no more be live data, just a stale
bakcup. For it to be live, all the pointers to it needs to be
altered too...
MS, in their wisdom, have made it impossible to alter Registry
for anyone other than current user. I hate them for that.
HTAYQ (Hope that answers your question :-) )

Re: Relocating C:\Documents and Settings\

It is no more a good idea to have all that stuff in one place.
I have *at* *home* nearly 2 TB of disk space and I have no way
of backing it up: tapes are no good anymore. I use RAID5 (I'd
like RAID50, or better IMHO RAID6 --search for Areca) but the
question remains.

Acronis TrueImage would take 2 days to image that disk space,
that is assuming I have another 2 TB to move that image to...
The TI normal compression reduces it by around 50%, the higher compressions
presumably by a bit more.
But you'd still need towards a TB, and the higher compression takes longer .
. .
If the OS could be stripped from data and programs, I could
use Acronis just to take the image of the OS partition to
some remote disk and sleep better.

In my experience OS failures (due to upgrade, or some such silly
reason) have been the most painful ones, that is why I want to
isolate the OS from the 'boys'...
Makes sense.
HTAYQ (Hope that answers your question :-) )
Yep it did, thanks.
For the most part anyway . . . I am not clear about what data's pointers
would have to be moved and why that would be hard. On the face of it
(without trying it) it would seem harder to move the OS.
But I am sure you've looked in to it . . .
Lauchlan M

Re: Relocating C:\Documents and Settings\

On 16 Jul 2005 12:54:58 -0700, "listmember"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
I am thinking of going the Unix way with my Windows box
and I'd like to relocate C:\Documents and Settings\
directory to a dedicated partition.

Does anyone know how this can be done without me going
manually through the registry and what not.
I did it the manual way on a fresh install. I created the new D&S
folder, searched for "Documents and Settings"in registry and then
changed it to the new location. Then I created a new user, logged out
my own, and in with the new, copied all the data from old D&S to new
folder (in command prompt, using xcopy with flags so i got all the
system files and whatnot). Then I rebooted.
I _think_ that was it, been a year since I did it :)
If i were you, I would do a ghost backup or similar first. Just in case.
- Asbjørn

Lauchlan M writes:
For the most part anyway . . . I am not clear about what data's
pointers would have to be moved and why that would be hard. On the
face of it (without trying it) it would seem harder to move the OS.
Just a couple brief examples:
1) I use Thunderbird. It stores its stuff (data and settings)
somewhere deep under D&S. If I moved D&S to a new partition,
I would have to re-teach TB where those are now. Some of this
info is in Registry, some are in the install dir of TB.
This is the kind of thing you have to take care for one app,
think of all the others.
2) I have quite a few applications that place a menu item
in Explorer ContextMenu. When I move PF folder to a new
partition, all these would have to be refreshed somehow.
A registry S&R might do this, but only for the current user
(mostly). You would have to login as each of users (having
given them Admin powers first) and do this stuff for each one
too.
Ouch!... Painful.
And, it really does no matter whether you moved the OS or
the other two. The moment you place one or the other in a
different partition, you're doomed and deemed to do the
above.
And, it is all (among other things) because MS still uses
drive letters!...
Anyway, my decision is to do a fresh install. Apply all the
magic people in this thread taught me and be done with it.
It is not feasible for anything but fresh setup.

Lord Crc writes:
I did it the manual way on a fresh install. I created the new D&S
folder, searched for "Documents and Settings"in registry and then
changed it to the new location. Then I created a new user, logged out
my own, and in with the new, copied all the data from old D&S to new
folder (in command prompt, using xcopy with flags so i got all the
system files and whatnot). Then I rebooted.
Thank for confirming my fears ;-)
A fresh install seems definitely the only way to do it.

Re: Relocating C:\Documents and Settings\

On 18 Jul 2005 16:14:37 -0700, "listmember"
<XXXX@XXXXX.COM>writes:
Thank for confirming my fears ;-)

A fresh install seems definitely the only way to do it.
The way I did it should work at any time, however there's a LOT more
references to hardcoded paths within the D&S tree, so a LOT more to
change :)
- Asbjørn